    start a deck of CD's for off premises storage, but in the meantime, I
    do feel better about the situation now. Anybody see any flaws that I
    could fix easily, other than not being as lazy as I am?
    Kitt, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Kitt

    Juan Hanglow Guest

    "Kitt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I tried this yesterday and must have walked away without posting.
    > Anyway, the first thing is a heads up about an external hard drive.
    > Staples has an 80 gig Maxtor for $69.95, which I thinks is real good
    > deal on a smaller drive like that. (I think it ends today and I don't
    > know if it's national or not, but it's worth checking out if you need
    > one.)
    >
    > So... I bought it and took it home and did a 'drag and drop' of my "My
    > Pictures" file. About twenty minutes later, all 17 gig of pictures
    > were on the new drive. I plan to do this once a week. I also have 240
    > gig external that I use to back up the whole drive on all three of my
    > computers, so there are two backups of the pictures in existence, even
    > though one will be more current than the rest. I really do intend to
    > start a deck of CD's for off premises storage, but in the meantime, I
    > do feel better about the situation now. Anybody see any flaws that I
    > could fix easily, other than not being as lazy as I am?

    invest in Acronis's TrueImage 9 not only does it do full disc cloning, it
    does incremental backups of individual files. So it could be set to backup
    only the recently added pics. Well worth it money.
    Juan Hanglow, Oct 8, 2005

  3. Kitt

    John H Guest

    On 8 Oct 2005 03:52:11 -0700, "Kitt" <> wrote:

    >I tried this yesterday and must have walked away without posting.
    >Anyway, the first thing is a heads up about an external hard drive.
    >Staples has an 80 gig Maxtor for $69.95, which I thinks is real good
    >deal on a smaller drive like that. (I think it ends today and I don't
    >know if it's national or not, but it's worth checking out if you need
    >one.)
    >
    >So... I bought it and took it home and did a 'drag and drop' of my "My
    >Pictures" file. About twenty minutes later, all 17 gig of pictures
    >were on the new drive. I plan to do this once a week. I also have 240
    >gig external that I use to back up the whole drive on all three of my
    >computers, so there are two backups of the pictures in existence, even
    >though one will be more current than the rest. I really do intend to
    >start a deck of CD's for off premises storage, but in the meantime, I
    >do feel better about the situation now. Anybody see any flaws that I
    >could fix easily, other than not being as lazy as I am?

    There are various folder sync programs available that update
    changed/added files only so you don't have to copy the entire archive.

    MS has a free one that recently came out for XP, although I
    haven't tried it as I already have another brand that works well. The
    link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx
    John H, Oct 8, 2005
  4. Kitt

    Frank ess Guest

    Kitt wrote:
    > I tried this yesterday and must have walked away without posting.
    > Anyway, the first thing is a heads up about an external hard drive.
    > Staples has an 80 gig Maxtor for $69.95, which I thinks is real good
    > deal on a smaller drive like that. (I think it ends today and I
    > don't
    > know if it's national or not, but it's worth checking out if you
    > need
    > one.)
    >
    > So... I bought it and took it home and did a 'drag and drop' of my
    > "My
    > Pictures" file. About twenty minutes later, all 17 gig of pictures
    > were on the new drive. I plan to do this once a week. I also have
    > 240
    > gig external that I use to back up the whole drive on all three of
    > my
    > computers, so there are two backups of the pictures in existence,
    > even
    > though one will be more current than the rest. I really do intend
    > start a deck of CD's for off premises storage, but in the meantime,
    > do feel better about the situation now. Anybody see any flaws that
    > could fix easily, other than not being as lazy as I am?

    Costco.com shows a 250 GB 7200 RPM USB 2 drive for 149 dollars,
    automatic coupon price.
    Frank ess, Oct 8, 2005
  5. Kitt

    John H Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:06:24 GMT, John H <> wrote:

    >On 8 Oct 2005 03:52:11 -0700, "Kitt" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I tried this yesterday and must have walked away without posting.
    >>Anyway, the first thing is a heads up about an external hard drive.
    >>Staples has an 80 gig Maxtor for $69.95, which I thinks is real good
    >>deal on a smaller drive like that. (I think it ends today and I don't
    >>know if it's national or not, but it's worth checking out if you need
    >>one.)
    >>
    >>So... I bought it and took it home and did a 'drag and drop' of my "My
    >>Pictures" file. About twenty minutes later, all 17 gig of pictures
    >>were on the new drive. I plan to do this once a week. I also have 240
    >>gig external that I use to back up the whole drive on all three of my
    >>computers, so there are two backups of the pictures in existence, even
    >>though one will be more current than the rest. I really do intend to
    >>start a deck of CD's for off premises storage, but in the meantime, I
    >>do feel better about the situation now. Anybody see any flaws that I
    >>could fix easily, other than not being as lazy as I am?

