Opinions on Canon i900D?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matt Ion, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. Matt Ion

    Matt Ion Guest

    Looking for a decent printer to hook up to my Digital Rebel... I was
    particularly impressed by the i860 for price (CDN$199) vs. performance, with
    the i960 as a second option (costs around $40 more, and I don't see any
    significant differences in the specs except for 6 ink tanks vs. 5 for the
    i860). But now the local FutureShop has the i900D on for the same $199,
    $100 off the usual price... looks especially ncie as it seems to have the
    same general specs as the i960, but with the addition of multiple card slots
    AND onboard 2.5" LCD for minor pre-print tweaking. The only catch is it
    appears to have nearly double the print times of the i960 (75s for 4x6 vs.
    35s).

    Anyone used either (or better yet, both) of these printers that can comment?
    Is the i900D worth taking advantage of the 1/3 price savings?

    from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
    incapable of forming such opinions."
    -- Albert Einstein

    Matt Ion, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Matt Ion

    Ryadia Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > Looking for a decent printer to hook up to my Digital Rebel... I was
    > particularly impressed by the i860 for price (CDN$199) vs. performance, with
    > the i960 as a second option (costs around $40 more, and I don't see any
    > significant differences in the specs except for 6 ink tanks vs. 5 for the
    > i860). But now the local FutureShop has the i900D on for the same $199,
    > $100 off the usual price... looks especially ncie as it seems to have the
    > same general specs as the i960, but with the addition of multiple card slots
    > AND onboard 2.5" LCD for minor pre-print tweaking. The only catch is it
    > appears to have nearly double the print times of the i960 (75s for 4x6 vs.
    > 35s).
    >
    > Anyone used either (or better yet, both) of these printers that can comment?
    > Is the i900D worth taking advantage of the 1/3 price savings?

    I used to own A 9000 Canon printer. I was at first delighted with it's
    output but after the first photos began to fade and shift colour, I
    realised I'd made the wrong choice. Now I use 3 different printers for
    different purposes. I use a Minolta Magicolor laser printer to make
    postcards and brochures, a HP Designjet 130 for wall art and panorama
    prints and an Epson R300 with continuous flow system.

    The little Epson runs all day long on 6"x4" prints I use as proofs and
    do for other people. It cost's next to nothing for ink now. It makes
    absolutely beautiful photographs and they don't fade or shift colour in
    a short time like the canon stuff does.

    I can highly recommend the 6 colour Hewlett Packard printers too. Mine
    does up to 24" wide and although I have only just got it, I know from
    what other Photographers are doing with theirs, these are the "Epson
    killers" of large format printers.

    If I were today to be faced with buying a new A4 printer... Based on
    what I now know, I would buy either an Epson r800 or a HP, 6 colour
    printer. The Canon's are simply not up to producing lasting output
    unless you laminate it. Both the Epson an HP (using the right paper)
    will make prints that last.

    I have on my wall I picture I printed on an Epson 640 almost 4 years ago
    and a another picture I printed on a Canon i320 when they were first
    released 2 years ago. I can still make out the outline of the people in
    the Canon print if I look real close but there is no colour left in it.
    The Epson print (on Kodak everyday picture paper) still looks like I
    printed it a few weeks ago.

    Canon prints are not too bad under glass or laminated but leave them
    exposed to the air and they shift colour within a few weeks and begin to
    fade within a month or so. The Epson r200 is good value, better (in my
    opinion) than the Canons and it is the same 6 colour engine as the r300.

    Ryadia

    Ryadia, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Matt Ion

    YoYo Guest

    I have the Canon I9900 and it is
    outstanding!!
    When using Canon Photo Paper Plus prints
    are perfect and fast (30sec for 4x6 or
    3min for 13x19 edge to edge). I printed
    a photo when I first bought the printer
    and put that picture on a outside shelf
    that is in full sun and months latter
    no change in photo. That passed my
    test!!

