Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mr Pounder, Apr 18, 2009.

  1. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    Mr Pounder, Apr 18, 2009

  2. Mr Pounder wrote:

    > http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/
    >
    > Seems to be okay for trialware?

    Maybe, but does it actually fix anything before you pay? The web site is
    inconclusive, as far as I see. £30 sounds like a lot for what you can do
    yourself for free with a regular maintenance routine.

    There are hundreds of these "tune-up" utilities vying for your
    hard-earned money. Some probably are worthwhile; some are just scams
    like "finallyfast.com". You could spend a few minutes a week and save
    the cash. Why heck, you could even switch to an operating system that
    doesn't require daily/weekly "maintenance" such as defragging, registry
    cleaning, several anti-malware applications ... [could. not. resist.]

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 18, 2009

  3. Mr Pounder

    83LowRider Guest

    83LowRider, Apr 18, 2009
  4. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    > Mr Pounder wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/
    >>
    >> Seems to be okay for trialware?

    > Maybe, but does it actually fix anything before you pay? The web site is
    > inconclusive, as far as I see. £30 sounds like a lot for what you can do
    > yourself for free with a regular maintenance routine.
    >
    > There are hundreds of these "tune-up" utilities vying for your
    > hard-earned money. Some probably are worthwhile; some are just scams
    > like "finallyfast.com". You could spend a few minutes a week and save
    > the cash. Why heck, you could even switch to an operating system that
    > doesn't require daily/weekly "maintenance" such as defragging, registry
    > cleaning, several anti-malware applications ... [could. not. resist.]

    Fair comment.
    It told me that it fixed a few problems.
    And I know the score on utilities progs.

    Regards

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, Apr 18, 2009
  5. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    Mr Pounder, Apr 18, 2009
  6. Mr Pounder spilled the beans:
    > http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/
    >
    > Seems to be okay for trialware?
    >
    > Steve

    Stuff like that is for people who dun wanna learn anything...like chavs.

    try www.pchell.com

    And learn how to fix those issues yourself, mate.

    --
    http://www.eyeonpalin.org

    _..._ ___ ___ ___ ___ _..._
    ,' `::. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,' `::.
    : `::: `:: `:: `:: `:: `:::
    : .::: .:: .:: .:: .:: .:::
    : .:::`. .;' `. .;' `. .;'.`. .;': .:::
    : .::: `.' .`.'.: `.' ::`.' :. .:::
    :. .::' ::: : `: .:::
    `: .:: : : .::'
    : .:: . :. .::
    : ::' `: .::.
    .\ `: ,: :. : .::.:
    :.\ :. :.: :`: .' .::.:
    ::`. : :':: : `: : .;'.:
    : `.; :'.:: : :: ;:' ::
    . :' .::. .: .:: :
    : :' ::: :' .:: .
    : `:: : .::
    :' .::. .: .:::
    : .::: ,:. .:. :' .:::
    : .:::,' `:. ,' `:.: .:::
    : .::: ::: ::: .:::
    : .::: ::: ::: .:::
    `._ .::'.`._.::' `._.::'.`._ .::' _
    Seal _
    ~~~ :: :: ~~~
    §ñühw¤£f, Apr 18, 2009
  7. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > Mr Pounder spilled the beans:
    >> http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/
    >>
    >> Seems to be okay for trialware?
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Stuff like that is for people who dun wanna learn anything...like chavs.
    >
    > try www.pchell.com
    >
    > And learn how to fix those issues yourself, mate.

    I posted for an opinion not a dickhead like you.
    You are not my mate, **** off.

    Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder, Apr 19, 2009
  8. Mr Pounder

    chuckcar Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in

    > "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    >> Mr Pounder spilled the beans:
    >>> http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/
    >>>
    >>> Seems to be okay for trialware?
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> Stuff like that is for people who dun wanna learn anything...like
    >> chavs.
    >>
    >> try www.pchell.com
    >>
    >> And learn how to fix those issues yourself, mate.

    > I posted for an opinion not a dickhead like you.
    > You are not my mate, **** off.

    Actually he *wasn't* being one. The fact of the matter is that registry
    repair programs do things automatically - without a brain attached. Not the
    best way of doing things. This is even giving the benefit of the doubt that
    they actually do something useful. By no means a certainty. Cleaning the
    registry is vastly overated if it does anything useful at all. Certainly the
    only useful thing *I* can think of would be file associations. Something you
    can do directly with add/remove programs and in windows explorer anyways.
    Removing the wrong thing from the registry can *very* easily make your
    computer unable to start at all. The best way *is* to use regedit save a backup
    copy of the registry (so you can always go to safe mode and undo any mistake you
    made and to know what you're doing and why because of the above.

    I personally would say:

    http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/ as it's better organized.

    Take it from someone whose done it manually for over 10 years.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 19, 2009
  9. Mr Pounder

    thanatoid Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in

    > http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/

    Hi Mr. Pounder.

    As much as I appreciate the tone of some of your replies, I must
    agree with most respondents that such utilities are at best a
    waste of time, at worst can totally **** up your machine. A HIGH
    percentage of them are just "scare pages" to make you try/buy
    their "software" and/or let it **** up or infest your machine.

