opinion on some books

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Keith Chilton, Apr 15, 2007.

  1. Do you guys think i will pass the tests (290 and 291) for windows 2003
    server based on the books I just bought? I have yet to read them but do you
    know of any areas they will be lacking in to pass those tests?

    Mastering Windows Server 2003 (minassi)
    Windows Server 2003 Inside Out

    --
    Keith Chilton - MCDST, MCP
    Data Services Technician

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
    and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
    my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
    representative independent of this message.
    Keith Chilton, Apr 15, 2007

  2. Keith Chilton

    AJR Guest

    Consider Windows Server 2003. Administrator's Pocket Consultant by William
    R. Stanek. It is not a study guide as such, however, in my opinio, it
    provides all you need to know.

    AJR, Apr 15, 2007

  3. Keith Chilton

    catwalker63 Guest

    Keith Chilton piffled away vaguely:

    > Do you guys think i will pass the tests (290 and 291) for windows 2003
    > server based on the books I just bought? I have yet to read them but do you
    > know of any areas they will be lacking in to pass those tests?
    >
    > Mastering Windows Server 2003 (minassi)
    > Windows Server 2003 Inside Out

    No. I would get exam prep guides for each exam. The above are good
    reference and Minassi's book is a very enjoyable read. He'll give it to
    you straight how to use the product in the real world. The exams are
    not real-world, however, so you will need materials that cover the exam
    objectives for the exams. This will be especially critical for 70-291,
    AKA alphabet soup, or The Beast.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, Apr 15, 2007
  4. What do you mean by exam prep guides (specifically who are the authors of
    such guides)? I am trying to avoid buying the MS press books. What do you
    think is the best book for The Beast? I am going to probably have to buy
    more books. Maybe I should ask this again after I have read what I have.
    Then I can decide what isn't covered in the books I need to learn more
    about.

    Thanks for the help
    Keith Chilton, Apr 15, 2007
  5. "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in message

    > Do you guys think i will pass the tests (290 and 291) for windows 2003
    > server based on the books I just bought?

    <snipped>

    Unfortunately no, I do not think you will pass with those books. Keith,
    remember this is a whole other world dealing with the server side of
    things. There is a lot to consider and absorb with the 291 exam. You
    need to practice on a Windows 2003 Server. There are tons of options out
    there for you, but I recommend Virtual PC 2007 with a evaluation copy of
    Windows 2003 Enterprise Server that you can get from any MS Press MCSE
    book. Understanding the services with Windows 2003 Server is a *MUST* in
    order to negotiate this exam.

    Think about this; you are the man at your job. You *NEED* to know this
    technology and how to fix it fast *WHEN* it breaks. Having worked on it
    in a lab situation, you will be more familiar with the interface and how
    things work.

    Just my humble opinions! :)

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com
    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 15, 2007
  6. I'm thinking I could pass the 290 without buying the press book and lots of
    getting familiar with everything on it while I'm at work working on it. We
    just got a new one. But I probably will not pass the 291 without having it
    available for me to mess around with it on my PC at home. Thank you for the
    help guys

    FYI, I did make the 2003 server a domain controller and DHCP server on
    Friday. Pretty soon i'll set up DNS server on it. None of these are that
    difficult in my opinion to do. But I definitely dont know all the details I
    need to know.

    Keith Chilton, Apr 15, 2007
  7. Keith Chilton

    John R Guest

    > I'm thinking I could pass the 290 without buying the press book and lots
    > of getting familiar with everything on it while I'm at work working on it.
    > We just got a new one. But I probably will not pass the 291 without having
    > it available for me to mess around with it on my PC at home. Thank you for
    > the help guys
    >
    > FYI, I did make the 2003 server a domain controller and DHCP server on
    > Friday. Pretty soon i'll set up DNS server on it. None of these are that
    > difficult in my opinion to do. But I definitely dont know all the details
    > I need to know.

    >> "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Do you guys think i will pass the tests (290 and 291) for windows 2003
    >>> server based on the books I just bought?

    >> <snipped>
    >>
    >> Unfortunately no, I do not think you will pass with those books. Keith,
    >> remember this is a whole other world dealing with the server side of
    >> things. There is a lot to consider and absorb with the 291 exam. You need
    >> to practice on a Windows 2003 Server. There are tons of options out there
    >> for you, but I recommend Virtual PC 2007 with a evaluation copy of
    >> Windows 2003 Enterprise Server that you can get from any MS Press MCSE
    >> book. Understanding the services with Windows 2003 Server is a *MUST* in
    >> order to negotiate this exam.
    >>
    >> Think about this; you are the man at your job. You *NEED* to know this
    >> technology and how to fix it fast *WHEN* it breaks. Having worked on it
    >> in a lab situation, you will be more familiar with the interface and how
    >> things work.
    >>
    >> Just my humble opinions! :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    >> The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    >> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

    I have to agree with Micheal here. I bought the MS Press set of 4 for the
    MCSE core exams 290, 291, 293, and 294. I found them *very* helpful. No
    single training source is going to cover 100 % of any exam, but these books
    are well written, and for what they cover, they cover well. I also used the
    TestOut videos and lots of OJT, but I don't think I would have passed any of
    those tests without the MS Press books. What I like most about them is that
    they include labs, and of course the sample objectives tests and sample
    practice tests. As Michael pointed out, they include an eval copy of Server
    2003 as well (although you can download that I think). They are also great
    reference books for when my CRS acts up (Can't Remember Stuff).

    Check into buying books at Amazon.Com or Quantumbooks.com for the best
    prices.

    Good Luck,

    John
    John R, Apr 15, 2007
  8. Keith Chilton

    John R Guest

    "John R" <> wrote in message

    > I have to agree with Micheal here. I bought the MS Press set of 4 for the

    Sorry Michael, that was simply a typo, not a freudian slip :)
    John R, Apr 15, 2007
  9. "John R" <> wrote in message

    > "John R" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I have to agree with Micheal here. I bought the MS Press set of 4 for the

    > Sorry Michael, that was simply a typo, not a freudian slip :)

    Actually it is spelled both ways! :)

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 15, 2007
  10. Keith Chilton

    Mondonj Guest

    MS Pressbooks are critical to pass the exams. They guide you step by step
    with nice lab scenarios for you try. I highly recommend buying the complete
    kit as you usually get a discount code for the exams as well.

    Mondonj, Apr 16, 2007