    what the general opinion is on this brand? - The others I have to choose
    from are Canon and Panasonic but they are both more expensive here in
    Australia.

    Thomas, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Thomas

    Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:15:30 +1000, "Thomas" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I am thinking of purchasing a 3.24MP Ricoh digital camera. I'm wondering
    >what the general opinion is on this brand? - The others I have to choose
    >from are Canon and Panasonic but they are both more expensive here in
    >Australia.
    >
    >Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

    I had an old RDC5300 2.3 mps that I gave to a neighbour and continues
    to serve him well.

    It was built like a tank , took cracking sharp colourful pictures and
    beat my later Canon Ixus by miles in many areas. It was just that the
    Ixus ( Elph something in the States ) was so pocketable!
    At the time it was produced it got rave reviews everywhere in the UK
    although sales in the States were low.

    Curently I'm using the brilliant FZ-10 from Panasonic but I'd have
    every confidence that a Ricoh Camera would serve me well.

    , Jun 17, 2004

  3. Thomas

    Jeremy Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I had an old RDC5300 2.3 mps that I gave to a neighbour and continues
    > to serve him well.
    >
    > It was built like a tank , took cracking sharp colourful pictures and
    > beat my later Canon Ixus by miles in many areas. It was just that the
    > Ixus ( Elph something in the States ) was so pocketable!
    > At the time it was produced it got rave reviews everywhere in the UK
    > although sales in the States were low.

    I have its predecessor, the RDC-5000, and I still use it today. The camera
    looks very similar to the Contax (T-3?) and takes photos that are
    tack-sharp. Glass lens, multicoated, with aspherical elements. Comes with
    a LENSHOOD! And it really does cut flare. Try to find a lenshood on
    anything but a Leica.

    My zoom length is 38-86 mm, but that range covers most of my needs. I have
    film gear and 13 prime lenses for special situations.

    Remote control is great as an electronic equivalent of a cable release. I
    shoot a lot on tripod, and use Ofoto for prints, and they are fabulous for a
    2.3 MP.

    The text mode makes the camera function as a portable Xerox machine, and the
    text can be read by OCR software. The "Keep Settings" function allows you
    to customize your settings for exposure compensation, slow shutter mode,
    etc. and the camera will always power up with YOUR personalized defaults.

    Uses standard AA NiMH batteries, available anywhere. Has USB connector, and
    also has serial connection.

    Also has automatic lens cover (no lens cap to lose) and has optical
    viewfinder that adjusts magnification to match your focal length.

    No movie mode or sound mode, but I find that it serves my photo needs just
    fine!

    Jeremy, Jun 17, 2004