Opinion About Total Recall Study Guides

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by JesseTX, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. JesseTX

    JesseTX Guest

    I am preparing to take my A+ certification tests in a few weeks. I
    have already studied Mike Meyers All in One A+ Certification Exam
    Guide. It seems like an excellent book for preparation.

    I purchased two vouchers from Total Recall, and they come packaged
    with their own exam guides. I have gone through all the practice
    exams that come on the CD with the Mike Meyers book. Looking for more
    test questions, I am now going through the ones that come with the
    Total Recall guides.

    I am finding a lot of questions that seem faulty, and others that are
    very poorly written. Here are some examples:

    "You need to configure your hard drive. Which command can you use to
    create the boot record to make it bootable (chose all that apply)?

    A. Fdisk
    B. Boot/r
    C. Format S/E/V
    D. Sys
    E. Copy/f"

    My answer would be A. According to the guide, the correct answer is C
    & D. What??? I can't even find reference to an "E" switch for the
    format command. I know the "sys" command or "format" with the "s"
    switch will transfer the system files to a disk, but does that create
    the "boot record"? I assume the question refers to the master book
    record, which is created by fdisk.

    "You are setting up a networked Windows 9X PC with files and print
    sharing enabled. Your computer can be seen in Network Neighborhood,
    but no one can connect to your resources. What is the cause?

    A. You have not shared any directories.
    B. Shared directories are password protected.
    C. Other computers are using the ROM protocol.
    D. Other computers do not have file and print sharing enabled.
    E. The network computers have incompatible hard drives."

    My answer would be A. According to the guide the correct answer is D.
    This didn't seem right to me. I know if you don't have file and print
    sharing enabled, then no one can see YOU in Network Neighborhood. But
    if THEY don't have file and print sharing enbaled, they can still see
    YOU. To prove my theory I did it with two computers on my home
    network. When I turned off file and print sharing on one, it was
    still able to see other computers on the network AND access their
    resources.

    "After installing Windows 98 on your computer, you discover that you
    are unable to browse the network. You confirm that Client for
    Microsoft Windows is installed. What should you check next?

    A. Enable file and print sharing.
    B. Verify the workstation's IP address.
    C. Enable Browsing Services in the control panel.
    D. Enable NetBIOS support.
    E. Ping the server"

    My answer would be E. This would verify that your NIC card and the
    cables to the server are good anyway. The guide says A is the correct
    answer. Again, what the heck does file and print sharing have to do
    with being able to browse the network in this case?

    Here is an example of one of the poorly worded questions they give:

    "You need to perform a typical installation of a peripheral. You need
    to remove the blanking plate of the slot. Which of the following
    should have been done before this step (choose all that apply)?

    A. Power off the PC
    B. Remove the main power cord
    C. Take ESD precautions
    D. Remove the system case cover
    E. Locate the appropriate slot"

    My answer would be all BUT remove the main power cord. The guide
    answer is all (A - E). I understand the answer, but if B had said
    UNPLUG the main power cord, I would chose that also. When it says
    REMOVE the main power cord, I read it to mean remove it from the PC.
    Again, logic dictates that with all the other steps, of course you
    would unplug the power cord, but to me REMOVE is a poor choice of a
    word to use.

    I haven't actually read the Total Recall study guides. I had planned
    to read certain areas of them after taking all practice exams I could
    find, to brush up on any weak areas. But after starting on the tests,
    and seeing the quality of them, I'm not sure I want to read the
    guides. If the quality of the tests are any indication of the quality
    of the guides, then it may hurt more than help to read them.

    Anyway, just wanted to make this post to let anyone considering using
    the Total Recall study guides know of the problems I have found with
    their material.

    JesseTX, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Answers inline

    >"You need to configure your hard drive. Which command can you use to
    > create the boot record to make it bootable (chose all that apply)?
    >
    > A. Fdisk
    > B. Boot/r
    > C. Format S/E/V
    > D. Sys
    > E. Copy/f"
    >
    > My answer would be A. According to the guide, the correct answer is C
    > & D. What??? I can't even find reference to an "E" switch for the
    > format command. I know the "sys" command or "format" with the "s"
    > switch will transfer the system files to a disk, but does that create
    > the "boot record"? I assume the question refers to the master book
    > record, which is created by fdisk.

    you are wrong on this one, fdisk will not make the hard drive bootable.

