Opinions on Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Sep 17, 2005.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello,

    I first became aware of this thing thru this NG. I downloaded it onto my
    computer, installed it, ran it, nothing was found.

    I added it to my mobile "bag of tricks".

    Since then, I've probably run it on about a dozen other computers; only once
    did I find any bad stuff while using it. And, since I use this in
    conjunction with other Ad/spy/mal/ware removers (Ad-Aware, SpySweeper, MS
    Beta, AdAware Away, SpyBot), and since these utilities ALWAYS pick up
    garbage that MMSRT doesn't even know about...why bother with this thing?

    What is up with this? Is it just a publicity gimmick? Are there hopes that
    it's going to get better, stronger, more "aware"? Why would the world's
    most successful software company hand out a freeware that does next to
    nothing? Am I missing something?

    As always, your opinions, comments, diatribes, death threats are welcome.

    Thank you.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Sep 17, 2005

  2. smackedass

    PM Guest

    smackedass wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I first became aware of this thing thru this NG. I downloaded it onto my
    > computer, installed it, ran it, nothing was found.
    >
    > I added it to my mobile "bag of tricks".
    >
    > Since then, I've probably run it on about a dozen other computers; only once
    > did I find any bad stuff while using it. And, since I use this in
    > conjunction with other Ad/spy/mal/ware removers (Ad-Aware, SpySweeper, MS
    > Beta, AdAware Away, SpyBot), and since these utilities ALWAYS pick up
    > garbage that MMSRT doesn't even know about...why bother with this thing?
    >
    > What is up with this? Is it just a publicity gimmick? Are there hopes that
    > it's going to get better, stronger, more "aware"? Why would the world's
    > most successful software company hand out a freeware that does next to
    > nothing? Am I missing something?

    Is this the tool that's supposed to remove the rootkit type of spyware?
    If so, I don't think they're all that common...at least not compared
    to the normal "spyware" that Ad-Aware/Spybot/AntiSwpyare/Spysweeper track.
    PM, Sep 17, 2005

  3. It seems to be similar to McAfee Stinger in that it is a compact tool that
    will fit on a floppy that will detect and remove some of the most common
    malware. Trend Micro offers the free Sysclean that works in the same way in
    that you do not have to install it and has a much more extensive list of
    malware that it will detect and remove and they update the definition files
    usually daily. More than a few times users have reported that it found
    malware that their full feature antivirus program could not detect. ---
    Steve

    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp --- Link to Sysclean and also
    see the link in the right hand column for the Trend Micro pattern files. Be
    sure to read sysclean.txt

    Steven L Umbach, Sep 17, 2005