    > There are various folder sync programs available that update
    >changed/added files only so you don't have to copy the entire archive.
    >
    > MS has a free one that recently came out for XP, although I
    >haven't tried it as I already have another brand that works well. The
    >link:
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

    Follow up on the Synctoy: I installed and ran it. It's
    simple, offers a number of options and works fine. I ran it to sync
    folders on different machines on a home LAN.
    John H, Oct 8, 2005
  6. Kitt

    Mardon Guest

    "Kitt" <> wrote...
    > ... the first thing is a heads up about
    > an external hard drive. Staples has an 80 gig Maxtor
    > for $69.95, which I thinks is real good
    > deal on a smaller drive like that....
    >Anybody see any flaws that I could fix easily...

    It's not exactly a 'flaw' but I had a poor experience buying the Maxtor
    external drive enclosure. The HD inside went bad after about 14 months.
    The warranty on the enclosure was only one year, so I opened up the
    enclosure to have a look at the drive. I was amazed to see that the drive
    itself was clearly labeled with a warranty sticker that showed almost 2
    years left before it expired. I contacted Maxtor and found out that the HD
    itself was one of their models that has a 3-Yr warranty but since it was
    sold as part of an enclosure that had only a one year warranty, the shorter
    warranty period applied and they would not do anything to replace the HD.
    If I had bought the HD separately and installed it in another manufacture's
    enclosure, then the HD's 3-Yr warranty would have been honored. Obviously,
    I have since bought 3-Yr warranty HDs separately and installed them in
    generic enclosures.
    Mardon, Oct 8, 2005
  7. Kitt

    Marvin Guest

    Kitt wrote:
    > I tried this yesterday and must have walked away without posting.
    > Anyway, the first thing is a heads up about an external hard drive.
    > Staples has an 80 gig Maxtor for $69.95, which I thinks is real good
    > deal on a smaller drive like that. (I think it ends today and I don't
    > know if it's national or not, but it's worth checking out if you need
    > one.)
    >
    > So... I bought it and took it home and did a 'drag and drop' of my "My
    > Pictures" file. About twenty minutes later, all 17 gig of pictures
    > were on the new drive. I plan to do this once a week. I also have 240
    > gig external that I use to back up the whole drive on all three of my
    > computers, so there are two backups of the pictures in existence, even
    > though one will be more current than the rest. I really do intend to
    > start a deck of CD's for off premises storage, but in the meantime, I
    > do feel better about the situation now. Anybody see any flaws that I
    > could fix easily, other than not being as lazy as I am?

    There's nothing wrong with being constructively lazy. Windows' Briefcase could make it
    easier to keep the files on the two HDs synched.
    Marvin, Oct 8, 2005
  8. Kitt

    Chimp Guest

    "John H" <> wrote in message

    > Follow up on the Synctoy: I installed and ran it. It's
    > simple, offers a number of options and works fine. I ran it to sync
    > folders on different machines on a home LAN.

    Thanks for the info on that - I've installed it, and it looks as though it
    will be useful (pity about having to put NET framework on, though)
    Chimp, Oct 8, 2005
  9. Kitt

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Juan Hanglow" <> wrote in message

    > "Kitt" <> wrote in message
    >>I tried this yesterday and must have walked away without posting.
    >> Anyway, the first thing is a heads up about an external hard drive.
    >> Staples has an 80 gig Maxtor for $69.95, which I thinks is real good
    >> deal on a smaller drive like that. (I think it ends today and I don't
    >> know if it's national or not, but it's worth checking out if you need
    >> one.)
    >>
    >> So... I bought it and took it home and did a 'drag and drop' of my "My
    >> Pictures" file. About twenty minutes later, all 17 gig of pictures
    >> were on the new drive. I plan to do this once a week. I also have 240
    >> gig external that I use to back up the whole drive on all three of my
    >> computers, so there are two backups of the pictures in existence, even
    >> though one will be more current than the rest. I really do intend to
    >> start a deck of CD's for off premises storage, but in the meantime, I
    >> do feel better about the situation now. Anybody see any flaws that I
    >> could fix easily, other than not being as lazy as I am?
    >>

    > invest in Acronis's TrueImage 9 not only does it do full disc cloning, it
    > does incremental backups of individual files. So it could be set to backup
    > only the recently added pics. Well worth it money.

    Another imaging solution is bootitng from terabyteunlimited.com. The package
    also does partitioning and multi-os system support. I've used it for a long
    time now with no problems plus they have an excellent support ng.
    I only image the main os partition, use a file backup program for data.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Oct 8, 2005
  10. Kitt

    Mark² Guest

    Mardon wrote:
    > "Kitt" <> wrote...
    >> ... the first thing is a heads up about
    >> an external hard drive. Staples has an 80 gig Maxtor
    >> for $69.95, which I thinks is real good
    >> deal on a smaller drive like that....
    >> Anybody see any flaws that I could fix easily...

    > It's not exactly a 'flaw' but I had a poor experience buying the
    > Maxtor external drive enclosure. The HD inside went bad after about
    > 14 months. The warranty on the enclosure was only one year, so I
    > opened up the enclosure to have a look at the drive. I was amazed to
    > see that the drive itself was clearly labeled with a warranty sticker
    > that showed almost 2 years left before it expired. I contacted
    > Maxtor and found out that the HD itself was one of their models that
    > has a 3-Yr warranty but since it was sold as part of an enclosure
    > that had only a one year warranty, the shorter warranty period
    > applied and they would not do anything to replace the HD. If I had
    > bought the HD separately and installed it in another manufacture's
    > enclosure, then the HD's 3-Yr warranty would have been honored. Obviously,
    > I have since bought 3-Yr warranty HDs separately and
    > installed them in generic enclosures.