    > "You are setting up a networked Windows 9X PC with files and print
    > sharing enabled. Your computer can be seen in Network Neighborhood,
    > but no one can connect to your resources. What is the cause?
    >
    > A. You have not shared any directories.
    > B. Shared directories are password protected.
    > C. Other computers are using the ROM protocol.
    > D. Other computers do not have file and print sharing enabled.
    > E. The network computers have incompatible hard drives."
    >
    > My answer would be A. According to the guide the correct answer is D.
    > This didn't seem right to me. I know if you don't have file and print
    > sharing enabled, then no one can see YOU in Network Neighborhood. But
    > if THEY don't have file and print sharing enbaled, they can still see
    > YOU. To prove my theory I did it with two computers on my home
    > network. When I turned off file and print sharing on one, it was
    > still able to see other computers on the network AND access their
    > resources.

    My answer would be none of the above, however D would be more right than
    some of the others.

    > "After installing Windows 98 on your computer, you discover that you
    > are unable to browse the network. You confirm that Client for
    > Microsoft Windows is installed. What should you check next?
    >
    > A. Enable file and print sharing.
    > B. Verify the workstation's IP address.
    > C. Enable Browsing Services in the control panel.
    > D. Enable NetBIOS support.
    > E. Ping the server"
    >
    > My answer would be E. This would verify that your NIC card and the
    > cables to the server are good anyway. The guide says A is the correct
    > answer. Again, what the heck does file and print sharing have to do
    > with being able to browse the network in this case?

    Actually, the first thing I would do is B. Always check the easiest stuff
    first.

    > "You need to perform a typical installation of a peripheral. You need
    > to remove the blanking plate of the slot. Which of the following
    > should have been done before this step (choose all that apply)?
    >
    > A. Power off the PC
    > B. Remove the main power cord
    > C. Take ESD precautions
    > D. Remove the system case cover
    > E. Locate the appropriate slot"
    >
    > My answer would be all BUT remove the main power cord. The guide
    > answer is all (A - E). I understand the answer, but if B had said
    > UNPLUG the main power cord, I would chose that also. When it says
    > REMOVE the main power cord, I read it to mean remove it from the PC.
    > Again, logic dictates that with all the other steps, of course you
    > would unplug the power cord, but to me REMOVE is a poor choice of a
    > word to use.

    Maybe, but to me unplug and remove are the same thing. If you would unplug
    it, why wouldn't you remove it?

    Other than that, I have never used total recall, so I can't really comment
    on that. One thing though, I don't remember the real test having any real
    trick questions on it, so if you can figure them out here, you are probably
    better.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Simon Telrenner, Oct 24, 2003

  3. JesseTX

    JesseTX Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:49:45 -0600, "Simon Telrenner" <>
    wrote:

    >Answers inline
    >
    >>"You need to configure your hard drive. Which command can you use to
    >> create the boot record to make it bootable (chose all that apply)?
    >>
    >> A. Fdisk
    >> B. Boot/r
    >> C. Format S/E/V
    >> D. Sys
    >> E. Copy/f"
    >>
    >> My answer would be A. According to the guide, the correct answer is C
    >> & D. What??? I can't even find reference to an "E" switch for the
    >> format command. I know the "sys" command or "format" with the "s"
    >> switch will transfer the system files to a disk, but does that create
    >> the "boot record"? I assume the question refers to the master book
    >> record, which is created by fdisk.

    >you are wrong on this one, fdisk will not make the hard drive bootable.

