    professional business people here want to share their thoughts and ideas on
    how to improve the professionalism?

    thanks

    Brian, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Brian

    Patrick Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > I am trying to come up with a professional, mature sounding voice mail
    > message for my cell. Right now it's on the default "You've reached
    > mailbox number XXX" in the robot girl voice. I want one that sounds
    > professional, polite and courteous. I have got this so far:
    >
    > Hello and thank-you for calling Brian XXXX. I'm sorry, but I am
    > currently away from my phone and am unable to take your call at the
    > present time. If you would leave your name, number and a brief
    > message, I will return your call as soon as I can. Thank you and have
    > a great day.
    >

    > I'm looking for some opinions to tweak this to sound ultra
    > professional. Any professional business people here want to share
    > their thoughts and ideas on how to improve the professionalism?
    >
    > thanks

    This link was pleasant to read.
    http://www.mpiweb.org/aboutmpi/home/prin.asp

    Patrick, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Brian

    philo Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to come up with a professional, mature sounding voice mail
    > message for my cell. Right now it's on the default "You've reached mailbox
    > number XXX" in the robot girl voice. I want one that sounds professional,
    > polite and courteous. I have got this so far:
    >
    > Hello and thank-you for calling Brian XXXX. I'm sorry, but I am currently
    > away from my phone and am unable to take your call at the present time. If
    > you would leave your name, number and a brief message, I will return your
    > call as soon as I can. Thank you and have a great day.
    >

    > I'm looking for some opinions to tweak this to sound ultra professional.

    Any
    > professional business people here want to share their thoughts and ideas

    on
    > how to improve the professionalism?
    >
    > thanks

    i'm a professional business person
    and i leave the shortest message possible
    something like:

    this is phil, please leave a message

    most people tend not to want to listen to a bunch of bull!
    additionally, if one is getting a message they assume you cannot answer
    in person and hardly need some stupid explanation.

    additionally, people who want to leave a message don't want to waste time
    listening to a long message.

    i leave my name, simply to confirm that they have the correct number!

    philo, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Brian

    trout Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > I am trying to come up with a professional, mature sounding voice mail
    > message for my cell. Right now it's on the default "You've reached
    > mailbox number XXX" in the robot girl voice. I want one that sounds
    > professional, polite and courteous. I have got this so far:
    >
    > Hello and thank-you for calling Brian XXXX. I'm sorry, but I am
    > currently away from my phone and am unable to take your call at the
    > present time. If you would leave your name, number and a brief
    > message, I will return your call as soon as I can. Thank you and have
    > a great day.
    >

    > I'm looking for some opinions to tweak this to sound ultra
    > professional. Any professional business people here want to share
    > their thoughts and ideas on how to improve the professionalism?
    >
    > thanks

    You might want to 'thank them' for calling up front (for calling;
    not waiting for you to reply). And returning calls "as soon as I can"
    sounds standard-issue, arbitrary, and not really believable. I'd throw
    in a "possibly" or something, there, to indicate that their call is
    freakishly important to you.
    --
    "A little extra BS to give them hope that you are indeed thrilled that
    they called."

    trout, Aug 21, 2003
  5. Brian

    °Mike° Guest

    You should be polite and courteous, without sounding slimy
    and pretentious.

    Hello. Thank-you for calling Brian XXXX. I am unable to take
    your call at the present time, but if you would care to leave your
    name, number and a brief message, I will return your call at the
    earliest opportunity.

    Don't repeat the "thank you" at the end.

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:27:51 GMT, in
    <Ha81b.1694$>
    Brian scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 21, 2003
  6. Brian

    O.Phooey Guest

    First off Brian, lose the XXXX last name. Sounds like a porn site.

    Might I suggest, Brian XOXO. It's friendly, curteous, upbeat, and if
    you look anything like Angelina Jolie, very slurpy..

    O.Phooey, Aug 21, 2003
  7. Brian

    trout Guest

    Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    <snip>

    > Seriously advise you NOT to include anything in the message about
    > being away from home. Just say "I can't come to the phone" or
    > something like that. Don't let strangers know your house is
    > unoccupied.

