    More details here: http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=87750547

    Cheers,
    Jaqian
    Jaqian, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Jaqian

    How Bizarre Guest

    "Jaqian" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi after reading "Newbie Question about F Stops and Apertures" I tried
    > messing around with the F-Stop/Shutter speed this morning and was
    > wondering what you thought of this photo I took:
    > http://static.flickr.com/38/87750547_72fc81d7f2_b.jpg I used a tri-pod
    > and timer to avoid camera shake. I was trying to capture the colours of
    > a sunrise even thjough was taken around 8:30am. Hope to get an earlier
    > shot tomorrow.
    >
    > Exposure: 0.077 sec (1/13)
    > Aperture: f/5.6
    > ISO: 64
    >
    > More details here: http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=87750547

    Hi Jaqian, out of curiosity whereabouts was the shot taken?
    How Bizarre, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Jaqian

    Jaqian Guest

    Hi,
    it was taken on Matt Talbot bridge facing towards "The Ferryman" pub on
    the southside thats where all the cranes are.

    Jaqian
    Jaqian, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Jaqian

    Alex Guest

    On 17 Jan 2006 01:44:42 -0800, "Jaqian" <> wrote:

    >Hi after reading "Newbie Question about F Stops and Apertures" I tried
    >messing around with the F-Stop/Shutter speed this morning and was
    >wondering what you thought of this photo I took:
    >http://static.flickr.com/38/87750547_72fc81d7f2_b.jpg I used a tri-pod
    >and timer to avoid camera shake. I was trying to capture the colours of
    >a sunrise even thjough was taken around 8:30am. Hope to get an earlier
    >shot tomorrow.

    I like the dark exposure but some might want just a touch brighter.
    This is a good start.

    There's nothing interesting about the water (if it had more colour or
    some kind of turbulence or some people on a boat) so it would be much
    better if the bridge and/or shoreline was across the bottom third of
    the picture.

    This is especially annoying because those clouds are so pretty - they
    should have taken up more of the picture than they did.

    Also, a picture should be (usually) concerned with thirds. They're
    (generally) more dynamic and less boring. Look up the "rule of thirds"
    and go from there (including the quotes, if you use Google).

    --
    Alex
    atheist #2007
    Alex, Jan 17, 2006
  5. The scene is beautiful. I agree with Alex that brightening the foreground
    would l be a good idea, and that eliminating some of the water in the
    foreground would improve the composition. You can easily do that by
    cropping the foreground reasonably close to the shoreline and bridge. It is
    always best to crop in the camera , but that is not always possible. With a
    zoom lens, however, you can crop to some extent, and that would be the way
    to go. Cropping in an editing program such as Photoshop reduces the file
    size, and could possibly make it difficult to resize for enlarging to your
    printer.

    Bernard

    Bernard Saper, Jan 17, 2006
  6. Jaqian

    How Bizarre Guest

    "Jaqian" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > it was taken on Matt Talbot bridge facing towards "The Ferryman" pub on
    > the southside thats where all the cranes are.
    >
    > Jaqian

    Sorry my skills in clairvoyance aren't working just now ;o)

    Any chance of telling us, in which part of the world that is.

    Many thanks.
    How Bizarre, Jan 17, 2006
  7. Jaqian

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:45:55 -0000, "How Bizarre" <go@away> wrote:

    >"Jaqian" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> it was taken on Matt Talbot bridge facing towards "The Ferryman" pub on
    >> the southside thats where all the cranes are.
    >>
    >> Jaqian

    >Sorry my skills in clairvoyance aren't working just now ;o)
    >
    >Any chance of telling us, in which part of the world that is.
    >
    >Many thanks.

    Dublin.
    Google is your friend.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Jan 17, 2006
  8. Jaqian

    Marvin Guest

    Jaqian wrote:
    > Hi after reading "Newbie Question about F Stops and Apertures" I tried
    > messing around with the F-Stop/Shutter speed this morning and was
    > wondering what you thought of this photo I took:
    > http://static.flickr.com/38/87750547_72fc81d7f2_b.jpg I used a tri-pod
    > and timer to avoid camera shake. I was trying to capture the colours of
    > a sunrise even thjough was taken around 8:30am. Hope to get an earlier
    > shot tomorrow.
    >
    > Exposure: 0.077 sec (1/13)
    > Aperture: f/5.6
    > ISO: 64
    >
    > More details here: http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=87750547
    >

    > Cheers,
    > Jaqian

    The dynamic range of a digital photo is such that you can adjust the photo to look like it
    wwas taken at the firts glimmer of light, or in full daylight. I copied the photo from
    the site, pasted it into Paint Shop Pro, and easily did that just by changing the
    brightness setting. You can sleep later tomorrow.
    Marvin, Jan 17, 2006
  9. Jaqian

    no_name Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:45:55 -0000, "How Bizarre" <go@away> wrote:
    >

    >>"Jaqian" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>it was taken on Matt Talbot bridge facing towards "The Ferryman" pub on
    >>>the southside thats where all the cranes are.
    >>>
    >>>Jaqian

    >>Sorry my skills in clairvoyance aren't working just now ;o)
    >>
    >>Any chance of telling us, in which part of the world that is.
    >>
    >>Many thanks.
    >>

    > Dublin.
    > Google is your friend.

    It's also in the "More details here:" link at the bottom of the post.
    no_name, Jan 17, 2006
  10. Jaqian

    UC Guest

    This is an underexposed image.

    Why bother us with this?

