    hardware from another manufacturer ? Or is learning about Cisco
    equipment (even at the bottom end) a right of passage that any self
    respecting geek should go through ? Thanks in advance.

    UKuser, Jan 21, 2004

  2. "UKuser" <> wrote in message news:...
    > So what do you think of the '97 as a low end router ? Have I made a
    > mistake and should I just re-auction it and go for better specified
    > hardware from another manufacturer ? Or is learning about Cisco
    > equipment (even at the bottom end) a right of passage that any self
    > respecting geek should go through ? Thanks in advance.

    I can't speak of the SOHO 97 itself, only of the 837 which is essentially
    the same router (there was a thread on here a week or so back about the
    differences). I think it's quite a decent router, though there are bugs in
    IOS which cause it to crash or stop making certain nat translations every
    other day, fixed by a reboot.

    I have learnt quite a bit about IOS since getting it, so that is certainly
    something. However it isn't as easy to play with all the features as it
    would with a normal router, since you need to connect it to an ADSL network
    you don't have control over, so it's probably not the best device to learn
    on.

    Also keep in mind since you bought it from an auction you wont actually have
    a licence to run the IOS that came with it (unless it was from a Cisco
    authorised reseller and came with paperwork), so legally you can't even use
    your new toy.

    Richard.

    Richard Antony Burton, Jan 21, 2004

  3. UKuser

    UKuser Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    Well, the router apparently is brand new and boxed because the original
    buyer bought it thinking he could use it with a cable modem. It was an
    online auction (personal sale) so hopefully there might be some
    paperwork with it - or possibly not :( .

    Yes I had a quick look at the 837. All I could really find out about it
    is it seems to have VPN support chips which the '97 does not. Also I
    think the IOS in the 837 may have more enabled features - though I might
    be wrong. Of course the other major difference between the 837 and 97 is
    price. The 837 is completely out of my price range as a home user -
    unless I stumble across another auction bargain.

    UKuser, Jan 21, 2004
  4. "UKuser" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Well, the router apparently is brand new and boxed because the original
    > buyer bought it thinking he could use it with a cable modem. It was an
    > online auction (personal sale) so hopefully there might be some
    > paperwork with it - or possibly not :( .

    I'm afraid that's no good. The original paperwork he got from the original
    supplier should have allowed him to use IOS, but he can't transfer that to
    you, so you don't have a licence. I wouldn't worry too much though.

    > The 837 is completely out of my price range as a home user -
    > unless I stumble across another auction bargain.

    I paid £260 for my 837 off ebay, which is probably too expensive for a
    regular home user, considering a <£50 unbranded router will do the same
    things the average home user will use it for. But I don't like to do things
    by halves. Out of interest how much is a 97?

    Richard.

    Richard Antony Burton, Jan 21, 2004