    98?
    Just curious
    , Jun 19, 2006

  2. Travis Guest

    Windows 98 is pretty popular still, XP is more popular, ME is awful. 95 is
    used less than 98. 2000 is a good server. NT may be used, usually for public
    computers. I don't know the percentage

    Travis, Jun 19, 2006

  3. Duane Arnold Guest

    "Travis" <> wrote in message
    > Windows 98 is pretty popular still, XP is more popular, ME is awful. 95 is
    > used less than 98. 2000 is a good server. NT may be used, usually for
    > public computers. I don't know the percentage

    Out of the NT classed O/S(s) that's NT, XP, and Win 2K 3, Win 2K Pro
    workststion or Server Edition is the most stable. Win 2K Pro will replace
    Win 98SE in the long run that everyone will go to.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 19, 2006
  4. tony sayer Guest

    In article <EOolg.7948$>, Duane
    Arnold <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> writes

    >"Travis" <> wrote in message
    >> Windows 98 is pretty popular still, XP is more popular, ME is awful. 95 is
    >> used less than 98. 2000 is a good server. NT may be used, usually for
    >> public computers. I don't know the percentage

    >Out of the NT classed O/S(s) that's NT, XP, and Win 2K 3, Win 2K Pro
    >workststion or Server Edition is the most stable. Win 2K Pro will replace
    >Win 98SE in the long run that everyone will go to.

    I reckon that WIN2000 Pro is about the best they ever did.

    WIN98 is well outdated, ME is well awful, and XP is teletubby ware.....

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jun 19, 2006
  5. "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <EOolg.7948$>, Duane
    > Arnold <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> writes

    <snip>

    > WIN98 is well outdated, ME is well awful, and XP is teletubby ware.....
    >
    > --

    What is 'teletubby ware' ?
    John Rampling, Jun 19, 2006
  6. tony sayer Guest

    In article <hyslg.48034$>, John Rampling
    <> writes

    >"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <EOolg.7948$>, Duane
    >> Arnold <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> writes
    >>

    ><snip>
    >>
    >> WIN98 is well outdated, ME is well awful, and XP is teletubby ware.....
    >>
    >> --

    >What is 'teletubby ware' ?

    Bloated, unnecessary, resource hungry..that do;?....
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jun 19, 2006
  7. Tonagon Guest

    Amazingly there are still a decent number of people running Windows 98.
    My parents had it until last month when there 6 year old PC finally
    croaked.
    Not many people had Windows ME ever as far as I know, it was a short
    lived OS, it should be very rare these days.
    I still run into the occasional NT 4.0 system, I know some Government
    servers still run it and some other businesses that just don't like to
    upgrade there stuff.
    Windows 2000 is still quite popular, anyone who has a computer over 3
    years old probably is running it.
    Same can be said for 2000 server for servers.

    I would guess that XP is more prevailant then 2000 now, but not by a
    large margin.

    Then there is 2003 server which is now slowly taking over all the 2000
    server systems. It is a fairly good upgrade, but expect to run into
    permissions issues with some things when you install it. 2003 Server
    does a decent job of locking things down by default.

    I wonder where one could get accurate numbers on this though, I would
    bet Microsoft knows.
    Wow, now you got me curious.
    Tonagon, Jun 19, 2006
  8. Todd H. Guest

    writes:

    > What are the world percentage distributions among windows users which
    > use Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, NT and XP?
    > Are there a lot of people out there which are still using Windows 95 or
    > 98?
    > Just curious

    This is just stats from one site's visitors, but if you scroll down
    this page to OS Platform Statistics, you can get a rough feel:

    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Jun 19, 2006
  9. Duane Arnold Guest

    tony sayer wrote:
    > In article <EOolg.7948$>, Duane
    > Arnold <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> writes
    >
    >>"Travis" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Windows 98 is pretty popular still, XP is more popular, ME is awful. 95 is
    >>>used less than 98. 2000 is a good server. NT may be used, usually for
    >>>public computers. I don't know the percentage

    >>Out of the NT classed O/S(s) that's NT, XP, and Win 2K 3, Win 2K Pro
    >>workststion or Server Edition is the most stable. Win 2K Pro will replace
    >>Win 98SE in the long run that everyone will go to.
    >>

    > I reckon that WIN2000 Pro is about the best they ever did.
    >
    > WIN98 is well outdated, ME is well awful, and XP is teletubby ware.....