    "I'm in the 'safe room', cleaning my guns"?
    --
    "Don't leave a message. I know who you are. I know what you want."

    trout, Aug 21, 2003
  8. Brian

    riz Guest

    Agreed.!
    This is Joe Blow.I can't take your call right now but please leave a message
    and I'll get back to you.

    riz, Aug 22, 2003
  9. On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:49:35 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, "Patrick" <> posted:
    ..
    >Brian wrote:
    >> I am trying to come up with a professional, mature sounding voice mail
    >> message for my cell. Right now it's on the default "You've reached
    >> mailbox number XXX" in the robot girl voice. I want one that sounds
    >> professional, polite and courteous. I have got this so far:
    >>
    >> Hello and thank-you for calling Brian XXXX. I'm sorry, but I am
    >> currently away from my phone and am unable to take your call at the
    >> present time. If you would leave your name, number and a brief
    >> message, I will return your call as soon as I can. Thank you and have
    >> a great day.
    >>

    >> I'm looking for some opinions to tweak this to sound ultra
    >> professional. Any professional business people here want to share
    >> their thoughts and ideas on how to improve the professionalism?
    >>
    >> thanks

    >This link was pleasant to read.
    >http://www.mpiweb.org/aboutmpi/home/prin.asp

    Excellent link. Thank you,

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 22, 2003
  10. On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:27:51 GMT, While I was using pressure to stop the
    bleeding, "Brian" <> posted:
    ..
    >I am trying to come up with a professional, mature sounding voice mail
    >message for my cell. Right now it's on the default "You've reached mailbox
    >number XXX" in the robot girl voice. I want one that sounds professional,
    >polite and courteous. I have got this so far:
    >
    >Hello and thank-you for calling Brian XXXX. I'm sorry, but I am currently
    >away from my phone and am unable to take your call at the present time. If
    >you would leave your name, number and a brief message, I will return your
    >call as soon as I can. Thank you and have a great day.
    >

    >I'm looking for some opinions to tweak this to sound ultra professional. Any
    >professional business people here want to share their thoughts and ideas on
    >how to improve the professionalism?

    In my last job I critically listened to thousands of telephone
    conversations. Thus, I cannot overstate the value of a professional
    sounding voice. Such voices are fairly uncommon, and often must be the
    product of training.

    Be brief and I think it most important to be using a voice that sounds
    professional. Especially if you are not a professional speaker, yours
    may not.

    Try to get objective opinions on your telephone voice. If yours is not
    professional sounding then i recommend using a third party. If it is
    extremely important then for a small fee you might pay a professional
    speaker to record the message. (Radio or TV professional whose voice is
    not so well known that it is easily recognizable.)

    Of course you will need to modify your message to reflect the third
    party..

    ============

    Hello and thank you for calling Brian XXXX.. Brian is currently
    away from his phone. Please leave your name, number, and a brief message,
    Brian will return your call as soon as is possible. Thank you.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 22, 2003
  11. Brian

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Brian <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to come up with a professional, mature sounding voice mail
    > message for my cell. Right now it's on the default "You've reached

    mailbox
    > number XXX" in the robot girl voice. I want one that sounds

    professional,
    > polite and courteous. I have got this so far:
    >
    > Hello and thank-you for calling Brian XXXX. I'm sorry, but I am

    currently
    > away from my phone and am unable to take your call at the present

    time. If
    > you would leave your name, number and a brief message, I will return

    your
    > call as soon as I can. Thank you and have a great day.
    >

    > I'm looking for some opinions to tweak this to sound ultra

    professional. Any
    > professional business people here want to share their thoughts and

    ideas on
    > how to improve the professionalism?
    >
    > thanks

    My friend's teenage girl's message is something like this: Hi, like,
    this is, well you know, and my friend just called and she goes, let's go
    like to the mall, ok--then I'm like wow yeah then I go, let's go...and
    that's like where I am.

    Juan Pérez, Aug 22, 2003
  12. Brian

    Brian Guest

    My friend said I sound like a telemarketer on the phone. I take it that
    isn't a good thing :-/

    I'm thinking about what phil said, about being very short and precise, I
    will agree, listening to long messages is a bore, but listening to a 8
    second very professional message is very impressive I think! AHHHHH

    Brian, Aug 22, 2003
  13. Brian

    Patrick Guest

    O.Phooey wrote:
    > First off Brian, lose the XXXX last name. Sounds like a porn site.
    >
    > Might I suggest, Brian XOXO. It's friendly, curteous, upbeat, and if
    > you look anything like Angelina Jolie, very slurpy..

    How the dickins would he pronounce 'XOXO', in a verbally recorded reply ? :)

    Patrick, Aug 22, 2003
  14. Brian

    Patrick Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > My friend said I sound like a telemarketer on the phone. I take it
    > that isn't a good thing :-/
    >
    > I'm thinking about what phil said, about being very short and
    > precise, I will agree, listening to long messages is a bore, but
    > listening to a 8 second very professional message is very impressive
    > I think! AHHHHH

    Hit his hindeed, !! :)

    Patrick, Aug 22, 2003