    me as well. Though I would like something that uses AA batteries.

    Thanks for any input!

    , Aug 15, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > I currently have an Olympus D-560 Zoom camera. I am really not pleased
    > with the quality of the images and want to upgrade.
    >
    > I have found a camera in my price range, it is the Konica minolta
    > Dimage Z20 5MP. Any opinions on this camera? Does higher megapixels
    > mean better photos? I really have no idea what to buy, but I don't
    > want to spent alot of money. I have found that camera on Ebay for
    > around $150-200USD. Anything better for that price? Used is fine with
    > me as well. Though I would like something that uses AA batteries.
    >
    > Thanks for any input!

    The Z-5 apparently is a good camera, better than the Z-6 according to
    reviews (don't like the feel of it myself, though). The issue will be
    the warranty - I've heard that Sony is taking over camera warranty
    service from Konica-Minolta, but I have no idea whether it includes the
    point-n-shoots as well as the dSLRs, and I'm not sure how far Sony will
    be willing to go with it. If you can live with a possibly dodgy
    warranty, the price sounds like a steal.

    More megapixels means more resolution, although returns diminish
    somewhat after 5-6 megapixels; it means you can crop smaller bits out
    of the picture and still have it reasonably printable. Noise seems to
    increase (in general) with higher megapixels. In my experience a good
    quality 5 megapixel camera will print an excellent 8X10" and a
    perfectly good 11X14" photo, with proper care.

    AA batteries are a mixed bag. You'll have to use NiMH rechargables to
    get any battery life at all, alkalines won't cut it except in an
    emergency. And taking care of NiMH is just as difficult as taking care
    of LiIon batteries. I prefer LiIon because they're lighter, but that's
    just my personal opinion.

    , Aug 15, 2006