    This unit gets good reviews. http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-News.html
    anyone have any first hand knowledge/experiences? I am particularly
    interested in video performance via the component outputs. Thanks.
    Mike, Jul 31, 2006

  2. Mike

    Bill's News Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > This unit gets good reviews.
    > http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-News.html
    > anyone have any first hand knowledge/experiences? I am
    > particularly
    > interested in video performance via the component outputs.
    > Thanks.

    Recently placed one on order with Amazon, free shipping, no
    sales tax! will arrive before xmas ;-0) I ordered it
    specifically because of the favorable to rave reviews provided
    here and in other NGs - albeit largely by the same respected
    people.

    I will be using DVI, but have component cables and open ports on
    the monitor, so I'd be happy to try that too and see the
    difference. My principal interest is whether the much touted
    resize (up-convert) algorithm provides a better picture than the
    1080p output of my PC via ATI 9250 PCI. And whether it does
    proper cropping of 640x480 letterbox DVDs as I seem to have an
    awful lot of those :-(
    Bill's News, Jul 31, 2006

  3. Mike

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > This unit gets good reviews. http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-News.html
    > anyone have any first hand knowledge/experiences? I am particularly
    > interested in video performance via the component outputs. Thanks.

    I have it. It does an outstanding job of upsampling ...but only thru
    dvi/hdmi...component won't do it. Build quality is superior as is support. A
    great product.
    Jim Waggener, Jul 31, 2006
  4. Mike

    Alpha Guest

    "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >> This unit gets good reviews. http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-News.html
    >> anyone have any first hand knowledge/experiences? I am particularly
    >> interested in video performance via the component outputs. Thanks.

    > I have it. It does an outstanding job of upsampling ...but only thru
    > dvi/hdmi...component won't do it. Build quality is superior as is support.
    > A great product.

    I would emphasize that component is not a strength at all....and that
    relates to the original poster's query directly.
    Alpha, Jul 31, 2006
  5. Jim Waggener wrote:
    >>I would emphasize that component is not a strength at all....and that
    >>relates to the original poster's query directly.

    > I agree. A componet connection just makes the Oppo a basic player. A DVI
    > connection makes it superior to anything else out there

    Wait. I'm confused. The spec sheet on the Oppo web site says that the
    971 has a DVI connection, while the 970 (the subject of this thread) has
    HDMI. Which model are we actually talking about?

    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein
    Geena Phillips, Aug 1, 2006
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >>> This unit gets good reviews. http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-News.html
    >>> anyone have any first hand knowledge/experiences? I am particularly
    >>> interested in video performance via the component outputs. Thanks.

    >> I have it. It does an outstanding job of upsampling ...but only thru
    >> dvi/hdmi...component won't do it. Build quality is superior as is
    >> support. A great product.
    >>

    > I would emphasize that component is not a strength at all....and that
    > relates to the original poster's query directly.

    I'm going to be sending the signal to a Lumagen Vision processor via the
    component input, so that is why I will not be using the HDMI. The Lumagen
    will be handling the upsampling. Therefore I am looking for the most
    accurate, artifact free 480i component video output around, and this player
    seems to be the prime suspect.
    Mike, Aug 1, 2006
  7. Mike

    Alpha Guest

    It does not matter. They provide a converter cable for one or a straight
    cable for the other.
    Alpha, Aug 1, 2006
  8. Mike

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > I'm going to be sending the signal to a Lumagen Vision processor via
    > the component input, so that is why I will not be using the HDMI. The
    > Lumagen will be handling the upsampling. Therefore I am looking for
    > the most accurate, artifact free 480i component video output around,
    > and this player seems to be the prime suspect.

    The Oppo 970HD can output 480i over HDMI. This is your best connection
    method to a video processor. Using component video means that the player
    has to convert the digital data on the disc to analog, then the scaler
    has to convert it back to digital. Keeping a straight-digital path
    avoids unnecessary conversion artifacts.
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 2, 2006
  9. Mike

    BD Guest

    > Wait. I'm confused. The spec sheet on the Oppo web site says that the
    > 971 has a DVI connection, while the 970 (the subject of this thread) has
    > HDMI. Which model are we actually talking about?

    In either case, it's a digital input. I believe that in both cases the
    OPPO's output is DVI - which is the same digital interface that exists
    on current computer video cards. The distinction (I think) is what kind
    of cable ships with it.

    The display device may be DVI input, or it may be HDMI - which looks
    more like a USB-A connection.

    My unit came with a DVI-DVI cable, and I also got a DVI-HDMI converter,
    to connect to the TV.

    Works fine.
    BD, Aug 2, 2006
  10. Mike