Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by remove, Oct 7, 2006.

  1. remove

    remove Guest

    I'm looking for a digital camera to be used by several different users
    for field walkdowns. The criteria I am looking at are listed below:

    Around US $250.00
    Easy to use and not too easy to change settings
    3+ megapixels
    Fairly rugged
    As much zoom as possible
    Would like to go to ISO 400

    A little background - I purchased 2 Fuji S-5200 cameras a little less
    than a year ago. I used one of them for a short while with very good
    results, then both were given to different groups for there use. I
    had several complaints from users that they didn't take good pictures.
    In every case that I was able to investigate, settings were changed
    to something inappropriate - wrong ISO, WB etc. or the user did not
    know how to properly set the camera for shooting conditions. One has a
    broken / inoperable flash.

    So, I guess I need a camera that is as idiot-proof as possible, which
    takes fairly decent shots. Photos will be of a variety of things,
    including outdoor shots, indoor mechanical /electrical equipment, etc.

    TIA
    Bill
    remove, Oct 7, 2006

  2. remove

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    carver(remove) wrote:

    > I'm looking for a digital camera to be used by several different users
    > for field walkdowns. The criteria I am looking at are listed below:
    >
    > Around US $250.00
    > Easy to use and not too easy to change settings
    > 3+ megapixels
    > Fairly rugged
    > As much zoom as possible
    > Would like to go to ISO 400
    >
    > A little background - I purchased 2 Fuji S-5200 cameras a little less
    > than a year ago. I used one of them for a short while with very good
    > results, then both were given to different groups for there use. I
    > had several complaints from users that they didn't take good pictures.
    > In every case that I was able to investigate, settings were changed
    > to something inappropriate - wrong ISO, WB etc. or the user did not
    > know how to properly set the camera for shooting conditions. One has a
    > broken / inoperable flash.
    >
    > So, I guess I need a camera that is as idiot-proof as possible, which
    > takes fairly decent shots. Photos will be of a variety of things,
    > including outdoor shots, indoor mechanical /electrical equipment, etc.

    For $250, you have a lot of cameras to chose from. I haven no idea
    what's idiot proof and what's not. I have a Sony digital camera with
    controls that are very easy to operate. Before I bought that camera last
    summer, I tried a friend's Fuji and I can tell you that the controls on
    my Sony camera are much easier to operate than the controls on my
    friend's Fuji.
    Shawn Hirn, Oct 7, 2006

  3. remove

    m Ransley Guest

    There is no camera for what you describe, a camera is a tool that must
    be learned, miss understand it and results wont be great. Why would
    you listen at all to your less experianced.
    m Ransley, Oct 7, 2006
  4. remove

    Guest

    Canon A60. Max "film speed" 400. 35-105 equiv. zoom lens. Small
    enough to carry everywhere you go - but large enough to grip well and
    have easy-to-manipulate controls. Uses ordinary AA batteries - not
    proprietary ones.

    , Oct 7, 2006
  5. remove

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "carver (remove)" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a digital camera to be used by several different users
    > for field walkdowns. The criteria I am looking at are listed below:
    >
    > Around US $250.00
    > Easy to use and not too easy to change settings
    > 3+ megapixels
    > Fairly rugged
    > As much zoom as possible
    > Would like to go to ISO 400

    [clipped]
    > TIA
    > Bill

    Hi Bill:

    Check out some of the fine cameras from Panasonic.

    Bill Crocker
    Bill Crocker, Oct 7, 2006
  6. remove

    remove Guest

    On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 22:17:29 -0500, (m Ransley)
    wrote:

    >There is no camera for what you describe, a camera is a tool that must
    >be learned, miss understand it and results wont be great. Why would
    >you listen at all to your less experianced.

    I agree that a camera is a tool to be learned like any other tool, but
    a shovel is much easier to learn than a backhoe and both will dig a
    hole.

    I don't have a choice as to who uses the cameras. An engineer or
    designer needs to record information from the field for future
    reference, so he (or she) grabs the available camera and heads to the
    field. Many of these people have no interest in photography - only
    interested in capturing data for future reference.

    The pictures don't have to be GREAT photographs, only reasonably sharp
    and more or less properly exposed.

    Bill
    remove, Oct 7, 2006