    Here's a list of stuff I can fire up:

    http://jordanlund.dvdaf.com/owned

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Jul 21, 2007

  2. On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:09:23 -0700, Jordan <> wrote:

    >I'm getting a new TV delivered tomorrow, one of the Samsung LED DLP
    >sets... any opinions on reference quality DVDs for calibration and
    >stuff?
    >
    >Historically people refer to the Fifth Element or The Matrix, but a
    >lot of time has passed since those DVDs came out and what was once
    >reference quality (The Matrix in particular) seems outdated now
    >(compared to the new boxed set versions of the flicks.)

    First of all, you need not just the new, exciting TV, you also need one
    or both of the HD formats to get the best picture.

    The Fifth Element is BluRay, and Matrix would have been HD DVD only
    except the bat's turds rode both sides of the fence.

    Anyway, IF you have a discerning eye, you WILL notice the graininess of
    standard DVD on the new set. An HD format is in your future.

    This calibration disc is a combo disc that works in both standard and HD
    DVD method. So it will work now, and later if you get an HD DVD set up.

    http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video...-7431936?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1185003634&sr=1-12

    http://www.videoessentials.com/

    Top quality stuff. I have the Laser Disc, the DVD, and now their combo
    disc.

    Truly top notch stuff.

    Spurious Response, Jul 21, 2007

  3. Spurious Response wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:09:23 -0700, Jordan <> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm getting a new TV delivered tomorrow, one of the Samsung LED DLP
    >>sets... any opinions on reference quality DVDs for calibration and
    >>stuff?
    >>
    >>Historically people refer to the Fifth Element or The Matrix, but a
    >>lot of time has passed since those DVDs came out and what was once
    >>reference quality (The Matrix in particular) seems outdated now
    >>(compared to the new boxed set versions of the flicks.)

    > First of all, you need not just the new, exciting TV, you also need one
    > or both of the HD formats to get the best picture.
    >
    > The Fifth Element is BluRay, and Matrix would have been HD DVD only
    > except the bat's turds rode both sides of the fence.

    <registers what is commonly referred to as "a Ruthless People moment" 0_0 >

    Um, believe he was asking about the modern *equivalent* of Fifth Element
    and Matrix as historic calibrators of one's first DVD player, back in
    the 90's?...

    (All other info in the post is relatively valid, but that one...wwwWOW.)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jul 21, 2007
  4. Jordan

    sandy58 Guest

    On Jul 21, 9:02 am, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > Spurious Response wrote:
    > > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:09:23 -0700, Jordan <> wrote:

    > >>I'm getting a new TV delivered tomorrow, one of the Samsung LED DLP
    > >>sets... any opinions on reference quality DVDs for calibration and
    > >>stuff?

    > >>Historically people refer to the Fifth Element or The Matrix, but a
    > >>lot of time has passed since those DVDs came out and what was once
    > >>reference quality (The Matrix in particular) seems outdated now
    > >>(compared to the new boxed set versions of the flicks.)

    > > First of all, you need not just the new, exciting TV, you also need one
    > > or both of the HD formats to get the best picture.

    > > The Fifth Element is BluRay, and Matrix would have been HD DVD only
    > > except the bat's turds rode both sides of the fence.

    > <registers what is commonly referred to as "a Ruthless People moment" 0_0 >
    >
    > Um, believe he was asking about the modern *equivalent* of Fifth Element
    > and Matrix as historic calibrators of one's first DVD player, back in
    > the 90's?...
    >
    > (All other info in the post is relatively valid, but that one...wwwWOW.)
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    LOL. Nice one, DJ :)

    sandy58, Jul 21, 2007
  5. sandy58 wrote:

    > On Jul 21, 9:02 am, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >
    >>Spurious Response wrote:

    >>> First of all, you need not just the new, exciting TV, you also need one
    >>>or both of the HD formats to get the best picture.

    >>> The Fifth Element is BluRay, and Matrix would have been HD DVD only
    >>>except the bat's turds rode both sides of the fence.

    >><registers what is commonly referred to as "a Ruthless People moment" 0_0 >
    >>
    >>Um, believe he was asking about the modern *equivalent* of Fifth Element
    >>and Matrix as historic calibrators of one's first DVD player, back in
    >>the 90's?...
    >>
    >>(All other info in the post is relatively valid, but that one...wwwWOW.)