    Well, I'll have to put XP Pro there with Win 2K Pro as that's all I have
    seen lately in companies where I do programming on the MS platform. I'll
    take the boot and logon process of XP pro over Win 2K pro any day of the
    week.

    It does seem that more and more companies are going Win 2K 3 server too.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 20, 2006
  10. tony sayer Guest

    In article <RoGlg.8144$>, Duane
    Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes
    >tony sayer wrote:
    >> In article <EOolg.7948$>, Duane
    >> Arnold <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> writes
    >>
    >>>"Travis" <> wrote in message

    >>>Out of the NT classed O/S(s) that's NT, XP, and Win 2K 3, Win 2K Pro
    >>>workststion or Server Edition is the most stable. Win 2K Pro will replace
    >>>Win 98SE in the long run that everyone will go to.
    >>>

    >> I reckon that WIN2000 Pro is about the best they ever did.
    >>
    >> WIN98 is well outdated, ME is well awful, and XP is teletubby ware.....
    >>

    >Well, I'll have to put XP Pro there with Win 2K Pro as that's all I have
    >seen lately in companies where I do programming on the MS platform. I'll
    >take the boot and logon process of XP pro over Win 2K pro any day of the
    >week.

    Simply because they have to. The firms that supply them will either put
    XP on the machines because they can't get 2K or they will make an earner
    or the machines come loaded with it on already.

    Up here in Cambridge I know of a lot of IT pro's programmers, sysadmins
    who although they have to use Microsnot at work wouldn't give their
    products house room at home!.

    I've given a few old PC's away to good homes, deemed not good enough for
    all the latest Microsnot bloatware, and put Linux, open office,
    Thunderbird, GIMP, and Firefox all freebie programs on them and they
    tick fine:)

    >It does seem that more and more companies are going Win 2K 3 server too.

    Possibly as someone is making a profit from the sales?...

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jun 20, 2006
  11. Duane Arnold Guest

    tony sayer wrote:
    > In article <RoGlg.8144$>, Duane
    > Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes
    >
    >>tony sayer wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <EOolg.7948$>, Duane
    >>>Arnold <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> writes

    >>>I reckon that WIN2000 Pro is about the best they ever did.
    >>>
    >>>WIN98 is well outdated, ME is well awful, and XP is teletubby ware.....
    >>>

    >>Well, I'll have to put XP Pro there with Win 2K Pro as that's all I have
    >>seen lately in companies where I do programming on the MS platform. I'll
    >>take the boot and logon process of XP pro over Win 2K pro any day of the
    >>week.
    >>

    > Simply because they have to. The firms that supply them will either put
    > XP on the machines because they can't get 2K or they will make an earner
    > or the machines come loaded with it on already.

    If the companies that were using Win 2K pro before went to XP pro, it
    was not due to XP Pro already being on the machine. They already have a
    legal version for Win 2K pro and could have easily laid that down on the
    machine.

    No IT department that I am aware of will take a machine out of the box
    with the O/S and implement it into a work environment. They use preset
    images of the work environment that the machine is to be used in and lay
    that image down on the machine with the O/S and whatever else is to be
    used in the environment. They also install what's needed after to
    complete the installation so that the person can do his or her job.

    > Up here in Cambridge I know of a lot of IT pro's programmers, sysadmins
    > who although they have to use Microsnot at work wouldn't give their
    > products house room at home!.

    Well that's most likely not true if they have any expertise and
    professionalism about themselves. They most likely are on call and
    have a remote VPN connection into the MS network using MS at home.

    > I've given a few old PC's away to good homes, deemed not good enough for
    > all the latest Microsnot bloatware, and put Linux, open office,
    > Thunderbird, GIMP, and Firefox all freebie programs on them and they
    > tick fine:)

    Lets not be going off the deep end here about Linux. I got Linux on my
    network and I use it. But the reality is that Linux is just another O/S
    that has many problems too.

    >>It does seem that more and more companies are going Win 2K 3 server too.

    > Possibly as someone is making a profit from the sales?...

