Opinions wanted: Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z2 vs Z10

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Atreju, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    I have looked extensively into these two cameras:

    Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z2
    Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z10

    Thus far, the main differences I see which are important to me are:

    Z2 has audio along with full motion video.
    Do I plan on using this thing as a video cam? No. Definitely not.
    However, if I'm going to be able to take video, I figure audio
    couldn't hurt. I am not under any misconception that the audio is very
    good, I'm sure it is not top-quality.

    Z2 has 4 mpxl while the Z10 has only 3.2

    Z2 has 10x Optical zoom, while the Z10 only 8.

    However, some advantages come to mind with the Z10:
    Almost $100 cheaper, which will fund my high-capacity memory chip,
    maybe a nice protective case, etc.
    The Z10 also houses the lens fully internally, while the Z2 protrudes.
    I suspect there is less risk of damage to the lens mechanism if it is
    fully enclosed. Is this important?
    The Z10 specifications indicate more efficient battery usage.

    Can anyone tell me any other significant differences?
    Has anyone used either/both of these that can make an objective
    comparison in results?

    What's not too important to me:
    Adding on lens or filters.
    Editing from camera (except deleting images, of course)


    I appreciate any advice.
    Thanks.



    ---Atreju---
    Atreju, Aug 27, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Atreju

    Swingman Guest

    Something to be aware of with a 10X optical zoom is camera
    shake. The Z2 does not employ image stablization so it will
    be pretty hard to hand-hold it if you fully zoom the lens.
    You might want to look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ20. It's
    supposed to become available on September 21st (amazon.com).
    Check out the specs, e.g. 5 mpxl, 12X optical zoom with
    image stablization, video with sound, etc.



    "Atreju" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have looked extensively into these two cameras:
    >
    > Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z2
    > Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z10
    >
    > Thus far, the main differences I see which are important
    > to me are:
    >
    > Z2 has audio along with full motion video.
    > Do I plan on using this thing as a video cam? No.
    > Definitely not.
    > However, if I'm going to be able to take video, I figure
    > audio
    > couldn't hurt. I am not under any misconception that the
    > audio is very
    > good, I'm sure it is not top-quality.
    >
    > Z2 has 4 mpxl while the Z10 has only 3.2
    >
    > Z2 has 10x Optical zoom, while the Z10 only 8.
    >
    > However, some advantages come to mind with the Z10:
    > Almost $100 cheaper, which will fund my high-capacity
    > memory chip,
    > maybe a nice protective case, etc.
    > The Z10 also houses the lens fully internally, while the
    > Z2 protrudes.
    > I suspect there is less risk of damage to the lens
    > mechanism if it is
    > fully enclosed. Is this important?
    > The Z10 specifications indicate more efficient battery
    > usage.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me any other significant differences?
    > Has anyone used either/both of these that can make an
    > objective
    > comparison in results?
    >
    > What's not too important to me:
    > Adding on lens or filters.
    > Editing from camera (except deleting images, of course)
    >
    >
    > I appreciate any advice.
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    > ---Atreju---
    Swingman, Aug 27, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:00:29 -0700, "Swingman"
    <> wrote:

    >Something to be aware of with a 10X optical zoom is camera
    >shake. The Z2 does not employ image stablization so it will
    >be pretty hard to hand-hold it if you fully zoom the lens.
    >You might want to look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ20. It's
    >supposed to become available on September 21st (amazon.com).
    >Check out the specs, e.g. 5 mpxl, 12X optical zoom with
    >image stablization, video with sound, etc.
    >

    SNIP

    What do you think of the Canon Poweshot S1 IS?


    ---Atreju---
    Atreju, Aug 27, 2004
    #3
  4. Atreju

    Kimberlee Guest

    I owned a Z1.
    When I needed to purchase another camera, I looked at the Z2. I noticed
    background noise in shooting video, although not quite as bad as the Z1.
    I wasn't aware of what I was missing until I bought the S1 IS.
    The zoom is actually *usable* with IS, and you can zoom while shooting
    video. The video quality is outstanding. In fact, the camera itself is
    outstanding.
    ~Kimberlee


    Atreju wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:00:29 -0700, "Swingman"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Something to be aware of with a 10X optical zoom is camera
    >> shake. The Z2 does not employ image stablization so it will
    >> be pretty hard to hand-hold it if you fully zoom the lens.
    >> You might want to look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ20. It's
    >> supposed to become available on September 21st (amazon.com).
    >> Check out the specs, e.g. 5 mpxl, 12X optical zoom with
    >> image stablization, video with sound, etc.
    >>

