    completely about digital imaging). Any suggestions/opinions? Thanks.
    (PS I also posted this in alt.photography so please don't suggest that I
    should have posted this elsewhere.)
    Steven Wandy, Jun 22, 2004

  2. "Steven Wandy" <> wrote in message
    news:g4%Bc.218874$...
    > I have been interested in photography (primarily as a hobby) for about 35
    > years or so. Switched to digital about 6 or 7 years ago and currently
    > subscribe to PC Photo. Am looking to also subscribe to what would be
    > considered a general, all-around photography magazine (PC Photo is
    > completely about digital imaging). Any suggestions/opinions? Thanks.
    > (PS I also posted this in alt.photography so please don't suggest that I
    > should have posted this elsewhere.)

    Try Pop Photo and Outdoor Photo. I also like Digital Photo Pro.
    this old user, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Steven Wandy

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Photography magazines are cheap and they come out once every month or two.
    Buy a couple and see what YOU like rather than what I like, or He likes or
    She likes or They like or No one likes. It's not like a major investment.
    I've found the best source for how to information about photography comes
    in books where they don't have to repeat the basics for those who weren't
    subscribing last month. Take a few out of the library and you'll be doing
    better than any magazine I've ever seen - That's right if you really want to
    know which photography magazine I like it is -- they are all a waste of the
    time it takes to read them.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jun 22, 2004
  4. Tony Spadaro wrote:

    > Photography magazines are cheap and they come out once every month or two.
    > Buy a couple and see what YOU like rather than what I like, or He likes or
    > She likes or They like or No one likes. It's not like a major investment.
    > I've found the best source for how to information about photography comes
    > in books where they don't have to repeat the basics for those who weren't
    > subscribing last month. Take a few out of the library and you'll be doing
    > better than any magazine I've ever seen - That's right if you really want to
    > know which photography magazine I like it is -- they are all a waste of the
    > time it takes to read them.

    Hmm. I've been publishing magazines for 16 years now, and we have a
    basic rule - we never repeat a feature. If we did a bag guide in 1996,
    we never do a bag guide again. If you ain't been with us since 1988, you
    don't know what the hell the current issue is talking about! We even
    refer to issues ten years ago when discussing products with our readers.
    Leaves the new ones confused, but gives them a sense of history...

    It's very hard work not doing the annual repetition of stuff which the
    am-pro mags do. We do not publish a 'features schedule' so none of the
    ad agencies have the faintest idea what we are going to be writing
    about. We say 'how the hell should I know?' I don't know who will be
    sending me brilliant pictures NEXT month, or what new products will
    arrive six months from now. I just gather material, and a week before
    the printers need the pages, I WORK LIKE HELL creating a mix which looks
    interesting and uses all the latest stuff I can.

    This is why no publisher will ever employ me and I have to own my own
    magazines instead :)

    David, Scotland
    David Kilpatrick, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Hi David,

    > This is why no publisher will ever employ me and I have to own my own
    > magazines instead :)

    ;-))

    Do you have a web-site for your magazines?

    Natalia Blomeier
    Two Pilots
    http://www.colorpilot.com
    [Software for natural color correction]
    Natalia Blomeier, Jun 23, 2004
  6. Natalia Blomeier wrote:

    > Hi David,
    >

    >>This is why no publisher will ever employ me and I have to own my own
    >>magazines instead :)

    > ;-))
    >
    > Do you have a web-site for your magazines?

    There's not a lot there apart from a sub page (Paypal) and some
    downloadable sample articles from previous issues -

    http://www.freelancephotographer.co.uk/

    we are working right now on a new fully-featured site

    http://www.f2photo.co.uk/

    for the new f2 magazine which, with luck, will be my final gearshift in
    the last 15 years of producing what started as PhotoPro.

    No connection with Patch Publications' PhotoPro, Bob Shell just happened
    to have me editing one of his English-published camera manuals in 1990
    and we made the mistake of passing him some copies of our PhotoPro (a
    quarterly at that time). By pure coincidence his colleagues at Patch
    produced a US equivalent under the same name very shortly afterwards...

    Our title changed name to Photon in 1996 and went monthly. In 1999 we
    sold the Photon website to Photoshot.com, and relaunched as Freelance
    Photographer (though we never sold the magazine name). This month we
    relaunch as f2 magazine - technically, "f2 Freelance+Digital" is the
    full title in the ISSN records.

    The essence of these mags has always been that I make magazines for
    people like me - my job is to make the magazine which I would want to
    buy myself. That means my target reader is either an enthusiast and very
    proficient non-pro, or a solo professional working outside
    employment/staff structures and sharing the mindset of the creative
    amateur - or someone in between, part-time, or on the ladder to going
    freelance full time. We don't tend to deal with high value equipment
    (labs, big studio, 22 megapixel backs etc) or with consumer products.
    And we do *not* concentrate on sports and news or celebrity pic
    shooting, or on city concerns. We have always been provincial, country
    based, and more into the art, craft, science and history of photography.

