    This unit gets good reviews. http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-News.html
    anyone have any first hand knowledge/experiences? I am particularly
    interested in video performance via the component outputs. Thanks.
    Mike, Jul 31, 2006

  2. Mike

    Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > This unit gets good reviews. http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-News.html
    > anyone have any first hand knowledge/experiences? I am particularly
    > interested in video performance via the component outputs. Thanks.

    I bought one recently. I'd been looking for something that plays
    _everything_, has no layer change delay, and good image quality.

    I believe that the upsampling functionality only works via HDMI, rather
    than component. So admittedly I have not really spent much time with
    component on this unit.

    However - a few other points which may be of interest...

    -The upsampling does make a discernable difference, but only with
    'reference' type stuff like 5th Element, and likely stuff like Pixar
    flicks, where there's lots of really precise images.

    -720p looks good - 1080i - not sure; I think I'm seeing the interlacing
    taking place. Certainly not much benefit of 1080 over 720, for a non-HD
    source.

    -With every player I've used so far, I have had to change an aspect
    ratio setting on the TV each time I put in a widescreen disk. With this
    player, using the HDMI interface, it seems to lock into the correct
    aspect, saving me that step. I'll try it with shows I know to be of
    different aspect ratios, to be sure.

    -Plays everything I've thrown at it, so far. One Divx file showed
    occasional graphical corruption, and the artifacting looked a little
    stronger than on my Pioneer player - but I realized later on that I'd
    neglected to set the brightness and contrast on my TV for that
    particular input (these settings are not global on my TV), so it was
    really set rather bright. This was likely part of the issue there, at
    least for the artifacting - I'll have to try more DivX stuff to see
    about the corruption.

    -One Divx file had two types of subtitle files in the directory (.sub
    and .srt, I think) - whenever a bit of sub text appeared, the screen
    went nuts. Completely scrambled. On another Divx file, which had only
    one type of subtitle file, the display was fine and the subtitles
    worked. Have to nail that one down yet.

    -Plays Dual Layer +R disks. SWEET. When I did the burn (Batman
    Returns), the software griped that I hadn't actively assigned a layer
    change point. But, I noticed no change delay at all on playback.

    -Normally when I power off a player, the tray retracts on its own. Not
    in this case. The tray just sat stuck out. Weird. Retracts fine if I
    hit the 'tray' button, but the power-off doesn't pull it back in.
    Mildly weird. Could be a firmware thing.

    -Fast forward, until you go to about 8x, appears to catch almost every
    frame - so it feels very smooth, rather than jerky like in most
    players, updating every quarter-second or whatever.

    -There are also regularly-updated supported firmwares, and a
    non-supported community as well. Last rev was in March of this year. So
    people are still tweaking it. I thought I'd read that this unit might
    see 1080p with an upcoming firmware, but who knows - and again, for
    non-HD, I can see no difference between 720 and 1080.

    -All in all, I'm happy.
    , Jul 31, 2006

  3. Mike

    Bill's News Guest

    wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >> This unit gets good reviews.
    >> http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-News.html anyone have any
    >> first hand
    >> knowledge/experiences? I am particularly interested in video
    >> performance via the component outputs. Thanks.

    > I bought one recently. I'd been looking for something that
    > plays
    > _everything_, has no layer change delay, and good image
    > quality.
    >
    > I believe that the upsampling functionality only works via
    > HDMI,
    > rather than component. So admittedly I have not really spent
    > much
    > time with component on this unit.
    >
    > However - a few other points which may be of interest...
    >
    > -The upsampling does make a discernable difference, but only
    > with
    > 'reference' type stuff like 5th Element, and likely stuff like
    > Pixar
    > flicks, where there's lots of really precise images.
    >
    > -720p looks good - 1080i - not sure; I think I'm seeing the
    > interlacing taking place. Certainly not much benefit of 1080
    > over
    > 720, for a non-HD source.

