    will still get glare. He suggested using a light box with a polarized
    filter to reduce the glare.

    Has anyone tried this or have any suggestions?
    jeff, May 26, 2005

  2. jeff wrote:
    > I need to take pictures of a photo album that has the usual plastic
    > around the pages. I cannot remove the page due to this might ruin
    > the pictures.
    >
    > My dilemma is that I have tried taking pictures of the page, but I
    > get bad glare when using flash and when not using flash I lose
    > details and accurate color.
    >
    > I thought about building a light box, but a professional photo guy
    > told me I will still get glare. He suggested using a light box with
    > a polarized filter to reduce the glare.
    >
    > Has anyone tried this or have any suggestions?

    Have you tried a flat-bed scanner? I don't know how it might handle the
    plastic, though.

    David
    David J Taylor, May 26, 2005

  3. jeff

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 07:47:26 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "jeff"
    <> wrote:

    >I need to take pictures of a photo album that has the usual plastic around
    >the pages. I cannot remove the page due to this might ruin the pictures.
    >
    >My dilemma is that I have tried taking pictures of the page, but I get bad
    >glare when using flash and when not using flash I lose details and accurate
    >color.
    >
    >I thought about building a light box, but a professional photo guy told me I
    >will still get glare. He suggested using a light box with a polarized
    >filter to reduce the glare.
    >
    >Has anyone tried this or have any suggestions?

    A polarizing filter properly oriented should cut the glare.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf, May 26, 2005
    : <> wrote:

    : >My dilemma is that I have tried taking pictures of the page, but I get
    : >bad glare when using flash and when not using flash I lose details and
    : >accurate color.

    : A polarizing filter properly oriented should cut the glare.

    Another suggestion is to use an off camera flash. If the flash is at a
    wider angle (in the area of 45 deg to the surface of the plastic sheet)
    the flash will not be bouncing right back into the camera but off in
    another direction. If you think of this glare as similar to red eye many
    of the same solutions will help. So using a pola filter or moving the
    flash, or both may give you the photos you desire.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, May 26, 2005
  5. jeff

    David Chien Guest

    Re: opinion needed - pictures of photo album page - how do I reduceglare

    The standard way of copying the photos is to put it flat down, have two
    bulbs lighting it at 45 degree angles off the center from both sides,
    polarizer as needed. The angled lighting evenly lights the photos, and
    prevents glare from bouncing back into the camera. Polarizer helps
    reduce anything else.
    David Chien, May 26, 2005
  6. jeff

    Frank ess Guest

    David Chien wrote:
    > The standard way of copying the photos is to put it flat down, have
    > two bulbs lighting it at 45 degree angles off the center from both
    > sides, polarizer as needed. The angled lighting evenly lights the
    > photos, and prevents glare from bouncing back into the camera.
    > Polarizer helps reduce anything else.

    I did a (old-fashioned paper and tape) scrapbook two ways: 8.5" x
    11.7" scanner and 20D/Tamron 90mm photography. The scanner (overkill @
    300ppi) produced perfect images of what fit on the bed. I've yet to
    snuggle up to the stitch-needy ones, mostly newspaper reports of auto
    races, but the beginning and end ones look like this:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/1E1C1FE9BEDB1B9

    The photographs were made under a big light tent - a fabric-topped
    "gazebo" outside my back door. Full sun on the roof yielded even,
    consistent beige lighting on the music-stand style stage; AWB loved
    the warm look, but I did a custom white balance for the record shots,
    only two of which were of plastic-covered items. The simple solution
    was to tilt the platform so the reflections (minor - the lens
    to-subject distance at the subject's big-album size was on the order
    of five-and-a-half feet) didn't obscure content. I'll un-keystone
    those in Photo Shop.

    Eventually I will make a Web page with thumbnails from the photos
    linked to moderate-size images of either the photo'd pages or large,
    legible images from the scans, when actual content access is
    imperative.

    --
    Frank S

    "Verbing wierds language."
    -Calvin
    Frank ess, May 26, 2005
  7. jeff

    Marvin Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > jeff wrote:
    >
    >>I need to take pictures of a photo album that has the usual plastic
    >>around the pages. I cannot remove the page due to this might ruin
    >>the pictures.
    >>
    >>My dilemma is that I have tried taking pictures of the page, but I
    >>get bad glare when using flash and when not using flash I lose
    >>details and accurate color.
    >>
    >>I thought about building a light box, but a professional photo guy
    >>told me I will still get glare. He suggested using a light box with
    >>a polarized filter to reduce the glare.
    >>
    >>Has anyone tried this or have any suggestions?

    > Have you tried a flat-bed scanner? I don't know how it might handle the
    > plastic, though.
    >
    > David

    In a situation like Jeff described, I've scanned photos in an album through a plastic
    cover sheet. It worked well, and I have an inexpensive scanner. The hardest part is
    holding the album in position when it projects outside the scanner. Getting the pages
    flat is also important.
    Marvin, May 26, 2005