    Cisco to download?

    Thanks,

    -Jay
    jaylucasaustin.rr.com, May 19, 2006

  2. jaylucasaustin.rr.com

    Rob Guest

    JMO, but i find the pix so overrated. i'll only use them for vpn tunnels
    and secure incoming.
    Been using more of the linux based systems for internet protection,
    all in one boxes. They blow the snot out of the cisco.
    To answer your question, if you surf google, you can find the ios and
    pdm downloads. You don't necessarily have to go to cisco to get them.
    Yes, stupidly enuf, you need a contract with cisco before they give you
    anything.

    "jaylucasaustin.rr.com" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Through my previous employer, I likely will be able to purchase a number

    of
    > 501's for a very good price. I do not believe that they have been used

    for

    Rob, May 19, 2006

  3. In article <mzbbg.40047$>,
    jaylucasaustin.rr.com <> wrote:
    >Through my previous employer, I likely will be able to purchase a number of
    >501's for a very good price. I do not believe that they have been used for
    >quite some time, so they are likely way out of revision on
    >software/firmware. Is it possible to get the latest software as an end
    >user, or does one need to have an account and service agreement through
    >Cisco to download?

    If you search Cisco's site for PIX Security Advisories
    then you will find information that will entitle your employer
    to load the presently-latest subrelease within whatever version
    the PIX has installed -- e.g., if at 6.1 then the currently
    latest 6.1(*). It will, however, not entitle you to upgrade
    to a new release (e.g., from 6.2 to 6.3) [though if you argued well
    you could probably go from 6.1 to 6.2.]

    This isn't a general statement about PIX releases: it's a statement
    about what's true right now, based upon the known security issues.
    For example, until about two weeks ago, if you had 6.3(something)
    then you would have been entitled to go to 6.3(4) but not 6.3(5)
    because 6.3(4) was a security release but 6.3(5) was a bug-fix release
    and it is only the security releases that the conditions apply to.
    But within the last 2 weeks there's been another security advisory
    so for now the latest of each 6.1+ release is available without a
    support contract.

    Now, that would get you (or rather, your employer) the latest current
    software, but then there is the problem that the software license
    is not transferable.

    In order to have the right to use the software, when you buy the items
    from your employer, you would have to "relicense" the software. The
    part number you would need to relicense would be LL-PIX-501-SW-10 for
    the 10 user license, or -50 for the 50 user. The cost for -10 is
    between $US140 and $US185 depending where you shop.

    If you can get your workplace to "loan" the 501's to you
    with them continuing to own the devices, that would fall within
    the license terms and the above would not apply... but if at
    some point you wanted to get support, it would have to be through
    the official owner.
    Walter Roberson, May 19, 2006