    Being relatively new to this myself, I have a question regarding
    this statement:
    Wouldn't the native resolution of the screen prevail here? If
    one has a 720p screen, then that should be the resizing
    specified, if one has a 1080p screen, then 1080i should be the
    minimum targeted. Otherwise, the 720 image would have to be
    resized by the display?

    So far, I'm only able to fiddle with this sort of stuff via the
    Motorola cable-HDVR and there is no way that having that box
    output non-HD material at 720p looks as good as 1080i on a
    Westinghouse 42" 1920x1080p display. As a result of this
    observation I exclude 720 from the HDVR's knowledge of the
    display.

    The OPPO I've ordered should be here soon, so I guess I can know
    the answer then, as far as that device combination goes?

    > -With every player I've used so far, I have had to change an
    > aspect
    > ratio setting on the TV each time I put in a widescreen disk.
    > With
    > this player, using the HDMI interface, it seems to lock into
    > the
    > correct aspect, saving me that step. I'll try it with shows I
    > know to
    > be of different aspect ratios, to be sure.
    >
    > -Plays everything I've thrown at it, so far. One Divx file
    > showed
    > occasional graphical corruption, and the artifacting looked a
    > little
    > stronger than on my Pioneer player - but I realized later on
    > that I'd
    > neglected to set the brightness and contrast on my TV for that
    > particular input (these settings are not global on my TV), so
    > it was
    > really set rather bright. This was likely part of the issue
    > there, at
    > least for the artifacting - I'll have to try more DivX stuff
    > to see
    > about the corruption.
    >
    > -One Divx file had two types of subtitle files in the
    > directory (.sub
    > and .srt, I think) - whenever a bit of sub text appeared, the
    > screen
    > went nuts. Completely scrambled. On another Divx file, which
    > had only
    > one type of subtitle file, the display was fine and the
    > subtitles
    > worked. Have to nail that one down yet.
    >
    > -Plays Dual Layer +R disks. SWEET. When I did the burn (Batman
    > Returns), the software griped that I hadn't actively assigned
    > a layer
    > change point. But, I noticed no change delay at all on
    > playback.
    >
    > -Normally when I power off a player, the tray retracts on its
    > own. Not
    > in this case. The tray just sat stuck out. Weird. Retracts
    > fine if I
    > hit the 'tray' button, but the power-off doesn't pull it back
    > in.
    > Mildly weird. Could be a firmware thing.
    >
    > -Fast forward, until you go to about 8x, appears to catch
    > almost every
    > frame - so it feels very smooth, rather than jerky like in
    > most
    > players, updating every quarter-second or whatever.
    >
    > -There are also regularly-updated supported firmwares, and a
    > non-supported community as well. Last rev was in March of this
    > year.
    > So people are still tweaking it. I thought I'd read that this
    > unit
    > might see 1080p with an upcoming firmware, but who knows - and
    > again,
    > for non-HD, I can see no difference between 720 and 1080.
    >
    > -All in all, I'm happy.

    Thanks for the rest of the info regarding the OPPO too.
    Bill's News, Aug 1, 2006
  4. Mike

    Alpha Guest

    "Bill's News" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> -Normally when I power off a player, the tray retracts on its own. Not
    >> in this case. The tray just sat stuck out. Weird. Retracts fine if I
    >> hit the 'tray' button, but the power-off doesn't pull it back in.
    >> Mildly weird. Could be a firmware thing.
    >>
    >> -Fast forward, until you go to about 8x, appears to catch almost every
    >> frame - so it feels very smooth, rather than jerky like in most
    >> players, updating every quarter-second or whatever.
    >>
    >> -There are also regularly-updated supported firmwares, and a
    >> non-supported community as well. Last rev was in March of this year.
    >> So people are still tweaking it. I thought I'd read that this unit
    >> might see 1080p with an upcoming firmware, but who knows - and again,
    >> for non-HD, I can see no difference between 720 and 1080.
    >>
    >> -All in all, I'm happy.

