Operating Processes(too many of them)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jb, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. jb

    jb Guest

    Hi All,

    I know that this may have been posted many times before, but Google and
    search are blank on this one....

    I am using WIN XP sp2, etc. and at this time have about 60+ processes
    running at one time (access via win task manager).

    now I have another computer (2) that is minimally installed with programs
    and it has about 30 or so.

    I manually removed all those that were not on the other computer(2) from my
    main computer (1) and wa-la - a MUCH faster machine.(seemed smoother too??)

    now the question, where are these program(start up thingers) located?

    is there a permanent way to remove them?
    any bad effects that I am not seeing now?
    and the little icons in the lower left corner will dissipater???

    any help is appreciated

    thanks in advance = john b - Wisconsin cheesehead -
    jb, Jan 28, 2006

  2. jb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:1eOCf.22702$,
    jb spewed forth:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I know that this may have been posted many times before, but Google
    > and search are blank on this one....
    >
    > I am using WIN XP sp2, etc. and at this time have about 60+ processes
    > running at one time (access via win task manager).
    >
    > now I have another computer (2) that is minimally installed with
    > programs and it has about 30 or so.
    >
    > I manually removed all those that were not on the other computer(2)
    > from my main computer (1) and wa-la - a MUCH faster machine.(seemed
    > smoother too??)

    "wa-la"? Where do these people go to school nowadays? Geesh! If you don't
    know how to use/spell a word, rewrite the sentence in such a way that you
    don't need to make an idiot of yourself.

    > now the question, where are these program(start up thingers) located?

    "thingers"? Like I said...

    > is there a permanent way to remove them?

    Yes.

    > any bad effects that I am not seeing now?

    Possibly.

    > and the little icons in the lower left corner will dissipater???

    "dissipater"? What a maroon.

    > any help is appreciated
    >
    > thanks in advance = john b - Wisconsin cheesehead -

    Yes, your post certainly seems to indicate you have cheese between the ears.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 28, 2006

  3. jb

    jb Guest

    Hi Again,

    First off I wish to thank "toolman tim" for the wonderful words of wisdom
    and the immense time and effort taken on his part to add a "smart reply" to
    my inquiry!!!

    Second off I wish to thank "toolman tim" for his lack of understanding the
    questions that I (and others) have asked, instead of focusing on the grammar
    used in my message.

    If "toolman tim" can't understand the questions, why play with the
    grammar.... wasted time on all of our parts... on mine too for responding
    in this way. (but I JUST had to !!!!)

    So "toolman tim" if you can, please respond to the questions asked, that is
    if you have the intelligence to do so. If not, please shut up and leave the
    "answering" to those who can and will do so.

    Thanks in advance (again to those of larger intelligence) - John b
    Wisconsin Cheesehead (and PROUD OF IT)

    ps - "toolman tim" you just are wishing that you have cheeses like we do in
    Wisconsin - wish away........ but please reply to the posted questions....

    jb, Jan 28, 2006
  4. jb

    Donald Guest

    start/run/msconfig start up tab uncheck what you don't want to run

    Donald, Jan 28, 2006
  5. jb

    Deano Guest

    Deano, Jan 28, 2006
  6. jb

    Budweiser Guest

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I know that this may have been posted many times before, but Google
    > and search are blank on this one....
    >
    > I am using WIN XP sp2, etc. and at this time have about 60+ processes
    > running at one time (access via win task manager).
    >
    > now I have another computer (2) that is minimally installed with
    > programs and it has about 30 or so.
    >
    > I manually removed all those that were not on the other computer(2)
    > from my main computer (1) and wa-la - a MUCH faster machine.(seemed
    > smoother too??)
    >
    > now the question, where are these program(start up thingers) located?
    >
    > is there a permanent way to remove them?
    > any bad effects that I am not seeing now?
    > and the little icons in the lower left corner will dissipater???
    >
    > any help is appreciated
    >
    > thanks in advance = john b - Wisconsin cheesehead -

    With "Toolman Tim" on this one.
    You either mis-spelt google,or failed to understand the answers
    provided.
    I love cheese--never had any good stuff from Wisconsin tho,is that where
    they make dairylea,babybel and that other snack stuff?--always wondered
    where it came from.
    Budweiser, Jan 28, 2006
  7. jb

    jb Guest

    Again, many thanks for the sarcastic responses to my inquiry!!

    I will take them under consideration.

    I have used the msconfig, but was wondering is there was another way....

    I will have a look at your suggestion too.

    many thanks to all

    I can guess why many people just "stay at home" and not bother to venture
    out into the world. (of use-groups) .... please and thank you and
    manners.............. where did some parents go wrong??? But I give thanks
    that my kids are polite!

