    Input appreciated, TIA.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 15, 2009

  2. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA17486
    >
    > Just saw it in the PP newsletter. I cancelled the Asus one after a month or
    > so, no stock was forthcoming. I wasn't planning on spending this much but
    > aren't Belkin supposed to be good? Plus it has draft N... (Not that I have
    > need for N for anything else...)
    >
    > Input appreciated, TIA.

    Only 100 meg interfaces on it, which is a limitation with 802.11n.

    Also since its an ethernet WAN on it, you have to put it downstream of
    your other router or else just use it as an accesspoint. Downstream
    means that you are at the mercy of 2 possibly broken NAT
    implimentations, and if its just using the lan port plugged into your
    lan you have to mess around setting it on a static IP and remember it,
    whereas a normal AP will use DHCP to get one.

    Richard, Aug 15, 2009

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA17486
    >>
    >> Just saw it in the PP newsletter. I cancelled the Asus one after a
    >> month or so, no stock was forthcoming. I wasn't planning on spending
    >> this much but aren't Belkin supposed to be good? Plus it has draft
    >> N... (Not that I have need for N for anything else...)
    >>
    >> Input appreciated, TIA.

    > Only 100 meg interfaces on it, which is a limitation with 802.11n.
    >
    > Also since its an ethernet WAN on it, you have to put it downstream of
    > your other router or else just use it as an accesspoint. Downstream
    > means that you are at the mercy of 2 possibly broken NAT
    > implimentations, and if its just using the lan port plugged into your
    > lan you have to mess around setting it on a static IP and remember it,
    > whereas a normal AP will use DHCP to get one.

    Ok. so it's shite then?

    I've had an offer of a second-hand basic AP for ~$30. Must get my arse into
    gear one day when I'm feeling up to it and go to Aucks and get it.

    Trouble is the back's been extra nasty recently. Even on short car trips if
    I hit a minor bump in the road I get bad twinges (pinched nerves). I guess
    having a 24 year old car with 12" wheels doesn't help there. Consequently
    it's tempting to just 'put it on the plastic' and have it delivered.

    Then there's the fact that I know Jack about setting something like this up
    and thought maybe a new one would have a good wizard or similar. (I used to
    have no trouble at all with my LAN, since back in the 98FE days but around
    the time I got a couple ThinkPads it all stopped working right. "You don't
    have permission ro acces this network resource..." I don't know if it's the
    ThinkPads or an XP update that's done my network in. It used to basically be
    plug'n play, just make sure they had the same workgroup name and, if needed,
    set them to 'obtain an IP automatically' (DHCP on router, Speedtouch 510 v4)
    and it was all good to go. Now I find myself using external USB HDDs to move
    data/backups around more often than not. :-( I guess I must sort it out
    soon, was going to wait for the AP first. Do it once....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 16, 2009
  4. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-08-15, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA17486
    >>>
    >>> Just saw it in the PP newsletter. I cancelled the Asus one after a
    >>> month or so, no stock was forthcoming. I wasn't planning on spending
    >>> this much but aren't Belkin supposed to be good? Plus it has draft
    >>> N... (Not that I have need for N for anything else...)
    >>>
    >>> Input appreciated, TIA.

    >> Only 100 meg interfaces on it, which is a limitation with 802.11n.
    >>
    >> Also since its an ethernet WAN on it, you have to put it downstream of
    >> your other router or else just use it as an accesspoint. Downstream
    >> means that you are at the mercy of 2 possibly broken NAT
    >> implimentations, and if its just using the lan port plugged into your
    >> lan you have to mess around setting it on a static IP and remember it,
    >> whereas a normal AP will use DHCP to get one.

    > Ok. so it's shite then?
    >
    > I've had an offer of a second-hand basic AP for ~$30. Must get my arse into
    > gear one day when I'm feeling up to it and go to Aucks and get it.
    >
    > Trouble is the back's been extra nasty recently. Even on short car trips if
    > I hit a minor bump in the road I get bad twinges (pinched nerves). I guess
    > having a 24 year old car with 12" wheels doesn't help there. Consequently
    > it's tempting to just 'put it on the plastic' and have it delivered.

    So, the fuel to AK and back is how much? Your time is worth how much? Your
    back pain, or lack of it is worth how much?

    The delivery charge is?