    You are right of course. What threw me off with this question was the
    part about creating the boot record. Fdisk does create the Master
    Boot Record. But format creates the Volume Boot Sector. So it is
    still a screwy question. Since you don't know the beginning point for
    the question, newly bought and installed hard drive or one that has
    already been partitioned, So, the most correct answer would be A, C,
    and D. BUT since Fdisk can't make it bootable by ITSELF, I guess
    their logic is that A is not a correct choice. HOWEVER, running sys
    (answer D) by itself would not work if it wasn't formated either.
    Before you can format it, it must be partitioned. So it's a faulty
    question, and I hope I don't see these type on the real test.

    >> "You are setting up a networked Windows 9X PC with files and print
    >> sharing enabled. Your computer can be seen in Network Neighborhood,
    >> but no one can connect to your resources. What is the cause?
    >>
    >> A. You have not shared any directories.
    >> B. Shared directories are password protected.
    >> C. Other computers are using the ROM protocol.
    >> D. Other computers do not have file and print sharing enabled.
    >> E. The network computers have incompatible hard drives."
    >>
    >> My answer would be A. According to the guide the correct answer is D.
    >> This didn't seem right to me. I know if you don't have file and print
    >> sharing enabled, then no one can see YOU in Network Neighborhood. But
    >> if THEY don't have file and print sharing enbaled, they can still see
    >> YOU. To prove my theory I did it with two computers on my home
    >> network. When I turned off file and print sharing on one, it was
    >> still able to see other computers on the network AND access their
    >> resources.
    >>

    >My answer would be none of the above, however D would be more right than
    >some of the others.

    I still don't see the logic in D. Again, I tried this at home and
    having file and print sharing DISABLED on the "client" or "guest"
    computer didn't affect its ability to access resoources on the "host"
    computer that did have file and print sharing enabled.

    >Other than that, I have never used total recall, so I can't really comment
    >on that. One thing though, I don't remember the real test having any real
    >trick questions on it, so if you can figure them out here, you are probably
    >better.

    I hope so :) Thanks for the input Simon.

    JesseTX, Oct 24, 2003
  4. JesseTX

    Jesse Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:49:45 -0600, "Simon Telrenner" <>
    wrote:

    I forgot to comment on this one (see below)

    >> "You need to perform a typical installation of a peripheral. You need
    >> to remove the blanking plate of the slot. Which of the following
    >> should have been done before this step (choose all that apply)?
    >>
    >> A. Power off the PC
    >> B. Remove the main power cord
    >> C. Take ESD precautions
    >> D. Remove the system case cover
    >> E. Locate the appropriate slot"
    >>
    >> My answer would be all BUT remove the main power cord. The guide
    >> answer is all (A - E). I understand the answer, but if B had said
    >> UNPLUG the main power cord, I would chose that also. When it says
    >> REMOVE the main power cord, I read it to mean remove it from the PC.
    >> Again, logic dictates that with all the other steps, of course you
    >> would unplug the power cord, but to me REMOVE is a poor choice of a
    >> word to use.

    >Maybe, but to me unplug and remove are the same thing. If you would unplug
    >it, why wouldn't you remove it?

    OK, can't really argue with that. Logic would dictate that you would
    remove it after you unplug it as it makes the PC easy to work with not
    having to drag the cord around :) I was just thinking there would be
    no NEED to remove it, assuming you unplugged it of course.

    But logic isn't built into the Total Recall questions. Here is a good
    example of another one that shows this:

    "Which precautions must you take when installing a video card with
    on-board memory?

    A. Unplug the PC
    B. Flash the BIOS
    C. Use an ESD strap.
    D. Leave the power on.
    E. Disconnect the monitor."

    I picked A, C and E. Their answer is A & C only. So I'm thinking,
    how the heck are you gonna replace the video card with a cable from
    the monitor plugged into the back of it? But I guess the key word
    here is "PRECAUTIONS". Unplugging the PC (or removing the power cord
    if you wish) and using an ESD wrist strap are precautions.
    Disconnecting the monitor is just something you will have to do to get
    the card out, or at least to connect it to the new card. They use
    these play on words a lot in their tests, I guess it will keep me on
    my toes anyway :)

    Jesse, Oct 24, 2003