    You don't know what you're talking about as companies start positioning
    themselves to use .NET solutions in the work environment.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 20, 2006
  12. tony sayer Guest

    In article <NjRlg.8435$>, Duane
    Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes
    >tony sayer wrote:
    >> In article <RoGlg.8144$>, Duane
    >> Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes

    >>>Well, I'll have to put XP Pro there with Win 2K Pro as that's all I have
    >>>seen lately in companies where I do programming on the MS platform. I'll
    >>>take the boot and logon process of XP pro over Win 2K pro any day of the
    >>>week.
    >>>

    >> Simply because they have to. The firms that supply them will either put
    >> XP on the machines because they can't get 2K or they will make an earner
    >> or the machines come loaded with it on already.

    >If the companies that were using Win 2K pro before went to XP pro, it
    >was not due to XP Pro already being on the machine. They already have a
    >legal version for Win 2K pro and could have easily laid that down on the
    >machine.

    Well thats as may be but a lot of firms just buy the PC with what it
    comes with..

    >No IT department that I am aware of will take a machine out of the box
    >with the O/S and implement it into a work environment. They use preset
    >images of the work environment that the machine is to be used in and lay
    >that image down on the machine with the O/S and whatever else is to be
    >used in the environment. They also install what's needed after to
    >complete the installation so that the person can do his or her job.

    Sizeable outfits might but there are a lot of smaller ones who don't
    have that luxury;!.

    >> Up here in Cambridge I know of a lot of IT pro's programmers, sysadmins
    >> who although they have to use Microsnot at work wouldn't give their
    >> products house room at home!.

    >Well that's most likely not true if they have any expertise and
    >professionalism about themselves. They most likely are on call and
    >have a remote VPN connection into the MS network using MS at home.

    Yes.. suppose their must be a lot of amateurs out there doing pro jobs
    eh?.. Lot of 'em work for some very cutting edge companies but hey!..

    >> I've given a few old PC's away to good homes, deemed not good enough for
    >> all the latest Microsnot bloatware, and put Linux, open office,
    >> Thunderbird, GIMP, and Firefox all freebie programs on them and they
    >> tick fine:)

    >Lets not be going off the deep end here about Linux. I got Linux on my
    >network and I use it. But the reality is that Linux is just another O/S
    >that has many problems too.

    Dunnno ones I've used seem fine alright the GUI is a bit of a "could do
    better" but their damm stable..and all free software:)

    >>>It does seem that more and more companies are going Win 2K 3 server too.

    >> Possibly as someone is making a profit from the sales?...

    >You don't know what you're talking about as companies start positioning
    >themselves to use .NET solutions in the work environment.

    Course not.. I must be as thick as they come;) Don't suppose you deal
    with or see that many small firms that make up a very large portion of
    PC and computing users????

    cheers;)

    --
    Tony Sayer

    Bancom Communications U.K. Tel+44 1223 566577 Fax+44 1223 566588

    P.O. Box 280, Cambridge, England, CB2 2DY E-Mail
    tony sayer, Jun 21, 2006
  13. Duane Arnold Guest

    tony sayer wrote:
    > In article <NjRlg.8435$>, Duane
    > Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes
    >
    >>tony sayer wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <RoGlg.8144$>, Duane
    >>>Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes

    >>>Simply because they have to. The firms that supply them will either put
    >>>XP on the machines because they can't get 2K or they will make an earner
    >>>or the machines come loaded with it on already.

    >>If the companies that were using Win 2K pro before went to XP pro, it
    >>was not due to XP Pro already being on the machine. They already have a
    >>legal version for Win 2K pro and could have easily laid that down on the
    >>machine.

    > Well thats as may be but a lot of firms just buy the PC with what it
    > comes with..

    And you know this for a fact. How?

    >>No IT department that I am aware of will take a machine out of the box
    >>with the O/S and implement it into a work environment. They use preset
    >>images of the work environment that the machine is to be used in and lay
    >>that image down on the machine with the O/S and whatever else is to be
    >>used in the environment. They also install what's needed after to
    >>complete the installation so that the person can do his or her job.

    > Sizeable outfits might but there are a lot of smaller ones who don't
    > have that luxury;!.

    Some of them do and some of them don't.