    Also, ALL of them simply put together their versions what is
    available as separate (read: dedicated to do ONE thing WELL)
    programs from all over, and sell it for a ridiculous price. "30
    day free trial" is not a great deal if you end up with a dead
    machine which is as likely as ending up with a slightly better
    running machine - NO program can tune you up automatically to
    perfection.

    I tried a 40MB program called System Mechanic which is
    considered to be the BEST, and it was a complete waste of time.
    EVERYTHING it (supposedly) could do I can do manually or with a
    few free programs. I could NOT believe it. Although it COULD be
    of some use to someone who has NO clue WHATSOEVER about tweaking
    a computer. But everyone can learn, and there are MANY sites
    which tell you what to do. You would not believe HOW many, in
    fact.

    The best and simplest program that I have seen for spotting
    problems, "imperfections" and GIVING YOU EXCELLENT HINTS is
    SiSoft Sandra.

    I believe the basic version (which is probably all you need) is
    free, and if not, much more worth the money than anything else.
    All the things it will suggest you do can be done manually for
    free or with free programs, or by DL'g free drivers updates etc.

    Reagrds.

    --
    (Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
    I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with
    thanatoid, Apr 19, 2009
  10. Mr Pounder

    83LowRider Guest

    "Mr Pounder" wrote

    > Trial or pay for?
    > I quite like it.

    I was having an issue on one of my computers.. a friend
    brought it over for me, and I installed and used it. I had the
    full version (2007 I think) previously, so it was not unknown
    to me. I've since lost it (2009 version) tho, as I was
    eventually forced to reformat.
    83LowRider, Apr 19, 2009
  11. 83LowRider wrote:

    > I was having an issue on one of my computers.. a friend
    > brought it over for me, and I installed and used it. I had the
    > full version (2007 I think) previously, so it was not unknown
    > to me. I've since lost it (2009 version) tho, as I was
    > eventually forced to reformat.

    Uhm. Yes, that can happen - regardless of or even because of using such
    utilities, in the worst case.
    To conclude, there is no proven placebo effect for computers.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 19, 2009
  12. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in
    >
    >> http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/

    > Hi Mr. Pounder.
    >
    > As much as I appreciate the tone of some of your replies, I must
    > agree with most respondents that such utilities are at best a
    > waste of time, at worst can totally **** up your machine. A HIGH
    > percentage of them are just "scare pages" to make you try/buy
    > their "software" and/or let it **** up or infest your machine.
    >
    > Also, ALL of them simply put together their versions what is
    > available as separate (read: dedicated to do ONE thing WELL)
    > programs from all over, and sell it for a ridiculous price. "30
    > day free trial" is not a great deal if you end up with a dead
    > machine which is as likely as ending up with a slightly better
    > running machine - NO program can tune you up automatically to
    > perfection.
    >
    > I tried a 40MB program called System Mechanic which is
    > considered to be the BEST, and it was a complete waste of time.
    > EVERYTHING it (supposedly) could do I can do manually or with a
    > few free programs. I could NOT believe it. Although it COULD be
    > of some use to someone who has NO clue WHATSOEVER about tweaking
    > a computer. But everyone can learn, and there are MANY sites
    > which tell you what to do. You would not believe HOW many, in
    > fact.
    >
    > The best and simplest program that I have seen for spotting
    > problems, "imperfections" and GIVING YOU EXCELLENT HINTS is
    > SiSoft Sandra.
    >
    > I believe the basic version (which is probably all you need) is
    > free, and if not, much more worth the money than anything else.
    > All the things it will suggest you do can be done manually for
    > free or with free programs, or by DL'g free drivers updates etc.
    >
    > Regards.

    Yeah
    You are probably correct, I will get rid and try your SiSoft Sandra.
    I tried System Mechanic years ago and did not like it.
    My prog did actually clean a few things up, start up seems to be a little
    faster.
    Your reply was appreciated, I am please that you appreciate the tone of some
    of my replies :)

    Regards

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, Apr 19, 2009
  13. Mr Pounder

    thanatoid Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > You are probably correct, I will get rid and try your
    > SiSoft Sandra. I tried System Mechanic years ago and did
    > not like it. My prog did actually clean a few things up,
    > start up seems to be a little faster.
    > Your reply was appreciated, I am please that you appreciate
    > the tone of some of my replies :)

    I use StartUpChanger 2000, free, wonderful. Supposedly there is
    a start up manager in XP etc. but I don't know and I wouldn't
    trust it. "Helpful" MS utilities which hog CPU use and HD space
    are how you benefit most by getting rid of (sorry about the
    sentence structure, haven't woken up yet).

    You can do "start up" manually in the registry, it's one of the
    simpler things in fact, just look for all keys with the word
    "run" in it. Move the ones you don't want to "backup" or just
    delete the ones that are useless MS (or other) crap. WHO needs
    to scan the registry EVERY time they start the computer?