    > LOL. Nice one, DJ :)

    Well, to be honest, I was sloppy and misread it at first and thought the
    OP was asking about adjusting a hi-def player--
    And wondered "Yeesh...Why would he be using Fifth Element??"

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jul 21, 2007
  6. Jordan

    Guest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > sandy58 wrote:

    > >><registers what is commonly referred to as "a Ruthless People moment" 0_0 >
    > >>
    > >>Um, believe he was asking about the modern *equivalent* of Fifth Element
    > >>and Matrix as historic calibrators of one's first DVD player, back in
    > >>the 90's?...
    > >>
    > >>(All other info in the post is relatively valid, but that one...wwwWOW.)

    > > LOL. Nice one, DJ :)

    > Well, to be honest, I was sloppy and misread it at first and thought the
    > OP was asking about adjusting a hi-def player--
    > And wondered "Yeesh...Why would he be using Fifth Element??"
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    reference dvds -

    fifth element superbit
    the eagles - hell freezes over <or farewell 1, both are superclean>
    blade 2
    lord of the rings extended editions
    spiderman 2 superbit

    -- Animix

    Guest, Jul 21, 2007
  7. Jordan

    TB Guest

    wrote:

    (snip)

    > reference dvds -
    >
    > fifth element superbit
    > the eagles - hell freezes over <or farewell 1, both are superclean>
    > blade 2
    > lord of the rings extended editions
    > spiderman 2 superbit

    Add to that the Peter Jackson King Kong extended edition.

    T.B.

    TB, Jul 21, 2007
  8. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    On Jul 21, 1:07 pm, "TB" <> wrote:

    > > reference dvds -

    > > fifth element superbit
    > > the eagles - hell freezes over <or farewell 1, both are superclean>
    > > blade 2
    > > lord of the rings extended editions
    > > spiderman 2 superbit

    > Add to that the Peter Jackson King Kong extended edition.

    Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking
    for... and yes, I have HD-DVD. On my 1080i set though I could barely
    see a difference between that and regular DVD. I don't have everything
    hooked up to the new set yet, but I'll look forward to running up some
    of those.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Jul 22, 2007
  9. Jordan wrote:

    > On Jul 21, 1:07 pm, "TB" <> wrote:
    >

    >>>reference dvds -

    >>>fifth element superbit
    >>>the eagles - hell freezes over <or farewell 1, both are superclean>
    >>>blade 2
    >>>lord of the rings extended editions
    >>>spiderman 2 superbit

    >>Add to that the Peter Jackson King Kong extended edition.

    > Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking
    > for... and yes, I have HD-DVD.

    Batman Begins. Next question. :)

    Derek Janssen (well, why didn't you say that?)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 22, 2007
  10. On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:21:38 -0700, Jordan <> wrote:

    >On Jul 21, 1:07 pm, "TB" <> wrote:
    >
    >> > reference dvds -

    >> > fifth element superbit
    >> > the eagles - hell freezes over <or farewell 1, both are superclean>
    >> > blade 2
    >> > lord of the rings extended editions
    >> > spiderman 2 superbit

    >> Add to that the Peter Jackson King Kong extended edition.

    >Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking
    >for... and yes, I have HD-DVD. On my 1080i set though I could barely
    >see a difference between that and regular DVD. I don't have everything
    >hooked up to the new set yet, but I'll look forward to running up some
    >of those.
    >
    >- Jordan

    Well then. Look at your Std copy of Full Metal Jacket, and then look
    at the HD DVD version.

    Both are very grainy, but the difference between the HD output and the
    Std are clearly visible and clearly show the reasons for the change in
    the industry to meet the demands of the new displays available (actually,
    the demands of the viewers thereof).

    In fact, two grainy releases like this may actually be better
    indicators of said differences.

    The Std (collector's) and HD releases of King Kong would be examples of
    two where the differences are much harder to take note of, but they are
    there, nonetheless. Playback of any Std disks are required to be done on
    an old, non-upconverting player if you wish to see the differences.
    Upconverted playback will hide some of the differences in some cases.

    Spurious Response, Jul 22, 2007
  11. Jordan

    unclejr Guest

    On Jul 22, 3:17 am, Spurious Response
    <> wrote:
    > Upconverted playback will hide some of the differences in some cases.

