Opinions on a VPN device for 10 concurrent users (25 total)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ned, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. Ned

    Ned Guest

    Hello

    I administer a 1500 node network for a public school system. I have a
    PIX 515U installed as the firewall with an ISA server behind it in
    integrated mode (another firewall). I have been providing VPN access
    by using ISA and PPTP after configuring the PIX for passthrough. The
    VPN was used only by me at first but it has slowly grown to include 5
    employees and a few outside vendors that support some of our
    application servers. Now I am being told that the police department
    requires remote access to some of our video surveillance servers and
    several other vendors as well as an entire department within the school
    need access too.

    My first thought was to remove ISA as a firewall which had complicated
    using the PIX as a VPN device but I am wondering if it would not be
    better to simply purchase a dedicated VPN device. Could I install it
    parallel to the PIX? I need a good solid solution that includes a
    method of checking clients to ensure they adhere to a strict policy
    including having a current antivirus installed. If possible I would
    also like to put them on a seperate VLAN of my network which is based
    on Cisco.

    Any ideas??

    thanks
    Ned Hart

    Ned, Jul 31, 2006

  2. Hi Ned,

    You may wish to investigate the Cisco VPN Savings Calculator:

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/largeent/learn/technologies/vpn/vpn_calc/vpnstart.html

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power-supply-inventory.htm