    Yes it is shite. Admit that eh? ;-)

    Gordon, Aug 16, 2009
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2009-08-15, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:

    >>> Only 100 meg interfaces on it, which is a limitation with 802.11n.
    >>>
    >>> Also since its an ethernet WAN on it, you have to put it downstream
    >>> of your other router or else just use it as an accesspoint.
    >>> Downstream means that you are at the mercy of 2 possibly broken NAT
    >>> implimentations, and if its just using the lan port plugged into
    >>> your lan you have to mess around setting it on a static IP and
    >>> remember it, whereas a normal AP will use DHCP to get one.

    >> Ok. so it's shite then?
    >>
    >> I've had an offer of a second-hand basic AP for ~$30. Must get my
    >> arse into gear one day when I'm feeling up to it and go to Aucks and
    >> get it.
    >>
    >> Trouble is the back's been extra nasty recently. Even on short car
    >> trips if I hit a minor bump in the road I get bad twinges (pinched
    >> nerves). I guess having a 24 year old car with 12" wheels doesn't
    >> help there. Consequently it's tempting to just 'put it on the
    >> plastic' and have it delivered.
    >>

    > So, the fuel to AK and back is how much?

    ~$15. Of course comprehensive running costs (rather than just fuel) to AK
    and back works out at more like ~$20+

    > Your time is worth how much?

    Well, as time is really all one has in life it's worth everything. Or
    nothing. "Priceless" I think is the correct answer.

    > Your back pain, or lack of it is worth how much?

    There's the rub. It depends on the day, the current state of my back (as in
    what I've done previously that might have 'upset' it) and how I'm managing
    my painkillers at that particular time. Now? I'll have to call in my repeat
    prescription tomorrow, nearly a week early as my pain can no longer be
    controlled sufficiently by the meds my General Practitioner is prepared (or
    qualified/allowed) to prescribe.

    > The delivery charge is?

    I wouldn't have a clue. From Ascent it's 'free' and I think that it might
    also be so from Paradigm.

    > Yes it is shite. Admit that eh? ;-)

    Sure, I'll admit that. Having had a bit of a hard time of it recently it's
    easy to admit. For some random reason the depression that I thought I'd
    beaten years ago has been visiting again. I dare say I'll get on top of it,
    I just need to change my mind-set. Actually, it could be partly due to the
    fact that I'm having to use so much 'mind over matter' to control my back
    pain that I've let my control over my depression slip some. It had become
    second-nature I think so I'd considered myself 'over it'. However, with more
    focus on ignoring pain there's less energy left for other things. I'll
    probably forget to breathe next. <g>

    I was thinking that the boost I'd get from some retail therapy, along with a
    warranty and the CGA on the purchase plus possibly customer support if I had
    trouble setting it up might just swing the scales towards getting a new
    item, depending on feedback on said item from the good people in this group
    of course....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 16, 2009
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Collector_NZ wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA17486
    >>>
    >>> Just saw it in the PP newsletter. I cancelled the Asus one after a
    >>> month or so, no stock was forthcoming. I wasn't planning on spending
    >>> this much but aren't Belkin supposed to be good? Plus it has draft
    >>> N... (Not that I have need for N for anything else...)
    >>>
    >>> Input appreciated, TIA.

    >> Only 100 meg interfaces on it, which is a limitation with 802.11n.

    > Yes that is as may be, but you must remember you need N class at both
    > ends for the data rate to mater. and most of us using laptops are
    > locked in unless adding a USB N adapter.

    Yeah, although I have been reading up on ThinkPads.com and it's relatively
    easy (relatively speaking) to put a draft N card in. The difficult bit is
    running the third antenna up behind the screen. As I reckon I'll be keeping
    this ThinkPad for quite a while it's likely that it's something I'll do in
    the future.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 18, 2009
  7. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Yeah, although I have been reading up on ThinkPads.com and it's relatively
    > easy (relatively speaking) to put a draft N card in. The difficult bit is
    > running the third antenna up behind the screen. As I reckon I'll be keeping
    > this ThinkPad for quite a while it's likely that it's something I'll do in
    > the future.

    N works _so_ much better with non line of sight then G did that you will
    kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

    Richard, Aug 18, 2009
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, although I have been reading up on ThinkPads.com and it's
    >> relatively easy (relatively speaking) to put a draft N card in. The
    >> difficult bit is running the third antenna up behind the screen. As
    >> I reckon I'll be keeping this ThinkPad for quite a while it's likely
    >> that it's something I'll do in the future.

    > N works _so_ much better with non line of sight then G did that you
    > will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

    Hmmm, thanks, that's something I'll keep in mind. I'll have to look into
    sourcing the card for the laptop. I think most people use Atheros (sp?)
    brand?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.