    practical experience, sad thing is the nearest facility that is hiring is
    like 2 hours away and that is a long drive every morning. So, opinions,
    suggestions as to the best way to begin a business in pc repair?

    me, Oct 21, 2004

  2. me

    AG Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    news:hsEdd.185885$...
    > I am considering opening up my own business in pc repair. My town has

    three
    > repair facilities and from my own experience with their services they

    don't
    > know very much. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions? I had and
    > still am wanting to work for someone else for a small time to get some
    > practical experience, sad thing is the nearest facility that is hiring is
    > like 2 hours away and that is a long drive every morning. So, opinions,
    > suggestions as to the best way to begin a business in pc repair?

    I've been where you are and the cheapest way to go is to get some business
    cards and give them out everywhere you go. If you have to get a store front
    your expenses really go up with rent, utilities...
    One of the local people here has closed her store and is going to people's
    houses and working there since she found that she was getting more and more
    work that had to be done at the place of business or home like networking
    jobs. She was having trouble finding someone to watch the store so she got
    rid of it and is much happier and wealthier.

    AG

    AG, Oct 21, 2004

  3. me

    cc0245298 Guest

    Funny you should mention this. This is exactly what I am going to do. I am
    going to start my own pc repair business also. I will specialize in In-Home
    repair and as far as I can tell there is no service offered like this within
    50 miles. I will be distributing business cards wherever I can to get the
    word out. I have established a small workshop in my house for extensive
    repairs/builds and have stocked it with a small number of spare parts. I
    hope to get my network+ cert within another 6-9 months so that I can extend
    my services. This service seems to be gaining popularity and I hope that you
    all do well in your endeavors.

    Rocco

    cc0245298, Oct 26, 2004
  4. me

    AG Guest

    "LadyTech" <> wrote in message

    > Could you guys please tell me what you recommend for diagnostic tools?
    > I have a POST card, but it is outdated. I was thinking of diagnostic
    > tools, such as the ones from http://www.uxd.com has any of you guys
    > used these?

    I've never heard of the uxd people but what I use is TuffTest Pro to test
    PCs that are having problems that don't just pop out to me. If it's a
    software problem, which 95% of my problems that I work on are, I sometimes
    use Norton System Works which some people don't like, I sometimes use the
    simple expedient of uninstalling software and then putting it back on again.
    TuffTest is avialable from www.tufftest.com if you want to look at it there
    is a free version that is crippled.

    AG

    AG, Oct 30, 2004
  5. me

    AG Guest

    ">
    > Thank you... I will check into that. I never used the uxd products. I
    > seen an ad in a computer mag and was wondering if anyone used these
    > products before.
    >
    > Do you ever encounter complete morons asking for computer help? Not
    > too long ago I got a phone call from a woman for some problem, but I
    > can't remember what the problem was, but I had to go to her house.
    > After I was done fixing her computer, I reached down to hit the button
    > on the cd rom because I had to get my disk out of the drive, well I
    > thought she was going to take off through the roof! She said in a
    > freaked out voice "What are you doing?!"... I said "Ahhh, taking my
    > disk out of the drive"... she then said "Oh, I thought you were
    > turning off the computer".... I'm thinking "Oh...kay, I'm going to
    > turn off the computer without shutting it down....duh!"... Now I can
    > see why A LOT of Tech's are arrogant... I'm starting to feel the same
    > way because of complete morons.... LOL.

    I do internet tech support for a living. My favorite questions begin with
    "My computer says" in the middle is
    no dial tone
    modem not responding
    or
    modem not installed.
    Next comes, "Are you having problems?"
    It's usually followed by AGAIN?
    We've had about 4 hours of down time the entire year and over half of that
    was because of problems with the local phone company and the other two were
    because of power outages. This stuff just won't work without electricity.
    :)
    So I get lots of dumb questions but I have to say that most of my customers
    just need education. That I can help with but stupid can't be taught.

    AG

    AG, Nov 2, 2004
  6. me

    chris Guest

    Hi

    I work for a broadband internet provider, My favorite is when the monitor
    shows (NO SIGNAL INPUT) and people call in to see if the interent is down
    because the monitor tells them they have no signal.

    Chris

    chris, Nov 2, 2004
  7. On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 19:06:22 -0500, "LadyTech" <>
    wrote:

    >"chris" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I work for a broadband internet provider, My favorite is when the

    >monitor
    >> shows (NO SIGNAL INPUT) and people call in to see if the interent is

    >down
    >> because the monitor tells them they have no signal.
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>

    >Hi Chris.... that was a good one! LOL!
    >I was working on this other woman's computer one time because she
    >couldn't get online... I did everything I could think of and I still
    >had problems... I told the woman that it was her modem and she needed
    >a new one. Apparently she didn't take my word for it and after I had
    >left she called her ISP and was yelling and screaming at them... her
    >husband told me this the next day... anyway, I got her the new modem
    >and I installed it for her.... the problem WAS the modem... I bet she
    >felt like an IDIOT! LOL! I felt sorry for whoever answered her call
    >that night...