    "Matt Ion" <>
    wrote in message
    > Looking for a decent printer to hook

    up to my Digital Rebel... I was
    > particularly impressed by the i860 for

    price (CDN$199) vs. performance, with
    > the i960 as a second option (costs

    around $40 more, and I don't see any
    > significant differences in the specs

    except for 6 ink tanks vs. 5 for the
    > i860). But now the local FutureShop

    has the i900D on for the same $199,
    > $100 off the usual price... looks

    especially ncie as it seems to have the
    > same general specs as the i960, but

    with the addition of multiple card slots
    > AND onboard 2.5" LCD for minor

    pre-print tweaking. The only catch is
    it
    > appears to have nearly double the

    print times of the i960 (75s for 4x6 vs.
    > 35s).
    >
    > Anyone used either (or better yet,

    both) of these printers that can
    comment?
    > Is the i900D worth taking advantage of

    the 1/3 price savings?

    > --
    > "Few people are capable of expressing

    with equanimity opinions which differ

    YoYo, Aug 14, 2004
  4. I also bought the i9900. I agree. It prints fast, the color is
    outstanding, and I haven't noticed any distortion over time.
    Dennis D. Carter

    Dennis D. Carter, Aug 14, 2004
  5. Matt Ion

    Ryadia Guest

    Dennis D. Carter wrote:

    > I also bought the i9900. I agree. It prints fast, the color is
    > outstanding, and I haven't noticed any distortion over time.
    > Dennis D. Carter

    From an earlier post by another person in this group;

    "I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem: I own a canon
    i850 and use their inks to print my pix. I've noticed that after a
    few months the ink has faded in the pix, particularly black which fads
    to a brown color. If anyone knows anything that can stop the fading
    I'd greatly appreciate it. I thought of spraying hair spray on the
    pix to protect them but it didn't work, they still faded. Any other
    thoughts?"

    So it would seem 2 pluses and 2 minuses equal a maybe?

    Ryadia

    Ryadia, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Matt Ion

    des Guest

    In article <QUnTc.57350$>,
    says...
    > Dennis D. Carter wrote:
    >
    > > I also bought the i9900. I agree. It prints fast, the color is
    > > outstanding, and I haven't noticed any distortion over time.
    > > Dennis D. Carter
    > >

    > From an earlier post by another person in this group;
    >
    > "I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem: I own a canon
    > i850 and use their inks to print my pix. I've noticed that after a
    > few months the ink has faded in the pix, particularly black which fads
    > to a brown color. If anyone knows anything that can stop the fading
    > I'd greatly appreciate it. I thought of spraying hair spray on the
    > pix to protect them but it didn't work, they still faded. Any other
    > thoughts?"
    >
    > So it would seem 2 pluses and 2 minuses equal a maybe?
    >
    > Ryadia

    I have the i960 which makes great prints using photo paper plus and pro,
    but also have significant fading if exposed to air. OK if put behind
    glass though.

    des, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Matt Ion

    REED BOXIN Guest

    i used the s9000 to do alot of on the spot photos and also the local little
    leauge team pictures and indivual portraits, dance studio etc .

    they definetly fade , not a good thing if your selling prints to people .
    i was looking to get the upgrade to the 9100 but got the
    kodak 8500 dye sub printer instead
    the paper and ribbon is expensive
    $ 2.00 per sheet average for 81/2 x 12
    well worth it nice laminated print that i feel confident about selling to
    someone .

    i print them out thru photoshop cs to get the best results .

    gene

    REED BOXIN, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Matt Ion

    Skip M Guest

    "REED BOXIN" <> wrote in message
    > i used the s9000 to do alot of on the spot photos and also the local

    little
    > leauge team pictures and indivual portraits, dance studio etc .
    >
    > they definetly fade , not a good thing if your selling prints to people .
    > i was looking to get the upgrade to the 9100 but got the
    > kodak 8500 dye sub printer instead
    > the paper and ribbon is expensive
    > $ 2.00 per sheet average for 81/2 x 12
    > well worth it nice laminated print that i feel confident about selling to
    > someone .
    >
    > i print them out thru photoshop cs to get the best results .
    >
    > gene
    >

