    I'm a movie freak. I figure on seeing 8-10 flicks a week this way vs. 3-6
    flicks via Online.
    Any comments, suggestions, etc?
    Alex Grossberg, Apr 16, 2006

  2. Alex Grossberg

    Bill's News Guest

    Alex Grossberg wrote:
    > I plan to drop BB Online a day before next billing date and sign-up
    > with a neighborhood BB store (10 minute round trip) for a Movie
    > Pass
    > program: 2 flicks at a time @ $26/month.
    > I'm a movie freak. I figure on seeing 8-10 flicks a week this way
    > vs.
    > 3-6 flicks via Online.
    > Any comments, suggestions, etc?

    For what it's worth, I consider myself a movie freak too. As a years+
    Netflix customer I've not experienced the "throttling" often
    mentioned, but never-the-less I've also run out of films of interest
    which will fulfill the subscription, so I'm canceling until the new
    Hollywood season begins in October and the very few other recent, but
    as yet unreleased, films of interest have had time to arrive in their
    collection.

    Of the older films, there is scant fare I've not seen and in which I
    have an interest. That list is down to 4 or 5 dozen and in reality
    most flicks are on that list merely to get something from Netfix (pun
    intended).

    With a full boat of cable TV channels and an aggressive local
    librarian, in her acquiring of recent and older DVDs, I reckon I can
    make it thru the summer and get a tan while I'm at it;-)
    Bill's News, Apr 16, 2006

  3. Alex Grossberg

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:30:44 GMT from Alex Grossberg <agrossberg1
    @sc.rr.com>:
    > I plan to ... sign-up with a neighborhood BB store ... for a Movie
    > Pass program: 2 flicks at a time @ $26/month. I'm a movie freak. I
    > figure on seeing 8-10 flicks a week this way.
    > Any comments, suggestions, etc?

    Have you checked out the store's inventory to see if it actually has
    sufficient product to justify the expense, however modest?

    I had one of BB's plans a few years ago: a free old title rental with
    every "new release". (Anything newer than about two years ago seemed
    to qualify as a new release.) Within a very few months I had rented
    literally _every_ old release in the store that held any interest for
    me.

    And with BB's "no late fees" policy I'd think you're even less likely
    to find what you want, unless your tastes are very, very mainstream
    or unless you'll watch just about anything.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Apr 16, 2006
  4. Alex Grossberg

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sat, 15 Apr 2006 18:23:32 -0700 from Bill's News
    <>:
    > With a full boat of cable TV channels and an aggressive local
    > librarian, in her acquiring of recent and older DVDs, I reckon I can
    > make it thru the summer and get a tan while I'm at it;-)

    You're really fortunate in your library. The largest library in the
    region, Tompkins County (Ithaca), stopped buying DVDs a year or so
    ago owing to budgetary constraints. My local library (Southworth, in
    Dryden) has a couple dozen DVDs. :)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Apr 16, 2006
  5. Alex Grossberg

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <Ueg0g.3805$>,
    "Alex Grossberg" <> wrote:

    > I plan to drop BB Online a day before next billing date and sign-up with a
    > neighborhood BB store (10 minute round trip) for a Movie Pass program: 2
    > flicks at a time @ $26/month.
    > I'm a movie freak. I figure on seeing 8-10 flicks a week this way vs. 3-6
    > flicks via Online.
    > Any comments, suggestions, etc?

    I'm not one to usually bolster the virtues of online renting, but I
    think you're going to regret this decision. Blockbuster's in-store Movie
    Pass program is a whopping $27.99 a month for just 2 DVDs out at a time.
    After taxes are applied, it's about 30 bucks... Do you realize you could
    get 5 out at a time(and the free in-store rental every week) for roughly
    the same amount money via Blockbuster Online? And while it's true that
    Blockbuster stores do carry some titles not available through BB Online
    or Netflix, it typically amounts to all of 15-20 movies. Not really
    enough to warrant the change, especially since you can just use your
    in-store rental coupons to get those movies free anyway. Beyond that, I
    don't think the small inventory in the store is going to meet your
    demands at a rate of 8 to 10 movies a week. Have you seen the TV series
    section in a video store lately? It makes up all of about 2% of the
    total TV shows currently available on DVD! Seriously. They simply don't
    have the shelf space necessary to carry all the TV shows BB Online and
    Netflix do. Not to mention the shelves in Blockbuster stores are
    frequently stripped bare these days because of the no late fees policy.
    It's your call, but I think you'll find that after only 2 or 3 months of
    renting at a rate of 8 to 10 movies a week, you will have seen just
    about everything in the store that's of interest to you and you'll come
    to realization that it simply isn't worth $30 a month anymore. Also,
    you're going to end up spending an extra $20 on gas every week making
    all those trips back and forth to the store! If I were you, I'd simply
    upgrade to the 5 out at a time plan with Blockbuster Online.

    For the record, I do still rent in-store, but I only average 1 or 2
    movies a week, if that. If I were renting 8 to 10 a week, it'd be a
    whole different story..
    Black Locust, Apr 17, 2006