    > Thanks for the rest of the info regarding the OPPO too.

    I would note that there are very many reports, with or without an OPPO, that
    most cannot see the difference between 720p and 1080....and not at all even
    on close inspection between 1080i and 1080p using HD DVD or Blu Ray sources.
    Alpha, Aug 1, 2006
  5. Mike

    Bill's News Guest

    Alpha wrote:
    > "Bill's News" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > I would note that there are very many reports, with or without
    > an
    > OPPO, that most cannot see the difference between 720p and
    > 1080....and not at all even on close inspection between 1080i
    > and
    > 1080p using HD DVD or Blu Ray sources.

    Thanks Alpha, it is all very subjective, eh?

    Having only the Motorola DVR supplied by the cable company with
    which to set the vertical lines being sent to the display I'll
    say this regarding viewing on a 1080p display: 720p seems less
    satisfactory (though I can't find a word to describe why), when
    compared with different segments of the same digital broadcast
    at 1080i . This is why I jump to the conclusion that
    up-converting to native screen size only is the right method.

    Also, since I presently use a PC as my DVD and MPEG2 capture
    player, I can state unequivocally that DVDs at 1080p are
    noticeably better than digital TV channels (720x480) upscaled by
    the Motorola. Of particular interest is how much better the
    captures on the PC appear when compared with playback of the
    same material from the Motorola. So I jump to the conclusion
    that algorithms differ.

    Obviously this does not speak well of the Motorola's resizing,
    which I thought was quite satisfactory before installing a
    modest ATI PCI card for 1920x1080p. I have no complaint
    whatever regarding the Motorola playback of HDTV recordings
    though I have yet to even see a BR or HD DVD player showing
    video on a 1920x1080 native display (I close my eyes in that
    section of BestBuy;-0) So my comments are limited to the
    equipment described.

    I'm not expecting the OPPO to surpass playback quality from the
    PC, only to surpass that of the Buffalo LT which was
    disappointing in comparison. Not to mention that neither the
    Motorola nor the Buffalo resizes letterbox to 1920x1080 - an
    irritation that may color other perceptions ;-0)
    Bill's News, Aug 2, 2006
  6. Mike

    BD Guest

    > Wouldn't the native resolution of the screen prevail here? If

    The 'native' resolution may well prevail, but I'm not convinced that
    HD-ready displays _have_ one native resolution. They display 480, 540,
    720 or 1080 - depending on what the input is.

    Granted, I'm speaking based on what I own, which is a rear-projection
    TV - an analog device, really.

    LCDs or Plasmas may be different in this regard.

    Regardless - I can see subtle differences between 540 and 720 with
    non-HD source, but only _very_ subtle. So really, the upsampling is not
    an earth-shaker.
    BD, Aug 2, 2006
  7. Mike

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "BD" <> wrote in message
    > The 'native' resolution may well prevail, but I'm not convinced that
    > HD-ready displays _have_ one native resolution. They display 480, 540,
    > 720 or 1080 - depending on what the input is.
    >
    > Granted, I'm speaking based on what I own, which is a rear-projection
    > TV - an analog device, really.
    >
    > LCDs or Plasmas may be different in this regard.

    Analog CRT displays can sync to different resolutions, but all digital
    panels (LCD, DLP, plasma, LCOS, etc.) are fixed-pixel devices. They have
    one and only one native resolution. Any other resolution input into the
    display will be scaled to that native resolution.
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 3, 2006
  8. Mike

    Bill's News Guest

    Re: OPPO DV-970HD ?First impression

    Bill's News wrote:
    > Alpha wrote:

    <snip>

    > I'm not expecting the OPPO to surpass playback quality from
    > the
    > PC, only to surpass that of the Buffalo LT which was
    > disappointing in comparison. Not to mention that neither the
    > Motorola nor the Buffalo resizes letterbox to 1920x1080 - an
    > irritation that may color other perceptions ;-0)