    > SNIP
    >
    > What do you think of the Canon Poweshot S1 IS?
    >
    >
    > ---Atreju---
    Kimberlee, Aug 27, 2004
    #4
  5. Atreju

    swingman Guest

    "Atreju" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:00:29 -0700, "Swingman"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Something to be aware of with a 10X optical zoom is camera
    >>shake. The Z2 does not employ image stablization so it will
    >>be pretty hard to hand-hold it if you fully zoom the lens.
    >>You might want to look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ20. It's
    >>supposed to become available on September 21st (amazon.com).
    >>Check out the specs, e.g. 5 mpxl, 12X optical zoom with
    >>image stablization, video with sound, etc.
    >>

    > SNIP
    >
    > What do you think of the Canon Poweshot S1 IS?
    >
    >
    > ---Atreju---


    Regarding the Canon Powershot S1 IS, I have not had an opportunity to use one, but the reviews I've read have been good. It has great features, such as 640x480 video with sound (limited only by available memory), and 10X optical zoom with image stabilization. The only downside for me is it's 3.2 megapixel, but perhaps that would be sufficient for your needs? Read the review at:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons1is/
    swingman, Aug 27, 2004
    #5
  6. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:35:22 -0700, "swingman"
    <> wrote:

    SNIP

    >
    >Regarding the Canon Powershot S1 IS, I have not had an opportunity to use one, but the reviews I've read have been good. It has great features, such as 640x480 video with sound (limited only by available memory), and 10X optical zoom with image stabilization. The only downside for me is it's 3.2 megapixel, but perhaps that would be sufficient for your needs? Read the review at:
    >
    >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons1is/
    >


    Yeah I have read that review and many others. It seems to be a nice
    unit, and one that I am seriously considering.

    I guess unfortunately there's no one best unit. They all seem to have
    their ups and downs. I suppose if there were one product that simply
    was the best at everything in its class, it would be the only one
    anyone would buy! (which by the way would be just fine with me).

    The only thing that I think will stop me from the Konica-Minolta Z2 or
    Z10 is the fact that there's no Image Stabilization, which I something
    I will really need.


    ---Atreju---
    Atreju, Aug 27, 2004
    #6
  7. Atreju

    gmr2048 Guest

    I'd suggest you check out the new KM Z3 (site requires shockwave
    flash...ugh):

    http://konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_camera/dimage/dimage-z3/index.html

    It's the updated version of the Z2. Similar specs, with a couple
    improvements: 12x optical zoom and built in antishake (huge deal!).
    From what I've seen, it's priced about the same as the Z2 was when it
    was originally released.

    I own a Z2 and love it, but I feel I've outgrown it already. And I'm
    actually pissed at KM for phasing it out so quickly (I bought mine the
    day it was released in April '04).

    -gary
    (currently saving my spare change for a 20d)


    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 02:42:34 GMT, Atreju <>
    wrote:

    >I have looked extensively into these two cameras:
    >
    >Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z2
    >Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z10
    >


    -gary
    gmr2048 at yahoo dot com
    Washington DC, USA
    http://www.eighteenpercent.net
    gmr2048, Aug 27, 2004
    #7
  8. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:55:38 -0400, gmr2048 <>
    wrote:

    >I'd suggest you check out the new KM Z3 (site requires shockwave
    >flash...ugh):
    >
    >http://konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_camera/dimage/dimage-z3/index.html
    >
    >It's the updated version of the Z2. Similar specs, with a couple
    >improvements: 12x optical zoom and built in antishake (huge deal!).
    >From what I've seen, it's priced about the same as the Z2 was when it
    >was originally released.
    >
    >I own a Z2 and love it, but I feel I've outgrown it already. And I'm
    >actually pissed at KM for phasing it out so quickly (I bought mine the
    >day it was released in April '04).
    >
    >-gary
    >(currently saving my spare change for a 20d)
    >


    SNIP

    THANKS!
    That looks like exactly what I need. I was so torn because the Z2 and
    Z10 looked great with the exception of lack of IS. This new model
    looks like what I want.


    ---Atreju---
    Atreju, Aug 27, 2004
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JStONGE123

    Konica Minolta - Dimage Z1 Digital Camera

    JStONGE123, Apr 11, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,222
    Chris Oates
    Apr 16, 2004
  2. R

    Konica Minolta DiMage Z2

    R, Apr 12, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    366
    gmr2048
    Apr 16, 2004
  3. Alf92

    Little noise inside my Minolta Z10...

    Alf92, Jan 2, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    306
    Alf92
    Jan 4, 2005
  4. measekite

    Minolta Z10 $135.00

    measekite, Apr 13, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    279
    measekite
    Apr 13, 2005
  5. andrija

    Minolta Z10

    andrija, Aug 29, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    353
    andrija
    Aug 29, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page