    I had a warranty call from a customer whose computer wouldn't access
    the Internet. In questioning him, it came out that he had another
    computer, different brand, non-warranty, and a router feeding both,
    and both could not access the Internet. He was convinced that it was
    the under-warranty computer that was at fault, but of course, it
    wasn't, and I was not permitted to troubleshoot any of the other
    equipment, I was only allowed to offer suggestions, which he resisted.
    In the end, he started yelling at his son, accusing him of downloading
    a virus which caused his problem. Oh, well...it was the closest to an
    irate I got in my two months as a helpdesk technician.

    I never understood this...in 2 months in a call center I got one irate
    who didn't even vent on me, and a lot of people who were very
    appreciative and thankful. I got a few who were frustrated, but nobody
    ever blew up on me. I know people who have worked for other inbound
    clients, supporting things like magazines and coffee, all much, much
    cheaper than a computer, and they almost always had several stories a
    week about irate callers. Go figure...

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 3, 2004
  8. me

    the yeti Guest

    > > > Could you guys please tell me what you recommend for diagnostic
    > tools?
    > > > I have a POST card, but it is outdated. I was thinking of

    > diagnostic
    > > > tools, such as the ones from http://www.uxd.com has any of you

    > guys
    > > > used these?

    What are you looking for? PC Dosn't turn on at all, try a different
    Power Supply.
    PC turns on (fans whir and shit) no display, well, it could be a vid
    card, ram, MB, or processor. A good tech will generally have a pretty
    good intuitation as to what the problem is and what to try. Swapping
    parts and clearing the CMOS is usually the quickest way to fix this
    stuff when the PC is not booting.

    If it post and won't load the OS, I usually try a few thing.
    Depending on why it won't load (if the OS is WinDoze) you usually get
    a stop error, look up the error. Google is your friend.

    If either of these symptoms is your problem, a Windows based
    diagonstic tool isnt going to help you much.

    You have other things to worry about to. Having a copy of Norton
    System works is great, but you can't just install that on a customers
    PC. For one, I'd hate to load that bloated crap on someones machine.
    Plus they have to purchase a licence for it. I cant imagine saying to
    a customer "I need to diagnose your problem, and to do that you have
    to pay $60 for the tools" A good mechanic always has his own tools.
    You can bootleg it, but thats not a great buisness practice.

    Now, here is what you might look into:

    Spin Right - Hard Drive Sector by Sector checking tool (not sure of
    the cost) OS independant.
    MemTest86 - Free, OS independant Ram testing tool.
    Winternals - Expensive CD boot windows like enviroment
    BartPE - Free Cd Boot Windows like enviroment
    Knoppix - Free Linux OS that runs entirly on a CD. Great for testing
    pesky hardware issues. Also good for simple data recovery.

    I know that there are other free, or low cost OS independant boot disk
    that test things such as the vid card, motherboard, etc. The key is
    OS independant.

    Other software that is very useful.

    Partition Magic.
    Norton Ghost

    Doing inhome repair is a pain in the ass, I know, I do it. Prepare
    for the worst. Here is a few other tips.

    Adaware can be installed onto a USB penDrive and ran directly from the
    drive. That includes the most current definations. This is espically
    useful in Safemode w/out networking. This also applies to a CD, but
    on a CD its kind of hard to update the definations. Adaware is most
    usful after you have removed all the startup enteries in the registry,
    and the obvious "bad programs" in the add/remove programs list. Then
    reboot and use Adaware.

    Manually erase all the Temp/Tempory internet files before virus
    scanning or malware scanning. Turn off System Restore too.

    Google for a tool called LSPFix. Fixes the TCP/IP stack after Malware
    has toasted it and you cant access the net.

    CWShredder is good too.

    For thoes times when its eaiser/cheaper to reinstall the OS.

    Create an unattended install CD of the OS. Slipstream the latest
    Service pack. Just fill the part with the serial number with X's.
    When the install gets to that point, put in the customers key and it
    will continue on its merry way. This saves massive amounts of time.

    FireFox can also be ran directly from a USB pendrive.

    I hope that helps.

    the yeti, Nov 9, 2004
  9. me

    the yeti Guest

    I am using Google to post,so I dont know if this will show up before
    or after my other post, but... I forgot to add this in my list of
    usefull stuff for fixin PCs.

    PCI Tree - great for solving mystery hardware issues.

    Aida32 - not supported anymore, but you still might be able to fid a
    copy. If you really want it I'll send it to you. Aida32 is wonderful
    for quickly identifing hardware componotes of a system. Great for
    downloading drivers. Also runs from a pendrive.

    Belarc Advisor - also great for hardware identification and quickly
    pulls windows Product keys for a reload.

    the yeti, Nov 9, 2004