    UC, Jan 17, 2006
  11. Jaqian

    Jaqian Guest

    Hey UC thanks for your support and advice. Your the friend every newbie
    needs. :/
    Jaqian, Jan 18, 2006
  12. Jaqian

    Jaqian Guest

    Jaqian, Jan 18, 2006
  13. Jaqian

    BernieM Guest

    "UC" <> wrote in message
    > This is an underexposed image.
    >
    > Why bother us with this?
    >
    > Jaqian wrote:
    >> Hi after reading "Newbie Question about F Stops and Apertures" I tried
    >> messing around with the F-Stop/Shutter speed this morning and was
    >> wondering what you thought of this photo I took:
    >> http://static.flickr.com/38/87750547_72fc81d7f2_b.jpg I used a tri-pod
    >> and timer to avoid camera shake. I was trying to capture the colours of
    >> a sunrise even thjough was taken around 8:30am. Hope to get an earlier
    >> shot tomorrow.
    >>
    >> Exposure: 0.077 sec (1/13)
    >> Aperture: f/5.6
    >> ISO: 64
    >>
    >> More details here: http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=87750547
    >>

    >> Cheers,
    >> Jaqian

    You chose to reply uc, how about you not bother next time. With any luck no
    one will bother replying to your posts either.
    BernieM, Jan 18, 2006
  14. Jaqian

    Alex Guest

    On 18 Jan 2006 02:07:49 -0800, "Jaqian" <> wrote:

    >Thanks everyone for the advice I've cropped the photo and brightened it
    >somewhat. See what you make of it now:
    >http://static.flickr.com/18/88149665_3441696d02_o.jpg

    You cropped too much from the bottom... Rule of thirds man! Get the
    nice bottom line of the dock and bridge to fall along the bottom third
    (it's on the bottom quarter now).

    Also, you've now cropped most of the bridge off. Why?

    --
    Alex
    atheist #2007
    Alex, Jan 18, 2006
  15. Jaqian

    John H Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:41:59 -0500, Alex <> wrote:

    >On 18 Jan 2006 02:07:49 -0800, "Jaqian" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks everyone for the advice I've cropped the photo and brightened it
    >>somewhat. See what you make of it now:
    >>http://static.flickr.com/18/88149665_3441696d02_o.jpg

    >You cropped too much from the bottom... Rule of thirds man! Get the
    >nice bottom line of the dock and bridge to fall along the bottom third
    >(it's on the bottom quarter now).
    >
    >Also, you've now cropped most of the bridge off. Why?

    An interpretation:
    http://members.accesswave.ca/~parklane/cranes1.jpg
    but I think you need a better exposure to start with. I would use
    bracketed exposures and blend for increased dynamic range; one for the
    sky and one for the dark areas. You could read these with spot or
    centre weighted metering and check the bracketing parameters to see if
    they would be suitable. If not you could set them manually although
    that risks moving the camera. This may be more than you want to get
    into but more info can be found here
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml

    I have warped the picture slightly to minimize distortion from
    the wide angle setting that resulted in a hump along the seawall and
    horizon.

    John H
    John H, Jan 18, 2006
  16. UC wrote:
    > This is an underexposed image.
    >
    > Why bother us with this?

    Because he asked for help. I disagree that the image is underexposed.
    The clouds are a beautiful red-orange. On the brighter version,
    they become washed out. What is underexposed is the foreground.

    If you want the buildings in silhouette, select the water in
    the foreground and brighten it then boost the contrast
    to make the buildings darker, and the clouds
    will have more pop too.

    If you want the buildings to show more, select the buildings
    to the bottom of the picture and brighten, increase contrast a little
    with curves.

    When doing s selection, feather with many pixels in this case.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 18, 2006
  17. Jaqian

    Guest

    Jaqian wrote:
    > Hi after reading "Newbie Question about F Stops and Apertures" I tried
    > messing around with the F-Stop/Shutter speed this morning and was
    > wondering what you thought of this photo I took:
    > http://static.flickr.com/38/87750547_72fc81d7f2_b.jpg I used a tri-pod
    > and timer to avoid camera shake. I was trying to capture the colours of
    > a sunrise even thjough was taken around 8:30am. Hope to get an earlier
    > shot tomorrow.
    >
    > Exposure: 0.077 sec (1/13)
    > Aperture: f/5.6
    > ISO: 64
    >
    > More details here: http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=87750547
    >

    > Cheers,
    > Jaqian
    , Jan 18, 2006
  18. Jaqian

    Guest

    The picture is underexposed.The location looks great. Keep shooting
    till you find the right light and you will have discovered some sort of
    sense about lighting relative to what you see and how the camera sees
    light. When you get the right exposure you can always darken or lighten
    if you like. The subject seems worthy of a reshoot with the use of a
    light meter and a bit of experimentation (cropping, exposure and a
    different time of day also from a few other positions) Don't get
    discouraged about over and underexposure...every photographer learns
    from it and ultimately discovers a good negative does not replace
    photoshop gimmicks.
    Good luck.
    WG
    , Jan 18, 2006
  19. Jaqian

    UC Guest

    > UC wrote:
    > > This is an underexposed image.
    > >
    > > Why bother us with this?

    > Because he asked for help. I disagree that the image is underexposed.

    Sorry, it is.

    UC, Jan 18, 2006
  20. Jaqian

    Frank ess Guest

    "Jaqian" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks everyone for the advice I've cropped the photo and brightened
    > it
    > somewhat. See what you make of it now:
    > http://static.flickr.com/18/88149665_3441696d02_o.jpg
    >
    > Btw if any of you had been taking this shot what setting etc would
    > you
    > used?

    I liked the original best: the expanse of water lends substantial heft
    and perspective. As much as I enjoy "drilling in" to see detail,
    sometimes the relationship between masses is equally pleasing. In this
    case the water serves as a stable base from which to view man-made
    artifacts.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Jan 18, 2006