    >>>Up here in Cambridge I know of a lot of IT pro's programmers, sysadmins
    >>>who although they have to use Microsnot at work wouldn't give their
    >>>products house room at home!.

    >>Well that's most likely not true if they have any expertise and
    >>professionalism about themselves. They most likely are on call and
    >>have a remote VPN connection into the MS network using MS at home.

    > Yes.. suppose their must be a lot of amateurs out there doing pro jobs
    > eh?.. Lot of 'em work for some very cutting edge companies but hey!..

    Yeah, some of the no nothing *clowns* I have seen come out of colleges
    working for cutting edge companies do need a Pamper change or two -- no
    doubt about it.

    >>>I've given a few old PC's away to good homes, deemed not good enough for
    >>>all the latest Microsnot bloatware, and put Linux, open office,
    >>>Thunderbird, GIMP, and Firefox all freebie programs on them and they
    >>>tick fine:)

    >>Lets not be going off the deep end here about Linux. I got Linux on my
    >>network and I use it. But the reality is that Linux is just another O/S
    >>that has many problems too.

    > Dunnno ones I've used seem fine alright the GUI is a bit of a "could do
    > better" but their damm stable..and all free software:)

    Free is ok if you want to go that way. But all my stuff on the Windows
    machines are free too. It all depends on who you know. And my stuff is
    stable at home and in the work place.

    I do see them patching the Hell out of Linux just like MS.

    >>>Possibly as someone is making a profit from the sales?...

    >>You don't know what you're talking about as companies start positioning
    >>themselves to use .NET solutions in the work environment.

    > Course not.. I must be as thick as they come;) Don't suppose you deal
    > with or see that many small firms that make up a very large portion of
    > PC and computing users????

    What has this got to do with anything?

    No I work for multi, multi, multi billion dollar companies and I have
    worked for small companies too as a full time employee or contract
    programmer, since 1980 actually started in 71 in the IT field.

    I have seen and done a whole lot things and forgotten about them too. ;-)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 21, 2006
  14. tony sayer Guest

    >> Well thats as may be but a lot of firms just buy the PC with what it
    >> comes with..
    >>

    >And you know this for a fact. How?

    Just observation. During the working week I visit quite a few customers
    large and small and small make up the larger proportion of business in
    the UK at least...perhaps things are different over there >?..

    >>>No IT department that I am aware of will take a machine out of the box
    >>>with the O/S and implement it into a work environment. They use preset
    >>>images of the work environment that the machine is to be used in and lay
    >>>that image down on the machine with the O/S and whatever else is to be
    >>>used in the environment. They also install what's needed after to
    >>>complete the installation so that the person can do his or her job.

    >> Sizeable outfits might but there are a lot of smaller ones who don't
    >> have that luxury;!.

    >Some of them do and some of them don't.

    >>>Well that's most likely not true if they have any expertise and
    >>>professionalism about themselves. They most likely are on call and
    >>>have a remote VPN connection into the MS network using MS at home.

    >> Yes.. suppose their must be a lot of amateurs out there doing pro jobs
    >> eh?.. Lot of 'em work for some very cutting edge companies but hey!..
    >>

    >Yeah, some of the no nothing *clowns* I have seen come out of colleges
    >working for cutting edge companies do need a Pamper change or two -- no
    >doubt about it.

    Yes of course this is a university city and does turn out some right
    duffers;, but there are quite a few tech based companies and other
    places like research institutes around here...even Billy Gates has a
    place in Cambridge;)

    >>>Lets not be going off the deep end here about Linux. I got Linux on my
    >>>network and I use it. But the reality is that Linux is just another O/S
    >>>that has many problems too.

    >> Dunnno ones I've used seem fine alright the GUI is a bit of a "could do
    >> better" but their damm stable..and all free software:)

    >Free is ok if you want to go that way. But all my stuff on the Windows
    >machines are free too. It all depends on who you know. And my stuff is
    >stable at home and in the work place.

    What is MS office or a windoze OS free now?, yes of course there is a
    lot of freebie windoze stuff..

    >I do see them patching the Hell out of Linux just like MS.

    >>>You don't know what you're talking about as companies start positioning
    >>>themselves to use .NET solutions in the work environment.