    Which is a lot cheaper of an option for me (the Oppo DV-970HD) than to
    buy a BRD or HDDVD player and then double dip on the content with new
    software.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Jul 24, 2007
  12. On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:45:56 -0700, unclejr <> wrote:

    >On Jul 22, 3:17 am, Spurious Response
    ><> wrote:
    >> Upconverted playback will hide some of the differences in some cases.

    >Which is a lot cheaper of an option for me (the Oppo DV-970HD) than to
    >buy a BRD or HDDVD player and then double dip on the content with new
    >software.
    >
    >-Junior

    But your upconverted Std DVDs are NOT being delivered to you in HD.

    It's like printing a four color GIF file from the late eighties which
    comes from a 120 x 150 dpi source resolution on a 1600 dpi color printer.

    The resolution of the playback device still doesn't change the base
    level resolution of the original source data.

    You need to understand that concept.

    It's like viewing a tiny MPEG file blown up to full screen on a high res
    monitor. All the compression artifacts become MORE clear.

    So for hi res transfers like Kong Kong, etc. It MIGHT look better than
    on an older player. For the terrible Std Full Metal Jacket type
    transfers, however, it will be quite disappointing.

    I hear that the BluTurd release of The Fifth Element was a sad
    disappointment for consumers, and they say the superbit Std DVD version
    is better.

    I think the studios need to stop cutting corners on what they deliver
    to us as a product.

    We need:

    Pristine telecine sessions at high resolution.

    A decent, proper liner note in ALL releases (lazy fucks).

    Well done extras, also at higher resolution, not dropped back to jaggy
    crap to save disc space, there is PLENTY of disc space.

    If they are going to release quick done, no frills runs of a film, make
    it priced to match. Give consumers that simply want only the film what
    they want at a more reasonable price, you money grubbing assholes.
    They already made hundreds of millions on the film release in many cases.

    They don't need to string us along... down the path to wallet
    extraction with bullshit.

    The HD release of "The Forbidden Planet" is great!

    The Ultimate Collector's edition was touted as having a new transfer...
    etc., etc., etc., and the damned thing was packed with the same damned
    disc as the other release. SOOOOOOO LAME!

    So my Forbidden Planet spot(s) on my shelf are occupied by duplicates
    and the damned title cost me over $70!

    Spurious Response, Jul 24, 2007
  13. Spurious Response wrote:

    > I hear that the BluTurd release of The Fifth Element was a sad
    > disappointment for consumers

    Well, that's probably why they remastered it, then:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Element-Remastered-Blu-ray/dp/B000QTD368

    ....Nnnnext?

    Derek Janssen (but then, with the Death of HD-DVD, Dark now has a new
    "My obsolete geek-stuff is better than yours!" to brag about)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 24, 2007
  14. On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 00:51:42 -0400, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Spurious Response wrote:
    >>
    >> I hear that the BluTurd release of The Fifth Element was a sad
    >> disappointment for consumers

    >Well, that's probably why they remastered it, then:
    >http://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Element-Remastered-Blu-ray/dp/B000QTD368

    Is that also why the stores still display the fucked up versions?

    >...Nnnnext?

    Yeah... my thoughts on your peanut gallery end of post commentary.

    You belong in the kooks group.

    >Derek Janssen (but then, with the Death of HD-DVD, Dark now has a new
    >"My obsolete geek-stuff is better than yours!" to brag about)

    You're a bigger idiot than the Sony twit that wandered into the group
    some months back spewing the same bullshit. Was he one of your sock
    puppets, dipshit? Hard to believe that you actually believe your
    bullshit, but I am sure you do.

    Spurious Response, Jul 24, 2007
  15. Jordan

    unclejr Guest

    On Jul 24, 1:52 am, Spurious Response
    <> wrote:
    > You're a bigger idiot than the Sony twit that wandered into the group
    > some months back spewing the same bullshit. Was he one of your sock
    > puppets, dipshit? Hard to believe that you actually believe your
    > bullshit, but I am sure you do.

    Welcome back, DARKMATTER. <sniff> We missed you.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Jul 24, 2007
  16. On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 01:13:06 -0700, unclejr <> wrote:

    >On Jul 24, 1:52 am, Spurious Response
    ><> wrote:
    >> You're a bigger idiot than the Sony twit that wandered into the group
    >> some months back spewing the same bullshit. Was he one of your sock
    >> puppets, dipshit? Hard to believe that you actually believe your
    >> bullshit, but I am sure you do.