    But again - thank you for those that responded to my questions in a nice and
    polite manner... for the rest of the idiots out there, please FO! (if you
    need that translated........)

    jb, Jan 28, 2006
  8. jb wrote:

    > Hi Again,
    >
    > First off I wish to thank "toolman tim" for the wonderful words of wisdom
    > and the immense time and effort taken on his part to add a "smart reply"
    > to my inquiry!!!

    Well, _international_ newsgroups are not like a local (web) forum - the
    messages moving around the globe, from server to server(s) over high
    bandwidth backbones. And then, you are not anonymous when posting - you can
    check the "headers" and see server names, paths, ip addresses, hostnames.
    You can easily be tracked down if "someone" finds it necessary.

    > Second off I wish to thank "toolman tim" for his lack of understanding the
    > questions that I (and others) have asked, instead of focusing on the
    > grammar used in my message.

    Toolman tim is a "regular" here. He does answer lots of questions, he just
    seems to be idiosyncratic against some suburban or rural slang.
    > Thanks in advance (again to those of larger intelligence) - John b
    > Wisconsin Cheesehead (and PROUD OF IT)

    We do make some sort of cheese here in Austria (original Switzerland) - read
    loaf big as a head outside, pale yellow and many holes inside. Made from
    the finest alpine milk. We are also proud of it, but don't call ourselves
    cheeseheads then ...

    > ps - "toolman tim" you just are wishing that you have cheeses like we do
    > in
    > Wisconsin - wish away........ but please reply to the posted
    > questions....

    "msconfig" is the magic word. And "backup" comes just beforehand.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Jan 28, 2006
  9. "jb" <jbousman@> wrote

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I know that this may have been posted many times before, but Google
    > and search are blank on this one....

    It helps if you know the terminology. Ah, seems you do, "Operating
    Processes".....;o) I know there are many links covering this, and I'm
    glad I know which links are not malicious. So I'll share them with
    you. It also helps if you provide a little more information about your
    computer. I ass-u-me you are using WinXP. If so go here:

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    ....and download StartupCPL2.8, unzip and install. The non-stand-alone
    executable version is safe and for a less-than-experienced person, the
    non-stand-alone may be daunting. This program will take care of the
    StartUp Entries, the Services applet won't. Just go to Control Panel
    and look for the Startup entry after installation of StartupCPL2.8.

    Then head on over to:

    http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

    .....to gaze at a copy of Black Viper's now defunct services page.
    There is a wealth of knowledge there.

    Please send cheese to my email address.....;oD

    @}-}-------Rosee, Jan 28, 2006
  10. jb

    Deano Guest

    jb wrote:
    > Again, many thanks for the sarcastic responses to my inquiry!!
    >
    > I will take them under consideration.
    >
    > I have used the msconfig, but was wondering is there was another
    > way....
    >
    > I will have a look at your suggestion too.
    >
    > many thanks to all
    >
    > I can guess why many people just "stay at home" and not bother to
    > venture out into the world. (of use-groups) .... please and thank you
    > and manners.............. where did some parents go wrong??? But I
    > give thanks that my kids are polite!
    >
    > But again - thank you for those that responded to my questions in a
    > nice and polite manner... for the rest of the idiots out there,
    > please FO! (if you need that translated........)
    >

    > john b - Wisconsin cheesehead
    >

    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    >> jb wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I know that this may have been posted many times before, but Google
    >>> and search are blank on this one....

    >> Can't think you looked to hard;
    >>
    >> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/
    >>
    >> among others.

    Are you new to usenet or something? I don't think I've been sarcastic or
    idiotic. You wanted specific, discrete info on windows processes and
    natuarlly enough there's plenty of sites out there that can help. It would
    simply save you time to increase the effectiveness of your searches before
    asking for help, mainly because most topics are already well documented.
    Deano, Jan 28, 2006
  11. jb wrote:
    > Again, many thanks for the sarcastic responses to my inquiry!!
    >
    > I will take them under consideration.
    >
    > I have used the msconfig, but was wondering is there was another way....
    >
    > I will have a look at your suggestion too.
    >
    > many thanks to all
    >
    > I can guess why many people just "stay at home" and not bother to venture
    > out into the world. (of use-groups) .... please and thank you and
    > manners.............. where did some parents go wrong??? But I give thanks
    > that my kids are polite!
    >
    > But again - thank you for those that responded to my questions in a nice and
    > polite manner... for the rest of the idiots out there, please FO! (if you
    > need that translated........)
    >

    > john b - Wisconsin cheesehead
    >

    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    >> jb wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I know that this may have been posted many times before, but Google
    >>> and search are blank on this one....

    >> Can't think you looked to hard;
    >>
    >> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/
    >>
    >> among others.

