    better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with decent
    sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im looking
    to have the most flexability for travel and location type work.

    mutt, Feb 20, 2004

  2. mutt

    . Guest

    Multiple cards, IMHO. Think of how many cards would weigh just a third of
    the lap top? And travel with a lap top on airplanes today is a pain.

    "mutt" <> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which would I

    be

    ., Feb 20, 2004

  3. "mutt" <> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which

    would I be
    > better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with

    decent
    > sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im

    looking
    > to have the most flexability for travel and location type work.

    I suggest that you get an image storage device like a Tripper, Image
    Tank, or Xs-Drive. www.mydigitaldiscount.com is one retailer who
    carries these. I've had a Tripper for two months and it has been the
    best solution for me. I have two 256 meg CF cards and the 40 GB
    Tripper which I also use as a portable hard drive for transferring
    large files from my office to my home.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 20, 2004
  4. "mutt" <> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which would I

    be
    > better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with decent
    > sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im

    looking
    > to have the most flexability for travel and location type work.

    Mutt,

    I got 3 x 512MB cards. I also carefully evaluated the three JPEG
    compression options and found that, for the type of photos I take and the
    display I use (I very rarely print), the Basic compression produced
    adequate quality. I can then use Normal if I require better quality. Do
    test compression level for your own way of working.

    Another trick I sometimes use is reducing the picture height by using the
    3:2 aspect ratio for panorama-style photos - it saves a little memory.
    Editing at night to remove the obviously bad shots gives back card space
    as well.

    I don't like the idea of carrying around a laptop - it's just another
    thing to worry about or stop working. I've worked on carrying enough
    cards for the last 6 years now.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 20, 2004
  5. mutt

    Guest

    mutt <> wrote:
    > I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which would I be
    > better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with decent
    > sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im looking
    > to have the most flexability for travel and location type work.

    Both, but what you ask is entirely a matter of personal opinion. I have a Digital
    Rebel with three 256MB CF I cards and a Mac Powerbook with a CD-RW/DVD burner. I
    like being able to work with my photos while I am traveling and see how they look on
    my Mac's 15" screen so that if I shoot some duds of a nice scene, I have the
    opportunity to find out and reshoot the photos before I go home.

    , Feb 20, 2004
  6. On Thursday 19 February 2004 06:08 pm, mutt wrote:

    > I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which would
    > I be better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with
    > decent
    > sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im
    > looking to have the most flexability for travel and location type
    > work.

    It really depends on your shooting habits. Do you tend to shoot lots of
    shots and edit heavily like I do, or are you a persnickety
    photographer, who chooses his shots carefully? Do you shoot mostly in
    TIFF or is JPEG good enough? Personally, I'd hate to have to lug
    around a laptop in the field just to save pictures to, but, then, I
    wouldn't want to trust a week or a month's worth of shooting to a few,
    easily lost or damaged memory cards either. Also, if you don't intend
    to process the images immediately, then having a laptop would be
    superfluous. Perhaps one of those portable, battery powered hard drive
    storage appliances instead would be an optimum solution.

    --
    Stefan Patric

    Stefan Patric, Feb 20, 2004
  7. mutt

    ekanahuambo Guest

    "mutt" <> wrote in message news:<bWdZb.13989$>...
    > I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which would I be
    > better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with decent
    > sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im looking
    > to have the most flexability for travel and location type work.

    I just pucahsed this camera as well. I had a Canon PowerShot G2
    previously and had bought a Lexar 1Gig card for that camera. I think
    your solution is to buy a larger memory card. Too many cards and
    you're bound to start losing them. The 1Gig card can take about 150
    pictures in RAW format allowing the best editing capabilities.

    ekanahuambo, Feb 21, 2004