    >Welcome back, DARKMATTER. <sniff> We missed you.
    >
    >-Junior

    Oh boy!... <belch>... <fart>... Thumbs nose.

    Spurious Response, Jul 24, 2007
  17. In article <>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Spurious Response wrote:
    > >
    > > I hear that the BluTurd release of The Fifth Element was a sad
    > > disappointment for consumers

    > Well, that's probably why they remastered it, then:
    > http://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Element-Remastered-Blu-ray/dp/B000QTD368
    >
    > ...Nnnnext?
    >
    > Derek Janssen (but then, with the Death of HD-DVD, Dark now has a new
    > "My obsolete geek-stuff is better than yours!" to brag about)

    and they are offering a free swap for those that bought that early
    release.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jul 24, 2007
  18. In article <>,
    Spurious Response <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:45:56 -0700, unclejr <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Jul 22, 3:17 am, Spurious Response
    > ><> wrote:
    > >> Upconverted playback will hide some of the differences in some cases.

    > >Which is a lot cheaper of an option for me (the Oppo DV-970HD) than to
    > >buy a BRD or HDDVD player and then double dip on the content with new
    > >software.
    > >
    > >-Junior

    > But your upconverted Std DVDs are NOT being delivered to you in HD.
    >
    > It's like printing a four color GIF file from the late eighties which
    > comes from a 120 x 150 dpi source resolution on a 1600 dpi color printer.
    >
    > The resolution of the playback device still doesn't change the base
    > level resolution of the original source data.
    >
    > You need to understand that concept.
    >
    > It's like viewing a tiny MPEG file blown up to full screen on a high res
    > monitor. All the compression artifacts become MORE clear.
    >
    > So for hi res transfers like Kong Kong, etc. It MIGHT look better than
    > on an older player. For the terrible Std Full Metal Jacket type
    > transfers, however, it will be quite disappointing.
    >
    > I hear that the BluTurd release of The Fifth Element was a sad
    > disappointment for consumers, and they say the superbit Std DVD version
    > is better.
    >
    > I think the studios need to stop cutting corners on what they deliver
    > to us as a product.
    >
    > We need:
    >
    > Pristine telecine sessions at high resolution.
    >
    > A decent, proper liner note in ALL releases (lazy fucks).
    >
    > Well done extras, also at higher resolution, not dropped back to jaggy
    > crap to save disc space, there is PLENTY of disc space.
    >
    > If they are going to release quick done, no frills runs of a film, make
    > it priced to match. Give consumers that simply want only the film what
    > they want at a more reasonable price, you money grubbing assholes.
    > They already made hundreds of millions on the film release in many cases.
    >
    > They don't need to string us along... down the path to wallet
    > extraction with bullshit.
    >
    > The HD release of "The Forbidden Planet" is great!
    >
    > The Ultimate Collector's edition was touted as having a new transfer...
    > etc., etc., etc., and the damned thing was packed with the same damned
    > disc as the other release. SOOOOOOO LAME!
    >
    > So my Forbidden Planet spot(s) on my shelf are occupied by duplicates
    > and the damned title cost me over $70!

    You are correct that an upconverted video isn't as good as a hi def
    original. At least for video freaks and such. ;-)

    But for my eyes and tv, I have a problem telling the difference between
    720p and 1080i on most disks so it isn't really an issue. I have both
    HDDVD and BluRay and find that I'm more interested in the total
    experience.

    Is it theater like? Both audio and video come into play to make that
    happen, the hi def disks both offer better audio to help with that.

    As to Forbidden Planet. Well that is my all time favorite movie. Saw
    it as a kid when it came out and have seen it in theaters as late as the
    mid 70's. I'm waiting for either Netflix or BB to send me the hi def
    version now.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jul 24, 2007
  19. On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:19:21 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <>
    wrote:

    >But for my eyes and tv, I have a problem telling the difference between
    >720p and 1080i on most disks so it isn't really an issue.

    Except that std DVDs are at 480, not 720.

    Spurious Response, Jul 25, 2007
  20. Jordan

    unclejr Guest

    On Jul 24, 8:00 pm, Spurious Response
    <> wrote:
    > Except that std DVDs are at 480, not 720.

    He's talking about SCALED to 720p, genus.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Jul 25, 2007