    CompTIA Network+ exam be helpful? Or, is there another certification or
    training program that would allow me to get my feet wet from home???

    Thanks very much for any and all replies! :)

    Buddy Boy, May 2, 2007

  2. Buddy Boy

    JohnO Guest

    On May 2, 2:20 pm, "Buddy Boy" <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was recently laid off and I now have some time to work on a
    > certification(s). My last job involved PC support, software support, Crystal
    > Reports development and some basic network admin tasks (ie configuration of
    > customer firewalls,etc). I would like to take some time and learn the
    > network/systems side better. I have worked with computers for 10 years, but
    > have never had the chance work with network hardware (ie cabling, routers,
    > switches, firewalls) and do network admin. Would studying for and taking the
    > CompTIA Network+ exam be helpful? Or, is there another certification or
    > training program that would allow me to get my feet wet from home???
    >
    > Thanks very much for any and all replies! :)

    Studying for Net+ is probably a good start. Keep in mind that it's
    more about what those things are than how to actually implement and
    use them. Being a vendor-neutral cert, they have to focus on generic
    subjects rather than how to configure a particulaar firewall or
    router. But that's not a bad thing...

    -John O

    JohnO, May 3, 2007

  3. Buddy Boy

    Buddy Boy Guest

    Thanks for the reply JohnO! Anyone else have any thoughts?

    Also, is there a Microsoft exam that is similar to the CompTIA Network+
    exam? I think there was a Network Essentials exam a while back?

    And last but not least, what is the best exam guide for the CompTIA Network+
    exam? I hear the Mike Myers book is good?

    Buddy Boy, May 3, 2007
  4. Buddy Boy wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply JohnO! Anyone else have any thoughts?
    >
    > Also, is there a Microsoft exam that is similar to the CompTIA Network+
    > exam? I think there was a Network Essentials exam a while back?

    The Networking Essentials exam is long retired. But Microsoft will
    accept the combination of A+ & Net+ or A+ and Server+ as partial credit
    towards the MCSA certification. More details at the Microsoft Training site.

    > And last but not least, what is the best exam guide for the CompTIA Network+
    > exam? I hear the Mike Myers book is good?

    I teach A+ and Net+ and have been using the Sybex Network+ Study Guide
    by David Groth, et. al. for the last few years. It is an excellent study
    guide. It provides adequate treatment of all the exam objectives without
    going overboard on unnecessary detail. There is a "deluxe" edition which
    also includes a network simulator program that lets you setup sample
    networks on your PC and see what happens. We use that book as I find it
    to be an excellent "value add" to the training class. Both editions
    include the text on a CD/ROM and exam practice simulations.

    Just my $0.02.

    John
    --
    John Dearing