Opinions on zippers (the computer file kind)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rustiferion, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Rustiferion

    Rustiferion Guest

    (I just *know* someone's gonna pick that subject line up and run with it...)

    I've finally decided to retire my battered Quarterdeck Zip-It and replace it
    with something from this century. Googling around reveals a bewildering
    array of programs available, from free to over $60. Since I don't have the
    energy to download and try trial versions of all of them, I would be
    interested in hearing opinions from light-to-medium users on what they use.
    I only email maybe one .zip file a month, but I download maybe a dozen, and
    I want to start archiving .jpegs, since I have the bad habit of saving
    intermediate-step images when I edit graphics, and they're getting out of
    hand, doncha know?

    The ones that I have found that look promising are:

    BitZipper ($20)
    PicoZip ($25)
    WinZip ($29)

    PentaZip is too expensive and probably over my head anyway. Everybody
    compares their product against WinZip (which is a recommendation in itself)
    but of course they all compare themselves quite favorably, so...

    TIA
    ~RL
    Rustiferion, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Rustiferion

    Brian H¹© Guest

    slumpy said:

    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    >> Rustiferion said:
    >>
    >>> (I just *know* someone's gonna pick that subject line up and run
    >>> with it...)
    >>>
    >>> I've finally decided to retire my battered Quarterdeck Zip-It and
    >>> replace it with something from this century. Googling around
    >>> reveals a bewildering array of programs available, from free to over
    >>> $60. Since I don't have the energy to download and try trial
    >>> versions of all of them, I would be interested in hearing opinions
    >>> from light-to-medium users on what they use. I only email maybe one
    >>> .zip file a month, but I download maybe a dozen, and I want to start
    >>> archiving .jpegs, since I have the bad habit of saving
    >>> intermediate-step images when I edit graphics, and they're getting
    >>> out of hand, doncha know?
    >>>
    >>> The ones that I have found that look promising are:
    >>>
    >>> BitZipper ($20)
    >>> PicoZip ($25)
    >>> WinZip ($29)
    >>>
    >>> PentaZip is too expensive and probably over my head anyway.
    >>> Everybody compares their product against WinZip (which is a
    >>> recommendation in itself) but of course they all compare themselves
    >>> quite favorably, so...
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> ~RL

    >> WinZip is the most frequently recommended.
    >> Try the evaluation copy to see how you like it http://www.winzip.com/

    > And if you like it, just keep it ;-)

    :)
    Brian H¹©, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Rustiferion

    Nozza Guest

    I like Power Archiver.

    If you look around you can find 6.1, which is freeware. Simple as
    Winzip. No nags. Can also create self extracting executables. Can
    check for setup files etc and handles zipped setups beautifully.

    Later/Recnt versions are not freeware.

    Search on Google for powerarc61.exe, and download from an educational
    site.

    Always virus check your downloads.

    HTH

    Noz
    Nozza, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Rustiferion

    Shel-hed Guest

    Another vote for PowerArchiver.
    My setup file is called powerarc611.exe
    ...,
    Shel.

    Shel-hed, Jul 31, 2003
  5. Rustiferion

    Jim PKP Guest

    > BitZipper ($20)
    > PicoZip ($25)
    > WinZip ($29)

    Winzip is small/free/standard

    --
    | | PandaKunda | aLsO nObiE | <no smileys> |
    Jim PKP, Jul 31, 2003
  6. Rustiferion

    paul s Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:28:38 +0100, slumpy wrote:

    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    >> Rustiferion said:
    >>
    >>> (I just *know* someone's gonna pick that subject line up and run with
    >>> it...)
    >>>
    >>> I've finally decided to retire my battered Quarterdeck Zip-It and
    >>> replace it with something from this century. Googling around reveals a
    >>> bewildering array of programs available, from free to over $60. Since
    >>> I don't have the energy to download and try trial versions of all of
    >>> them, I would be interested in hearing opinions from light-to-medium
    >>> users on what they use. I only email maybe one .zip file a month, but I
    >>> download maybe a dozen, and I want to start archiving .jpegs, since I
    >>> have the bad habit of saving intermediate-step images when I edit
    >>> graphics, and they're getting out of hand, doncha know?
    >>>
    >>> The ones that I have found that look promising are:
    >>>
    >>> BitZipper ($20)
    >>> PicoZip ($25)
    >>> WinZip ($29)
    >>>
    >>> PentaZip is too expensive and probably over my head anyway. Everybody
    >>> compares their product against WinZip (which is a recommendation in
    >>> itself) but of course they all compare themselves quite favorably,
    >>> so...
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> ~RL

    >> WinZip is the most frequently recommended. Try the evaluation copy to
    >> see how you like it http://www.winzip.com/

    > And if you like it, just keep it ;-)

    It don't stop working, it just keeps on nagging at you to register.

