    experience of the 971p?
    Any other recommendation in it's price class?

    Cheers and THX!

    Bernard, Oct 20, 2006

  2. Bernard

    SJ Guest

    Got a new Viewsonic va902b last month, it's great! Don't know the exact
    specs on the Samsung.
    "Bernard" <> wrote in message
    Hi,

    thinking of buying a new 19inch monitor... Wonder if anyone has hands on

    SJ, Oct 20, 2006

  3. Bernard

    Guest

    SJ wrote:
    > Got a new Viewsonic va902b last month, it's great! Don't know the exact
    > specs on the Samsung.
    > "Bernard" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > thinking of buying a new 19inch monitor... Wonder if anyone has hands on
    > experience of the 971p?
    > Any other recommendation in it's price class?
    >
    > Cheers and THX!

    Hi,
    bought a 971p last night. So far I have mixed feelings. I love the
    physical packaging....wanted an LCD that had height and tilt
    adjustment..the screen rotation is a nice feature for document work.
    The picture (to my view/taste) is excellent. My immediate experience
    upon connecting the monitor to my system (eVGA 7600GT video card) via
    the DVI was excellent....the magictune button on the lower left of the
    stand cycled thru the various presettings as I saw in the store.
    However, then I installed the Samsung SW (driver and auto-rotation sw).
    At some point (not exactly sure of the sequence of events), the display
    no longer cycled thru the presets when pressing the button on the lower
    left of the stand. Spent over an hour on the phone today with Samsung
    support (very friendly, helpful folks in my calls)....but we couldn't
    get the magictune presets to work again. Turns out the nVidia 7600GT
    is not on the magictune SW campatibility list. I can adjust pretty much
    all of the setable attributes via the nVidia SW, but it would be nice
    to have the magic tune button work as well.

    Moral of the story (so far) is if you have a 7600GT, don't insatll the
    Samsung magictune and autorotation applications - just use the nVidia
    utility. Hope this helps.

    , Nov 15, 2006
  4. Bernard

    Guest

    wrote:
    > SJ wrote:
    > > Got a new Viewsonic va902b last month, it's great! Don't know the exact
    > > specs on the Samsung.
    > > "Bernard" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > thinking of buying a new 19inch monitor... Wonder if anyone has hands on
    > > experience of the 971p?
    > > Any other recommendation in it's price class?
    > >
    > > Cheers and THX!

    > Hi,
    > bought a 971p last night. So far I have mixed feelings. I love the
    > physical packaging....wanted an LCD that had height and tilt
    > adjustment..the screen rotation is a nice feature for document work.
    > The picture (to my view/taste) is excellent. My immediate experience
    > upon connecting the monitor to my system (eVGA 7600GT video card) via
    > the DVI was excellent....the magictune button on the lower left of the
    > stand cycled thru the various presettings as I saw in the store.
    > However, then I installed the Samsung SW (driver and auto-rotation sw).
    > At some point (not exactly sure of the sequence of events), the display
    > no longer cycled thru the presets when pressing the button on the lower
    > left of the stand. Spent over an hour on the phone today with Samsung
    > support (very friendly, helpful folks in my calls)....but we couldn't
    > get the magictune presets to work again. Turns out the nVidia 7600GT
    > is not on the magictune SW campatibility list. I can adjust pretty much
    > all of the setable attributes via the nVidia SW, but it would be nice
    > to have the magic tune button work as well.
    >
    > Moral of the story (so far) is if you have a 7600GT, don't insatll the
    > Samsung magictune and autorotation applications - just use the nVidia
    > utility. Hope this helps.

    This is an update to my previous post above. It turns out that the
    Samsung AutoRotation application on the Smasung driver cd (or
    AutoRotationPremium) from the Samsung download site both contain
    MagicTune. However, something about either variant of the AutoRotation
    application is not compatible with my eVGA 7600GT card (or nVidia SW)
    and it completly trashes the display locking it at 800 x600
    resolution.I found I could get back to the correct operation by
    uninstalling the AutoRotation app, and downloading/installing just the
    MagicTunePremium application from the Samsung support site, and once in
    the MagicTune application Option -> Preferences -> Custom Key, set the
    MagicTune button on the stand to one of five different functions of
    which the graduated brightness presets (MagicBright) was the one I
    wanted. So at this point, I am very satisfied with the 971P and willing
    to use the nVidia utilty to manually handle the screen rotation on
    those limited occasions when I will use that feature.

    , Nov 15, 2006