    Actually, our content is very much like Swedish, French, Greek, Spanish
    etc photo magazines and not a bit like British ones. I don't know how it
    compares with US mags today but we are quite like they used to be around
    1970.

    David
    David Kilpatrick, Jun 23, 2004
  7. Natalia Blomeier, Jun 24, 2004
  8. Steven Wandy

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:15:58 +0000 (UTC), David Kilpatrick
    <> wrote:

    []

    >we are working right now on a new fully-featured site
    >
    >http://www.f2photo.co.uk/
    >
    >for the new f2 magazine which

    David
    May I suggest that you put up a temporary holding page in place of the
    one provided by your web hosing co...

    If you do, please try to avoid "Under construction" etc.. That infers
    to the visitor "It aint done yet, I'm busy, bugger off and come back
    later..."

    May be a nice logo with text similar to:

    "Coming shortly, a new and exciting digital photo magazine dedicated
    to.... etc"

    (Only a suggestion...)

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Jun 24, 2004
  9. Donald Gray wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:15:58 +0000 (UTC), David Kilpatrick
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > []
    >
    >>we are working right now on a new fully-featured site
    >>
    >>http://www.f2photo.co.uk/
    >>
    >>for the new f2 magazine which

    > David
    > May I suggest that you put up a temporary holding page in place of the
    > one provided by your web hosing co...
    >
    > If you do, please try to avoid "Under construction" etc.. That infers
    > to the visitor "It aint done yet, I'm busy, bugger off and come back
    > later..."
    >
    > May be a nice logo with text similar to:
    >
    > "Coming shortly, a new and exciting digital photo magazine dedicated
    > to.... etc"

    It seems the server we are using lost its hard disk yesterday, and might
    appear not to have RAID or backups - and we were in the middle of
    building it.

    Pooh.

    David
    David Kilpatrick, Jun 24, 2004
  10. Natalia Blomeier, Jun 25, 2004
  11. Steven Wandy

    Donald Gray Guest

    On 25 Jun 2004 01:30:23 -0700, (Natalia
    Blomeier) wrote:

    >Looks like the logo at http://www.f2photo.co.uk/ has some dark pixels...
    >
    >Just need to criticize someone ;-)
    >
    >Natalia

    Thanks for that Natalia - I thought it was muck on my monitor - I've
    been trying it for that last 10 minutes....

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Jun 25, 2004
  12. Natalia Blomeier wrote:

    > Looks like the logo at http://www.f2photo.co.uk/ has some dark pixels...
    >
    > Just need to criticize someone ;-)

    That was dust on the computer monitor when it was born.

    Actually it's a crunched up logo, the real magazine logo has a much
    longer f, but we couldn't find a neat way to use it properly on the
    website. I will tell Richard to clean off the wee spots!

    The server seems to be back in operation, but all the pdf archived
    articles which were uploaded to the DOWNLOADS section are no longer
    there, so try again in a while. I'll ask Richard to get them in place.

    The registration systems works OK anyway, I can can still get in with my
    own name and password set up during the development. Long way to go
    before it is a useful website though.

    David
    David Kilpatrick, Jun 25, 2004
  13. Steven Wandy

    John McGraw Guest

    David Kilpatrick <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Natalia Blomeier wrote:
    >
    > > Looks like the logo at http://www.f2photo.co.uk/ has some dark pixels...
    > >
    > > Just need to criticize someone ;-)
    > >

    > That was dust on the computer monitor when it was born.
    >
    > Actually it's a crunched up logo, the real magazine logo has a much
    > longer f, but we couldn't find a neat way to use it properly on the
    > website. I will tell Richard to clean off the wee spots!
    >
    > The server seems to be back in operation, but all the pdf archived
    > articles which were uploaded to the DOWNLOADS section are no longer
    > there, so try again in a while. I'll ask Richard to get them in place.

    > The registration systems works OK anyway, I can can still get in with my
    > own name and password set up during the development. Long way to go
    > before it is a useful website though.
    >
    > David

    Hello David
    I look forward to viewing your on line mag. I have to agree w/ above
    poster who said he quit reading mags, just books. I've noticed a
    serious dummying down of all mags, not just photo, in the last 5 to 10
    yrs here in the good ol' US. It's amazing how little real content;
    magazines of various technical disciplines have anymore. I suppose
    lead by the same thinking that supports the Bush. I'm embarrassed to
    be a US citizen 'cuse the bastard enjoys a majority support. When I go
    abroad next, it'll be w/ lotsa red maple leaves. eh? I digress, back
    to mags. The thing I really like about magazines is their perfect size
    & weight. I've been trying to read a hard bound 1K page computer book
    that weights ~ 10lb. I'm seriously considering cutting it down to
    chapter size bites & rebinding it w/ soft covers & ACCO screws.

    Good Luck John
    John McGraw, Jun 26, 2004