    up automatically with Windows '98. Is it possible to swap between operating
    systems, and how do I do it?

    Thank for any advice.
    Rexel, May 20, 2005

  2. Rexel wrote:
    > I have installed Windows XP on a new Hard Drive on my PC, with Windows '98SE
    > left on the existing Hard Drive. The PC asked which OS I would like to use
    > while it was booting up, I prefer to use XP, but now it doesn't, and boots
    > up automatically with Windows '98. Is it possible to swap between operating
    > systems, and how do I do it?
    >
    > Thank for any advice.

    Haven't a clue m'dear!
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?The_Inte=AEnet_Devil?=, May 20, 2005

  3. Rexel

    Bill Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 17:54:56 +0100, "Rexel" <>
    wrote:

    >I have installed Windows XP on a new Hard Drive on my PC, with Windows '98SE
    >left on the existing Hard Drive. The PC asked which OS I would like to use
    >while it was booting up, I prefer to use XP, but now it doesn't, and boots
    >up automatically with Windows '98. Is it possible to swap between operating
    >systems, and how do I do it?
    >
    >Thank for any advice.

    You have w98 installed on one physical HD and XP installed on another
    physical HD, not on two partitions of the same physical HD?

    Check if your bios will allow a choice of which HD to boot from. Often
    this can be done at boot up by pressing F11 or F12.

    On my pc at home, if I press F11 while it's booting, I get a choice of
    booting from floppy, CD, IDE-0, IDE-1 or network.
    Bill, May 20, 2005
  4. Rexel

    dadiOH Guest

    Rexel wrote:
    > I have installed Windows XP on a new Hard Drive on my PC, with
    > Windows '98SE left on the existing Hard Drive. The PC asked which OS
    > I would like to use while it was booting up, I prefer to use XP, but
    > now it doesn't, and boots up automatically with Windows '98. Is it
    > possible to swap between operating systems, and how do I do it?

    You should be able to boot the XP drive simply by moving it to the
    primary IDE channel as a master. IOW, make it C:

    As for booting one or the other as you choose, you may need a boot
    manager. Would in Win98, don't know if XP has any sort of built in one
    or not.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, May 20, 2005
  5. Rexel

    Rexel Guest

    Yes, that's correct. Two HD's...one OS on each HD.

    Thanks.

    Rexel, May 20, 2005
  6. Rexel

    Bill Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 18:46:55 +0100, "Rexel" <>
    wrote:

    >Yes, that's correct. Two HD's...one OS on each HD.
    >

    >Thanks.

    OK. If you had partitioned one drive, installed w98 1st and then XP,
    XP would rewrite the boot.ini to allow a choice at boot up. But,
    that's not what you've got. So, you can try any or all of these in no
    particular order:

    1) Try moving the HD with xp to be primary master and the HD with w98
    to be slave.

    2) Look in BIOS to see if you can change the boot order

    3) Try the F11 or F12 at boot up

    4) Try something like one of these this freeware bootmanagers
    http://btmgr.webframe.org/
    http://gag.sourceforge.net/
    Bill, May 20, 2005
  7. dadiOH wrote:

    > Rexel wrote:
    >
    >>I have installed Windows XP on a new Hard Drive on my PC, with
    >>Windows '98SE left on the existing Hard Drive. The PC asked which OS
    >>I would like to use while it was booting up, I prefer to use XP, but
    >>now it doesn't, and boots up automatically with Windows '98. Is it
    >>possible to swap between operating systems, and how do I do it?

    > You should be able to boot the XP drive simply by moving it to the
    > primary IDE channel as a master. IOW, make it C:
    >
    > As for booting one or the other as you choose, you may need a boot
    > manager. Would in Win98, don't know if XP has any sort of built in one
    > or not.

    Yes, it does. Which is what puzzles me. If it gave her the choice one
    time, it should each time the machine is started. If she made the Win98
    drive the slave before installing XP, it detects 98 and uses a boot manager.
    =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 20, 2005
  8. Rexel

    Bill Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:08:06 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >dadiOH wrote:
    >
    >> Rexel wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have installed Windows XP on a new Hard Drive on my PC, with
    >>>Windows '98SE left on the existing Hard Drive. The PC asked which OS
    >>>I would like to use while it was booting up, I prefer to use XP, but
    >>>now it doesn't, and boots up automatically with Windows '98. Is it
    >>>possible to swap between operating systems, and how do I do it?

    >> You should be able to boot the XP drive simply by moving it to the
    >> primary IDE channel as a master. IOW, make it C:
    >>
    >> As for booting one or the other as you choose, you may need a boot
    >> manager. Would in Win98, don't know if XP has any sort of built in one
    >> or not.

    >Yes, it does. Which is what puzzles me. If it gave her the choice one
    >time, it should each time the machine is started. If she made the Win98
    >drive the slave before installing XP, it detects 98 and uses a boot manager.

    Maybe boot.ini lists XP as default with a really short timout?
    (Though I think default time is 30 sec)
    Bill, May 20, 2005
  9. Rexel

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Boot with the XP cd and do a repair. At some point after booting, the option
    to Repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console should appear.
    Press the R key to choose it. You should then see the Windows XP
    installation listed.

    Enter the password to bring up the recovery console
    Use the command called FIXBOOT, which reinstalls the NT boot manager on the
    C: drive.

    copy X:\i386\NTLDR C:

    copy X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

    X would be the letter of your cdrom drive.

    This copies the NT boot manager from the CD-ROM drive to the C: drive

    Next, enter the command BOOTCFG /rebuild this will create a new Boot.ini
    file that will list both installed versions of Windows.

    pcbutts1, May 20, 2005
  10. Rexel

    Rexel Guest

    In the BIOS, I have options for:

    1st Boot Device- "Floppy"
    2nd Boot Device-"IDE-0"
    3rd Boot Device-"CDROM"

    And further down an option to "Boot to OS/2>64MB" which has been enabled.

    Rexel, May 20, 2005