    > >From an earlier post by another person in this group;
    > >
    > >"I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem: I own a canon
    > >i850 and use their inks to print my pix. I've noticed that after a
    > >few months the ink has faded in the pix, particularly black which fads
    > >to a brown color. If anyone knows anything that can stop the fading
    > >I'd greatly appreciate it. I thought of spraying hair spray on the
    > >pix to protect them but it didn't work, they still faded. Any other
    > >thoughts?"
    > >
    > >So it would seem 2 pluses and 2 minuses equal a maybe?
    > >
    > >Ryadia

    What paper are you guys printing on who get fading with Canon 9000, 9100 and
    9900 printers? I have experienced no significant fading since I bought my
    9000 in Feb. I print on Ilford Gallerie Classic and Smooth, both Pearl and
    Glossy, papers, and on Epson Double Heavyweight Matte

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Aug 14, 2004
  9. Matt Ion

    Steve West Guest

    I use the i850 also, and fading depends on paper type. I print 8x10s and
    have a big bulletin board I post them on. Printing to glossy pro paper will
    cause fading. I've gotten aound this by putting them into 8x10 transparent
    sleeves. If you print to matte paper, there doesn't seem to be any fading
    if they are left unprotected. Both papers are Canon.

    Steve

    Steve West, Aug 14, 2004
  10. Matt Ion

    Matt Ion Guest

    "Ryadia" <> wrote in message

    > Canon prints are not too bad under glass or laminated but leave them
    > exposed to the air and they shift colour within a few weeks and begin to
    > fade within a month or so. The Epson r200 is good value, better (in my
    > opinion) than the Canons and it is the same 6 colour engine as the r300.

    Hmm, three different printers are a little our of the budget right now...
    personally, I've used a few different Epson color inkjets before and never
    liked them: the jets had a nasty tendency to clog up if not used at least
    weekly.

    That A9000 is an older unit too, no? I suspect Canon has improved things
    since then, as the sample prints I've seen in all the local stores would
    indicate after months of sitting out on display (and showing signs of much
    abuse of being bent, curled, dropped on the floor, etc.)

    Matt Ion, Aug 14, 2004
  11. Matt Ion

    Bob Williams Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > Looking for a decent printer to hook up to my Digital Rebel... I was
    > particularly impressed by the i860 for price (CDN$199) vs. performance, with
    > the i960 as a second option (costs around $40 more, and I don't see any
    > significant differences in the specs except for 6 ink tanks vs. 5 for the
    > i860). But now the local FutureShop has the i900D on for the same $199,
    > $100 off the usual price... looks especially ncie as it seems to have the
    > same general specs as the i960, but with the addition of multiple card slots
    > AND onboard 2.5" LCD for minor pre-print tweaking. The only catch is it
    > appears to have nearly double the print times of the i960 (75s for 4x6 vs.
    > 35s).
    >
    > Anyone used either (or better yet, both) of these printers that can comment?
    > Is the i900D worth taking advantage of the 1/3 price savings?

    FWIW, The latest issue of Consumer Reports rated the Canon i860 as its
    best buy, as well as its best performer.
    Photo Quality was excellent, but they consider several other variables
    in addition to Photo Quality, in making their judgement
    You may want to check out the article at your Public Library.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Aug 14, 2004
  12. Matt Ion

    REED BOXIN Guest

    i was using only canon inks and photo paper pro glossy by canon.

    i never tryed matted as another post spoke highly of ?.

    i shoot with a 10d, l lenses etc and love them but not the printer (s9000 can't
    speak of others, i have only used this one )

    gene

    REED BOXIN, Aug 14, 2004