    Just arrived, 5 days ahead of Amazon's estimated arrival date.

    with DVI set to 1080i

    the first thing i compared was an xvid file converted from an
    MPEG2 capture via S-Video of a 1.8 letterbox digital channel,
    frame size 704x400, bit rate 2.192 mbps, converted with average
    motion scanning. I chose this because i had a copy on DVD and
    on the PC so I could toggle between them as they played the same
    scenes. The OPPO produces a perceptibly better image, I'd say
    as much as 10% better if I can adequately assign a value? And
    the PC outputs at 1080p.

    Next a DVD which is also letterbox at 2:35 appeared better than
    the PC by a about the same value. This is further supported by
    zooming the image to 1.8 in which case the image quality was
    pretty much undisturbed on the OPPO while this is not the case
    on the PC.

    In addition to the improved picture quality the OPPO player's
    scaling strategy is considerably smarter than the Buffalo LT, in
    that letterbox 640x480 is properly displayed on a 1920x1080
    display AND zooming works properly in addition. Another nice
    feature of the zoom is that fast-forward or chapter navigation
    does not reset it, rather the setting remains and speeded play
    appears in the zoomed state. I haven't tested layer change yet,
    which always caused the Buffalo to reset.

    OPPO's Xvid fast forward is superb compared when with the PC and
    especially with the Buffalo. One difference between OPPO and
    Buffalo is that the OPPO reads navigation data when loading the
    file, the Buffalo only at first navigation request - however the
    OPPO's data collection is much quicker than the Buffalo giving
    it two thumbs up.

    The OPPO is definitely a keeper

    BTW, setting DVI to each of 540, 720, and 1080 produces a
    perceptible quality change here on a 1920x1080p monitor.
    Matching the native resolution is the only way to go with this
    pairing.

    The next time one of the HD movie channels presents a film which
    I have on DVD I'll compare them. I've always had the feeling
    that cable channel HD movies are just DVD quality scaled up. I
    suppose, if that's true, that it will change now that HD
    mastering for BR & HD DVD has started?
    Bill's News, Aug 3, 2006
  9. Mike

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Bill's News" <> wrote in message
    > The next time one of the HD movie channels presents a film which I
    > have on DVD I'll compare them. I've always had the feeling that cable
    > channel HD movies are just DVD quality scaled up.

    Sorry, not true.
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 3, 2006
  10. Mike

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Bill's News" <> wrote in message
    >> The next time one of the HD movie channels presents a film
    >> which I
    >> have on DVD I'll compare them. I've always had the feeling
    >> that
    >> cable channel HD movies are just DVD quality scaled up.

    > Sorry, not true.

    Of course it's true, I have had the feeling!

    If you mean instead that the HD movie channels are using HD
    mastered copies of the films and then down-scaling to MPEG2 at
    16 or so mbps, then I'm happy to know that, if you can provide
    some authority to back up your statement.
    Bill's News, Aug 3, 2006
  11. Mike

    Bill's News Guest

    Re: OPPO DV-970HD ?First impression, second impression

    Bill's News wrote:
    > Bill's News wrote:
    >> Alpha wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >> I'm not expecting the OPPO to surpass playback quality from
    >> the
    >> PC, only to surpass that of the Buffalo LT which was
    >> disappointing in comparison. Not to mention that neither the
    >> Motorola nor the Buffalo resizes letterbox to 1920x1080 - an
    >> irritation that may color other perceptions ;-0)

    > Just arrived, 5 days ahead of Amazon's estimated arrival date.
    >
    > with DVI set to 1080i
    >
    > the first thing i compared was an xvid file converted from an
    > MPEG2 capture via S-Video of a 1.8 letterbox digital channel,
    > frame size 704x400, bit rate 2.192 mbps, converted with
    > average
    > motion scanning. I chose this because i had a copy on DVD and
    > on the PC so I could toggle between them as they played the
    > same
    > scenes. The OPPO produces a perceptibly better image, I'd say
    > as much as 10% better if I can adequately assign a value? And
    > the PC outputs at 1080p.

    an interlaced 640x480 xvid does not appear as smooth as it did
    using the Buffalo LT and is not as smooth as playback via the
    PC. If I zoom this image to 1.2 x or more on the OPPO the
    interlace artifacts become extreme with any motion, even the
    turn of a head.

