    out there for the same price. The other camera I was considering was olympus
    c-740.

    Thanks. I would appreciate your response.
    Mamata Singh, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Mamata Singh

    Matti Vuori Guest

    "Mamata Singh" <> wrote in
    news:cadpjs$ah2$-state.edu:
    > I am planning to buy olympus c-4000. Any opinions? Is there a better
    > camera out there for the same price.

    Depends on the price... It is a very nice camera, but already a little
    old. As the owners of 4000's are upgrading their cameras, you could
    probably find a used one for a very low price.

    > The other camera I was considering was olympus c-740.

    You should decide what you want from the camera. These two are very
    different: one of the best features of the 4000 is its quite wide angle
    lens, whereas the 740 is great for its telezoom. At least the 4000 is
    slow to start up and shoot, so if you want speedy snapping, look for
    latest models from other brands.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>
    Matti Vuori, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Mamata Singh

    Jeff Durham Guest

    If you have not already, go to http://www.dpreview.com to check out side by
    side comparisons of different cameras. It is a great source of information.
    I happened to be in Costco last evening and saw the C-4000 for sale. I
    cannot remember the price, but for the feature set, it seemed like a good
    deal. If I was looking for an inexpensive point and shoot digital camera, I
    would have definitely considered purchasing that one. I think it was around
    $250, but I cannot remember for certain. I tried just looking on their
    website, but could not find the camera listed. Maybe Costco is closing out
    sales on this camera. That camera was introduced 2 years ago.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jun 12, 2004
  4. I too have the C4000 and feel that it is one of the best and smartest
    purchases I've made all year. No, wait, the best and smartest purchase hands
    down. Fantastic little camera. Especially for $250! Better picture quality
    and shot to shot consistency than anything I tried in the $500 range.

    Try here for comparisons also:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CDISPLAY.HTM

    The C4000 is definitely marked for closeout at Costco. I had to wait an hour
    to get my display model picked up and ready to take to the checkout counter.
    That's what the manager informed me of anyways, its discontinued status.

    Ty

    Tyrone Jackson, Jun 12, 2004
  5. Mamata Singh

    Bob Huckleby Guest

    Mamata Singh wrote:

    > I am planning to buy olympus c-4000. Any opinions? Is there a better
    > camera out there for the same price. The other camera I was
    > considering was olympus c-740.
    >
    > Thanks. I would appreciate your response.

    I just got my C-4000 last week and love it! If you're not too troubled by
    ebay, Olympus has an ebay store. Mostly for refurbished products. I felt
    pretty good about buying a refurb right from the manufacturer. Some of the
    C-4000 auctions sell for under $200.

    I got a great deal on my C-4000 and it was in mint condition. I also
    received it in less than 48 hours.

    If you get one, grab some Viking 128MB Smartmedia cards as there's a $15
    rebate. Try Amazon or Buy.com.
    Bob Huckleby, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Mamata Singh

    Drifter Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:34:31 -0400, "Mamata Singh" <>
    wrote:

    >I am planning to buy olympus c-4000. Any opinions? Is there a better camera
    >out there for the same price. The other camera I was considering was olympus
    >c-740.
    >
    >Thanks. I would appreciate your response.

    I bought a C4000 when they first came out (ummm, $600 or so). Even
    though I now have a Canon 10D there are still times I take the Olympus
    out with me (especially if I need a lighter kit). It's a little
    dated, it's annoyingly slow to start up, it takes quite a while to go
    from shot to shot....BUT.... it has killer glass on it and it still
    takes such lovely pictures that I enjoy using it even now.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Jun 14, 2004