    That's all those start-up changers do - just cleaner and user-
    friendlier. And there are dozens, many free.

    thanatoid, Apr 19, 2009
  14. Mr Pounder spilled the beans:
    > "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    >> Mr Pounder spilled the beans:
    >>> http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/
    >>>
    >>> Seems to be okay for trialware?
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> Stuff like that is for people who dun wanna learn anything...like chavs.
    >>
    >> try www.pchell.com
    >>
    >> And learn how to fix those issues yourself, mate.

    > I posted for an opinion

    And you got an opionion, M8 :)

    > not a dickhead like you.

    Thanks for thinking about my bellend, Bruce.

    > You are not my mate, **** off.

    Will you make me?

    ^_^

    --
    http://www.eyeonpalin.org

    _..._ ___ ___ ___ ___ _..._
    ,' `::. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,' `::.
    : `::: `:: `:: `:: `:: `:::
    : .::: .:: .:: .:: .:: .:::
    : .:::`. .;' `. .;' `. .;'.`. .;': .:::
    : .::: `.' .`.'.: `.' ::`.' :. .:::
    :. .::' ::: : `: .:::
    `: .:: : : .::'
    : .:: . :. .::
    : ::' `: .::.
    .\ `: ,: :. : .::.:
    :.\ :. :.: :`: .' .::.:
    ::`. : :':: : `: : .;'.:
    : `.; :'.:: : :: ;:' ::
    . :' .::. .: .:: :
    : :' ::: :' .:: .
    : `:: : .::
    :' .::. .: .:::
    : .::: ,:. .:. :' .:::
    : .:::,' `:. ,' `:.: .:::
    : .::: ::: ::: .:::
    : .::: ::: ::: .:::
    `._ .::'.`._.::' `._.::'.`._ .::' _ Seal _
    ~~~ :: :: ~~~
    §ñühw¤£f, Apr 19, 2009
  15. Mr Pounder

    Guest

    Mr Pounder wrote:
    > http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/
    >
    > Seems to be okay for trialware?
    >
    > Steve

    I don't know, I don't see anything useful about those programs.
    Registry cleaners can effectively make a system unusable with relative
    ease. I wouldn't want a program poking around my OS when it's really
    not useful for much of anything. A windows install disk and
    reinstalling windows is the best optimizer, fastest problem fixer I
    have ever
    used.
    , Apr 20, 2009
  16. Mr Pounder

    Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Mr Pounder wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/
    > >
    > > Seems to be okay for trialware?

    > Maybe, but does it actually fix anything before you pay? The web site is
    > inconclusive, as far as I see. �30 sounds like a lot for what you can do
    > yourself for free with a regular maintenance routine.
    >
    > There are hundreds of these "tune-up" utilities vying for your
    > hard-earned money. Some probably are worthwhile; some are just scams
    > like "finallyfast.com". You could spend a few minutes a week and save
    > the cash. Why heck, you could even switch to an operating system that
    > doesn't require daily/weekly "maintenance" such as defragging, registry
    > cleaning, several anti-malware applications ... [could. not. resist.]

    I don't know, my windows only needs occasional defraging, or an
    occasional reinstall, and updates of course, to keep it working well.

    Seriously though, after using linux for a while, windows became a
    breeze to manage and work with. No fear about the fragile windows
    needing all kinds of stuff to keep it going. It's all the crap people
    install that makes windows suck. Software firewalls that break the
    system after updates, software stuff that sites fool you into
    installing.
    I don't use anti-virus anti-spyware very often if even at all.

    Google the name of programs you intend to install with virus or
    spyware and that solves about 99% of the accidental windows malware
    installs.

    Windows is solid if you really consider how simple you can keep it and
    apply accordingly. As in each program you install is route for
    possible problems, find what works for you and stick with it.
    , Apr 20, 2009
  17. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> You are probably correct, I will get rid and try your
    >> SiSoft Sandra. I tried System Mechanic years ago and did
    >> not like it. My prog did actually clean a few things up,
    >> start up seems to be a little faster.
    >> Your reply was appreciated, I am please that you appreciate
    >> the tone of some of my replies :)

    > I use StartUpChanger 2000, free, wonderful. Supposedly there is
    > a start up manager in XP etc. but I don't know and I wouldn't
    > trust it. "Helpful" MS utilities which hog CPU use and HD space
    > are how you benefit most by getting rid of (sorry about the
    > sentence structure, haven't woken up yet).
    >
    > You can do "start up" manually in the registry, it's one of the
    > simpler things in fact, just look for all keys with the word
    > "run" in it. Move the ones you don't want to "backup" or just
    > delete the ones that are useless MS (or other) crap. WHO needs
    > to scan the registry EVERY time they start the computer?
    >
    > That's all those start-up changers do - just cleaner and user-
    > friendlier. And there are dozens, many free.

    Sandra is gone.
    I will take a look at your prog when I get the chance/time.

    Thanks

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, Apr 20, 2009
  18. Mr Pounder

    thanatoid Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Sandra is gone.

    Not sure what that means. The current version is for XP/Vista
    only. I have two older versions which work fine on 9x/presumably
    ME which are no longer on the site, but there are other places
    you can find them. Google for SiSoft Sandra 2001 or SiSoft
    Sandra 2002

    thanatoid, Apr 20, 2009