    take the A+ exam. I have no experience with the program and was
    wondering if anyone in the group is familiar with the program and can
    post your comments.

    Bryan, Dec 23, 2004

  2. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > No, it's not A+ preparation, it's Cisco CCNA preparation (A+ preparation
    > is sometimes taught concurrently in the same course, but that's on the
    > initiative of the instructor).
    >
    > The meat of this program is very vendor specific to Cisco router products.
    > Also, it's a 4-year long program as often taught.

    I took it in 2 years at my high school, but I never wound up taking the
    CCNA. It doesn't really fit with what I want to do anyway. 4 years
    preparing for the CCNA seems like a bit much though, especially when you can
    get a college degree that will never expire in the same amount of time. I
    could probably understand 4 years for a CCIE or whatever the top one is
    called though.

    Patrick Michael, Dec 23, 2004

  3. Bryan

    Nigel Guest

    Hi,
    I took the Cisco IT Essentials I course last year. It was said to map fairly
    closely to the A+. It wasn't to bad a course, the book at the time was full
    of errors, but the online course information was generally fairly good. I
    only bought the book because I need the convenience of being able to look at
    the course work where ever I was. The questions in the exam are all direct
    and fairly easy, where as quite a lot of the test questions for A+ are
    scenario based. In fact if you learn the answers to the end of chapter
    tests, then you'll know most of the answers for the end of course test. I
    scored 97.5% (one wrong), where as for the A+ I only just passed both exams.

    As for the reply from Barry Watzman we never touched on Cisco equipment in
    the whole course, whether that was because the college I was taught at knew
    that we were only there to then take the A+ I don't know, but I don't even
    remember the book mentioning Cisco routers or any other Cisco equipment.

    Hope that's of some help,
    Regards,
    Nigel.

    Nigel, Dec 23, 2004