Opinions please: HTPC Video card?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Pleb Plebian, Jun 22, 2005.

  1. Pleb Plebian

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    [X-posted on advice from nz.tech]

    I'm putting together a 'reasonable' machine for DVD/DIVX/MP3 playback, with
    gaming a second (but significant) priority:
    have somewhat contradictory aims of
    - low noise
    - reasonable price (up to about $200 incl GST)
    - reasonable performance

    As I'll be doing some (relatively low-resolution - in the region of
    1024x768) gaming via my projector, DirectX 9 compatability would be very
    useful: HL2 and Doom3 are _definitely_ on the cards!

    Performance-wise, the Powercolor 9600XT at $213-odd looks like the go, but
    I'm not sure about the cooling noise: obviously won't be an issue when
    gaming, but could be in HTPC-mode (have the rest of the PC sussed in this
    respect).

    Does anyone have any comments or other suggestions? (Not really interested
    in speciality cases at this stage-aiming to start with quiet components and
    work from there).

    Many thanks,
    -Darl

    Pleb Plebian, Jun 22, 2005

  2. In article <1119472183.331309@ftpsrv1>, says...

    > Performance-wise, the Powercolor 9600XT at $213-odd looks like the go, but
    > I'm not sure about the cooling noise: obviously won't be an issue when
    > gaming, but could be in HTPC-mode (have the rest of the PC sussed in this
    > respect).

    I've a Zalman passive heatsink on my 9600 XT - it barely gets warm to
    the touch, and it's just about as quiet as technologically possible. ;-)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Pleb Plebian

    David Preece Guest

    Pleb Plebian wrote:
    > As I'll be doing some (relatively low-resolution - in the region of
    > 1024x768) gaming via my projector, DirectX 9 compatability would be very
    > useful: HL2 and Doom3 are _definitely_ on the cards!
    >
    > Performance-wise, the Powercolor 9600XT at $213-odd looks like the go

    I think Doom 3 (and, more to the point, games based on the doom 3
    engine) on a 9600 is probably being a bit optimistic.

    I almost can't believe I'm saying this but, have you considered getting
    an XBox and modding the shit out of it?

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Preece, Jun 23, 2005
  4. Pleb Plebian

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "David Preece" <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > I almost can't believe I'm saying this but, have you considered getting
    > an XBox and modding the shit out of it?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dave

    Hi Dave
    Yeah I have-but wanna do some reasonably fancy video scaling and audio
    multi-channel digital XO/room EQ work, so need a PC anyway for that.
    Besides -FPS's on a console just aren't my cuppa ;-)
    Tx for the suggestion anyhow
    -D

    Pleb Plebian, Jun 23, 2005
  5. At that very moment, Pleb Plebian turned to nz.comp and said
    > Performance-wise, the Powercolor 9600XT at $213-odd looks like the go, but
    > I'm not sure about the cooling noise: obviously won't be an issue when
    > gaming, but could be in HTPC-mode (have the rest of the PC sussed in this
    > respect).

    Doesn't seem powerful enough for Doom 3 etc. I'm use a 9800 pro with a
    passive (Zalman) heatsink, but I don't know what to upgrade too;
    everything seems to have massive power draw and large fans now. So I'm
    keen to know an answer too...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and