    thnx, hj.

    --
    ______________________
    hugh jass, Sep 11, 2003

  2. hugh jass

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    Well, this usually means the hard disk is dead. Try booting back into the
    BIOS and if you have an "autodetect"
    feature, see if it will find the hard disk.
    If it fails, boot with a Windows98 Startup disk and from the A:\ drive run
    FDISK. See it choice 4 will show
    your C:\ drive. If not take it to a shop, The hard disk is most likely gone
    to hard disk heaven...or where ever
    they go when they are dead,
    DennisC

    "hugh jass" <> wrote in message
    > I have been using my notebook off and on and recently retrieved some

    crucial
    > data from it.
    > However, today, when I tried to boot it, I get the message "Operating

    System

    Computer Guy, Sep 11, 2003

  3. hugh jass

    jeroen Guest

    In article <K4R7b.3557$>,
    says...
    > I have been using my notebook off and on and recently retrieved some crucial
    > data from it.
    > However, today, when I tried to boot it, I get the message "Operating System
    > not found" right after BIOS and Setup.
    > Any idea what is happening?
    > It is a p2-266 running win98. The only thing I noticed oin the Setup that
    > looked wrong is that the Primary Master was set to "none" so I changed it to
    > "auto" but still no happiness.
    > Please do enlighten!
    > thnx, hj.

    agree with computer guy. Sometimes with a laptop removing hard disk and
    batteries and reinserting them helps.
    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
    Jeroen Wijnands
    jeroen, Sep 11, 2003
  4. hugh jass

    Buffalo Guest

    Possibly a connection came loose from the HDD, either ribbon or power.

    Buffalo, Sep 11, 2003
  5. hugh jass

    Guest

    I had the same problem with a brand new computer but the difference between
    your problem and mine though is I don't have a lap top. I would only
    recommend taking it to the shop as a last resort. The computer guy up town
    told me that I had one of two options, 1................Go into msconfig to
    the startups menu and disable everything and then to slowly put check marks
    back into only the programs I used the most or needed to boot at start up or
    2.....................Restart my computer every couple of days and just
    leave it on all the time. He told me that most people left their computers
    on all the time and that believe it or not doing this would not hardly use
    any extra power. Well I did go into msconfig and disable everything but my
    firewall and Norton from loading and just manually load the programs I need
    after booting. I changed the power setting to automatically turn off my
    monitor after 20 minutes. I have not had this problem since and that was
    about three months ago. Unfortunely you have a laptop and I have a desktop
    which I can leave on all the time. This is just my opinion as if you don't
    have to replace your whole drive then I wouldn't. Maybe too somebody else
    will read this post and have other options.

    x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
    , Sep 18, 2003
  6. hugh jass

    Jake Guest

    Okay call me crazy, but the last time I got that message, I couldn't go into
    msconfig. Why? Because I had NO operating system.

    Jake.

    Jake, Sep 19, 2003
  7. hugh jass

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:07:13 -0700, "Jake" <> wrote:

    >Okay call me crazy, but the last time I got that message, I couldn't go into
    >msconfig. Why? Because I had NO operating system.

    Obviously you must fix the problem before you use msconfig to fix the problem.

    >Jake.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640