    I have to retract the following observations, I'm in error. The
    DVD I had chosen is letterbox 1.8 and when it appeared on screen
    as if it were 2.25 I didn't observe any scenes long enough to
    notice that the OPPO, like every other crap player, merely
    stretches the letterboxed frame to full width and makes no
    adjustment in height. Even using the lowest HD upscaling of
    540p produces the same result on the 1080 screen. Oddly, when
    zooming this sort of distorted image the OPPO continues to
    expand in this warped ratio. To date, the only players I've
    used which handle this properly are VLC Media player and a VB6
    program I wrote myself to call the WMP API. This is not rocket
    science!

    > Next a DVD which is also letterbox at 2:35 appeared better
    > than
    > the PC by a about the same value. This is further supported
    > by
    > zooming the image to 1.8 in which case the image quality was
    > pretty much undisturbed on the OPPO while this is not the case
    > on the PC.
    >
    > In addition to the improved picture quality the OPPO player's
    > scaling strategy is considerably smarter than the Buffalo LT,
    > in
    > that letterbox 640x480 is properly displayed on a 1920x1080
    > display AND zooming works properly in addition.

    These observations remain true.

    > Another nice
    > feature of the zoom is that fast-forward or chapter navigation
    > does not reset it, rather the setting remains and speeded play
    > appears in the zoomed state. I haven't tested layer change
    > yet,
    > which always caused the Buffalo to reset.
    >
    > OPPO's Xvid fast forward is superb compared when with the PC
    > and
    > especially with the Buffalo. One difference between OPPO and
    > Buffalo is that the OPPO reads navigation data when loading
    > the
    > file, the Buffalo only at first navigation request - however
    > the
    > OPPO's data collection is much quicker than the Buffalo giving
    > it two thumbs up.

    This statement, while still true, is dampened by the poor
    letterbox performance.

    Bill's News, Aug 4, 2006
  12. Mike

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Bill's News" <> wrote in message
    > I have to retract the following observations, I'm in error. The DVD I
    > had chosen is letterbox 1.8 and when it appeared on screen as if it
    > were 2.25 I didn't observe any scenes long enough to notice that the
    > OPPO, like every other crap player, merely stretches the letterboxed
    > frame to full width and makes no adjustment in height. Even using the
    > lowest HD upscaling of 540p produces the same result on the 1080
    > screen. Oddly, when zooming this sort of distorted image the OPPO
    > continues to expand in this warped ratio.

    Go into the player's setup menu and change the aspect ratio option to
    "Wide/SQZ" before zooming.
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 4, 2006
  13. Mike

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Bill's News" <> wrote in message
    >> I have to retract the following observations, I'm in error.
    >> The DVD
    >> I had chosen is letterbox 1.8 and when it appeared on screen
    >> as if it
    >> were 2.25 I didn't observe any scenes long enough to notice
    >> that the
    >> OPPO, like every other crap player, merely stretches the
    >> letterboxed
    >> frame to full width and makes no adjustment in height. Even
    >> using
    >> the lowest HD upscaling of 540p produces the same result on
    >> the 1080
    >> screen. Oddly, when zooming this sort of distorted image the
    >> OPPO
    >> continues to expand in this warped ratio.

    > Go into the player's setup menu and change the aspect ratio
    > option to
    > "Wide/SQZ" before zooming.

    Many thanks for that, I had misinterpreted the guide, so never
    tried it.
    Bill's News, Aug 5, 2006