    I've had two external Maxtor drive failures after relatively short periods,
    as well. Internal drives from Maxtor have been fine, but the externals have
    been highly problematic for me (both USB2 and FireWire). I've now taken to
    buying empty enclosures from ADS, and adding my own internal drive to it.
    After two years, it's been flawless...and...I can always swap the drive out
    if need be, without having to pay the external-drive premium.
    Mark², Oct 8, 2005
  11. Kitt

    Markeau Guest

    I've also had problems with Maxtor's, had to replace 5 internals and 2
    externals in 6yrs (mostly due to bearing whine, but some flat out
    failed). I have since switched to Seagate ... mostly in ADS Dual Link
    enclosures (just added a 6th 400GB Seagate in a Dual Link enclosure
    today).
    Markeau, Oct 8, 2005
  12. Kitt

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Kitt wrote:
    > I tried this yesterday and must have walked away without posting.
    > Anyway, the first thing is a heads up about an external hard drive.
    > Staples has an 80 gig Maxtor for $69.95, which I thinks is real good
    > deal on a smaller drive like that. (I think it ends today and I don't
    > know if it's national or not, but it's worth checking out if you need
    > one.)
    >
    > So... I bought it and took it home and did a 'drag and drop' of my "My
    > Pictures" file. About twenty minutes later, all 17 gig of pictures
    > were on the new drive. I plan to do this once a week. I also have 240
    > gig external that I use to back up the whole drive on all three of my
    > computers, so there are two backups of the pictures in existence, even
    > though one will be more current than the rest. I really do intend to
    > start a deck of CD's for off premises storage, but in the meantime, I
    > do feel better about the situation now. Anybody see any flaws that I
    > could fix easily, other than not being as lazy as I am?

    I use a similar system, plus I upload photos to Webshots. I have found
    that when I move pictures from my comptuer to my wife's external USB 2.0
    drive, they are often corrupt. If I first move them to her HD, then to
    the USB drive, no problem. Kinda strange, and VERY annoying. I guess
    someday I will get a computer for myself that has a big drive, and/or a
    USB 2.0 hi-speed interface. Trouble is that changing computers is about
    as much fun as moving....

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Oct 9, 2005
  13. Kitt

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 14:21:49 -0500, Markeau wrote:

    > I've also had problems with Maxtor's, had to replace 5 internals and 2
    > externals in 6yrs (mostly due to bearing whine, but some flat out
    > failed). I have since switched to Seagate ... mostly in ADS Dual Link
    > enclosures (just added a 6th 400GB Seagate in a Dual Link enclosure
    > today).

    I've been using several Maxtor and Seagate Barracuda (notoriously
    hot running) SCSI drives for nearly 8 years with no problems.
    Putting them in external enclosures with enough clearance to allow
    good air flow, and having better than adequate fans is probably why
    they've survived.
    ASAAR, Oct 9, 2005
  14. Kitt

    Andrew Haley Guest

    Kitt <> wrote:
    > I tried this yesterday and must have walked away without posting.
    > Anyway, the first thing is a heads up about an external hard drive.
    > Staples has an 80 gig Maxtor for $69.95, which I thinks is real good
    > deal on a smaller drive like that. (I think it ends today and I don't
    > know if it's national or not, but it's worth checking out if you need
    > one.)

    > So... I bought it and took it home and did a 'drag and drop' of my "My
    > Pictures" file. About twenty minutes later, all 17 gig of pictures
    > were on the new drive. I plan to do this once a week. I also have 240
    > gig external that I use to back up the whole drive on all three of my
    > computers, so there are two backups of the pictures in existence, even
    > though one will be more current than the rest. I really do intend to
    > start a deck of CD's for off premises storage, but in the meantime, I
    > do feel better about the situation now. Anybody see any flaws that I
    > could fix easily, other than not being as lazy as I am?

    There is one weakness that you should probably address: what happens
    if you delete a whole directory by mistake? This is a common error,
    more common than hardware failure, and you run the risk of overwriting
    your backup. This is why archives are different from backups.

    Andrew.
    Andrew Haley, Oct 9, 2005
  15. Kitt

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 10:45:19 -0000, Andrew Haley wrote:

    > There is one weakness that you should probably address: what happens
    > if you delete a whole directory by mistake? This is a common error,
    > more common than hardware failure, and you run the risk of overwriting
    > your backup. This is why archives are different from backups.

    There's also a related weakness. Whether from hardware error or
    malicious virus, corrupted files propagate to the backup and are
    less likely to be noticed than if the files are missing unless
    they're frequently used or checked. Having multiple old (archived)
    backups allows you to recover files when recent backups are useless.
    Using a large hard drive for backups rates high for convenience, but
    a better, more thorough solution is multiple full backups (with
    added incremental or differential backups if preferred) using tape
    or DVDs.
    ASAAR, Oct 9, 2005