    >> Course not.. I must be as thick as they come;) Don't suppose you deal
    >> with or see that many small firms that make up a very large portion of
    >> PC and computing users????
    >>

    >What has this got to do with anything?
    >
    >No I work for multi, multi, multi billion dollar companies and I have
    >worked for small companies too as a full time employee or contract
    >programmer, since 1980 actually started in 71 in the IT field.
    >
    >I have seen and done a whole lot things and forgotten about them too. ;-)

    Yep me too.. looks like we'll both be putting our feet up at the same
    time then;-))

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jun 22, 2006
  15. Duane Arnold Guest

    > What is MS office or a windoze OS free now?, yes of course there is a
    > lot of freebie windoze stuff..

    If you know the right people, then of course one is going to get it
    free. If you don't know, then you don't know and you're not getting it
    free. I have Visual Studio 6, .NET 2000, Office 2000, SQL Server 2000
    etc, etc and a whole lot more free.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 24, 2006
  16. tony sayer Guest

    In article <%Z7ng.435$>, Duane
    Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes

    >> What is MS office or a windoze OS free now?, yes of course there is a
    >> lot of freebie windoze stuff..
    >>

    >If you know the right people, then of course one is going to get it
    >free. If you don't know, then you don't know and you're not getting it
    >free. I have Visual Studio 6, .NET 2000, Office 2000, SQL Server 2000
    >etc, etc and a whole lot more free.
    >
    >Duane :)

    Free and legal and licensed by Microsoft, or a borrowed copy?......
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jun 24, 2006
  17. Duane Arnold Guest

    tony sayer wrote:
    > In article <%Z7ng.435$>, Duane
    > Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes
    >
    >>>What is MS office or a windoze OS free now?, yes of course there is a
    >>>lot of freebie windoze stuff..
    >>>

    >>If you know the right people, then of course one is going to get it
    >>free. If you don't know, then you don't know and you're not getting it
    >>free. I have Visual Studio 6, .NET 2000, Office 2000, SQL Server 2000
    >>etc, etc and a whole lot more free.
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > Free and legal and licensed by Microsoft, or a borrowed copy?......

    Some the company I worked for at the time gave me and some I got from
    other programmers. I don't care as long as I am not paying for it.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 24, 2006
  18. tony sayer Guest

    In article <EQcng.584$>, Duane
    Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes
    >tony sayer wrote:
    >> In article <%Z7ng.435$>, Duane
    >> Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes

    >>>If you know the right people, then of course one is going to get it
    >>>free. If you don't know, then you don't know and you're not getting it
    >>>free. I have Visual Studio 6, .NET 2000, Office 2000, SQL Server 2000
    >>>etc, etc and a whole lot more free.
    >>>
    >>>Duane :)

    >> Free and legal and licensed by Microsoft, or a borrowed copy?......

    >Some the company I worked for at the time gave me and some I got from
    >other programmers. I don't care as long as I am not paying for it.
    >
    >Duane :)

    Well that isn't free then..as I see it.. more pirated or nicked...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jun 24, 2006
  19. Duane Arnold Guest

    tony sayer wrote:
    > In article <%Z7ng.435$>, Duane
    > Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes
    >
    >>>What is MS office or a windoze OS free now?, yes of course there is a
    >>>lot of freebie windoze stuff..
    >>>

    >>If you know the right people, then of course one is going to get it
    >>free. If you don't know, then you don't know and you're not getting it
    >>free. I have Visual Studio 6, .NET 2000, Office 2000, SQL Server 2000
    >>etc, etc and a whole lot more free.
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > Free and legal and licensed by Microsoft, or a borrowed copy?......

    I do want you to be aware of what's happening with Win 2K3 server. And
    when GoDaddy is talking about future growth, it's talking about .Net
    solutions. And a vast majority of the corporate/business world is making
    the transition to .NET over Linux and Apache as Win 2K3 and IIS 6 are
    very secure solutions unlike Win 2K and IIS 5.

    Long

    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2006/04/06/april_2006_web_server_survey.html

    Short

    http://tinyurl.com/nskgb

    It's about .NET as it's being chosen over Java to build Web server,
    client server and desktop business solutions.

    http://www.dotnetlanguages.net/DNL/Resources.aspx

    It's about that .Net Framework as ratified by the ISO and ECMA.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Language_Infrastructure

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 25, 2006