    --
    Paul S

    - It is better to have loved and lost. Cheaper, too! -
    paul s, Jul 31, 2003
  7. Rustiferion

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as paul s continued:

    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:28:38 +0100, slumpy wrote:

    >> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹©
    >> continued:

    >>> WinZip is the most frequently recommended. Try the evaluation copy
    >>> to see how you like it http://www.winzip.com/

    >> And if you like it, just keep it ;-)

    > It don't stop working, it just keeps on nagging at you to register.

    I used to worry that one day it would just stop and say "OK, pay up ya tight
    git."
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Jul 31, 2003
  8. Rustiferion

    paul s Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:36:19 +0100, slumpy wrote:

    > I used to worry that one day it would just stop and say "OK, pay up ya
    > tight git."

    One of my favourite Windows programs is like that, Good ol' Paint Shop
    Pro. Kept on nagging at startup but still done it's job for two years.

    --
    Paul S

    - BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -
    paul s, Jul 31, 2003
  9. I like UltimateZip as it works with more than just zip files AND it is free.

    http://www.ultimatezip.com

    WinRAR is also good if you are going to pay for an unzipper, but it is worth
    the fee....;o)

    I have used both and WinZip, but keep returning to WinRAR.

    "Rustiferion" <> chiseled in stone, the
    following words news:FOfWa.28298$:

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, Aug 1, 2003
  10. Rustiferion Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <FOfWa.28298$>:

    > (I just *know* someone's gonna pick that subject line up and run
    > with it...)
    >
    > I've finally decided to retire my battered Quarterdeck Zip-It and
    > replace it
    > with something from this century. Googling around reveals a
    > bewildering
    > array of programs available, from free to over $60. Since I don't
    > have the energy to download and try trial versions of all of them, I
    > would be interested in hearing opinions from light-to-medium users
    > on what they use. I only email maybe one .zip file a month, but I
    > download maybe a dozen, and I want to start archiving .jpegs, since
    > I have the bad habit of saving intermediate-step images when I edit
    > graphics, and they're getting out of hand, doncha know?
    >
    > The ones that I have found that look promising are:
    >
    > BitZipper ($20)
    > PicoZip ($25)
    > WinZip ($29)
    >
    > PentaZip is too expensive and probably over my head anyway.
    > Everybody compares their product against WinZip (which is a
    > recommendation in itself) but of course they all compare themselves
    > quite favorably, so...
    >
    > TIA
    > ~RL

    Honestly, I'm quite happy with the eval version of Winzip...when
    I'm using a Windows machine that is...

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Aug 1, 2003

  11. > I've finally decided to retire my battered Quarterdeck Zip-It and
    > replace it with something from this century. Googling around reveals a
    > bewildering array of programs available, from free to over $60. Since I
    > don't have the energy to download and try trial versions of all of them,
    > I would be interested in hearing opinions from light-to-medium users on
    > what they use. I only email maybe one .zip file a month, but I download
    > maybe a dozen, and I want to start archiving .jpegs, since I have the
    > bad habit of saving intermediate-step images when I edit graphics, and
    > they're getting out of hand, doncha know?

    Zip Genius. http://www.zipgenius.it/
    Easy to use has heaps of features, opens many other formats,
    Right click to zip and unzip blah blah blah...

    Or have a look here for so other great freeware
    http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com/compression.htm

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm
    Bebop & Rocksteady, Aug 1, 2003
  12. Jim PKP <> wrote:

    >> BitZipper ($20)
    >> PicoZip ($25)
    >> WinZip ($29)
    >>

    >Winzip is small/free/standard

    Winzip is NOT free.

    --

    "It's amazing I won. I was running against
    peace, prosperity, and incumbency."
    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 1, 2003
  13. Pan (was Re: Opinions on zippers (the computer file kind))

    Jimchip Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    in <>:

    > Pan does it all...good scoring, .newsrc sharing.

    Thanks, Jim, for the info.

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Aug 1, 2003
  14. Re: Pan (Was Re: Opinions on zippers (the computer file kind))

    paul s Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    in <>:

    > I do believe it does support Yenc, although I've never tried 'cause
    > I don't do binaries. I used to use KNode/0.7.2 but I found it
    > occasionally lost messages for some reason, probably a bug with that
    > version.
    >
    > For my e-mail I use Moz. Thunderbird. Couldn't get on with KMail.

    Thanks, Paul for the info...

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Aug 1, 2003
  15. Yeah, but it is not going to be of any use to either one of us, if you must
    stash it in the freezer when you need a woody.....;oþ

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, Aug 1, 2003