    JB,

    You sound like a true, bona fide, sanctified, blithering idiot. First,
    you come here with a question that is legitimate, some people are new to
    many things having to do with computers and need help, as I and many
    others in here do. But you present it in a way and communicate the
    problem to the group like you are playing a game, like you are in some
    dipshit chat room or something. Using retarded little words that you
    think are cute in your insulated play time world and you don't really
    realize that some people come here to be serious and get serious help.

    That type of post that you made is just asking for a real adult to slap
    your dumb ass back into reality and make you realize that if you need
    help ask it in a way as to convey some seriousness to the problem.
    Unless you want your question treated like a game don't ask the question
    like it is a game.

    Then, in your ignorance, you insult people that could have helped you if
    you had only honestly shown some kind of sense and a little need to have
    someone help you. Instead you have to defend yourself against those who
    criticize your stupidity. You got off on the wrong foot and then you
    just kept cutting your own leg off because you are probably just too
    immature to discuss things in this group to start with. You had your
    feelings hurt. Grow up you little baby and join the real world.

    Alt

    --
    How many of you are in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
    into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Jan 28, 2006
  12. jb

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jan 28, 2006
  13. jb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:CEOCf.22717$,
    jb spewed forth:
    > Hi Again,
    >
    > First off I wish to thank "toolman tim" for the wonderful words of
    > wisdom and the immense time and effort taken on his part to add a
    > "smart reply" to my inquiry!!!

    You're very welcome. <g>

    > Second off I wish to thank "toolman tim" for his lack of
    > understanding the questions that I (and others) have asked, instead
    > of focusing on the grammar used in my message.

    What ever gave you the indication that I did not understand the questions?

    > If "toolman tim" can't understand the questions, why play with the
    > grammar.... wasted time on all of our parts... on mine too for
    > responding in this way. (but I JUST had to !!!!)

    You asked a yes or no question. I gave the appropriate answer.

    > So "toolman tim" if you can, please respond to the questions asked,
    > that is if you have the intelligence to do so. If not, please shut up
    > and leave the "answering" to those who can and will do so.

    As I did. Yes. That's the answer.

    > Thanks in advance (again to those of larger intelligence) - John b
    > Wisconsin Cheesehead (and PROUD OF IT)
    >
    > ps - "toolman tim" you just are wishing that you have cheeses like we
    > do in Wisconsin - wish away........ but please reply to the posted
    > questions....

    We do have cheeses here. In fact, some of our cheese in Oregon is nationally
    known and award winning. No wish needed.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 28, 2006
  14. jb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43dbda07$0$12032$,
    Plato spewed forth:
    > jb wrote:
    >>
    >> I am using WIN XP sp2, etc. and at this time have about 60+ processes
    >> running at one time (access via win task manager).

    > http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    > http://www.pcreview.co.uk/startup/
    > http://www.castlecops.com/StartupList.html
    > http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp

    Thanks, Plato. If one more person offered "msconfig.exe" as a permanent fix
    to keeping processes from running I was going to puke. Using a diagnostics
    tool (as a bandaid) instead of resolving the issue (healing the problem) is
    just plain dumb.

    To the other people who (incorrectly) suggested msconfig.exe, keep in mind
    that the OP was asking for a PERMANENT way to deal with stopping the
    processes from running. The msconfig tool is great for identifying the
    problem or determining if the system will run correctly without a specific
    startup program or process, but it is NOT designed for permanent use. Use
    the tool, then fix the problem. Shut off the process, disable the startup,
    whatever. But don't keep msconfig running forever and ever on the system.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 28, 2006
  15. jb

    jb Guest

    Again, I thank you ALL for the valued input.

    Got answers that I can start on - THANKS again!

    Yes, we in Wisconsin may at times use slang and other words that may be
    miss-understood, but we try.

    sorry if I offended anyone, but I like funnin with others of intellect too.
    My American (Central USA) may not be 100% perfect, but it has got me a long
    way so far.... Again, THANKS to ALL 'toolman tim' too. (meaning that too)...

    been fun, not being hurt or offended, hope not to have done the same, had a
    great Saturday between clients and will be back.

    thanks again to: (in no particular order)

    @}-}-------Rosee <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com>
    Toolman Tim <>
    Donald
    Walter (Austria Cheese uuummm... good)
    Deano
    "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net">
    Budweiser <>
    Plato <|@|.|>

    Sorry if I missed anyone, but you are in my thoughts and thanks.

    Peace, love and good will to all.

    John b Still a Wisconsin Cheesehead....
    ( to find the origan of the term "Wisconsin Cheesehead" look
    up the Green Bay Packers......)
    and having nothing to hide - my e-mail IS mugged -
    personal reply - REMOVE the oblivious
    jb, Jan 28, 2006
  16. jb

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > >> I am using WIN XP sp2, etc. and at this time have about 60+ processes
    > >> running at one time (access via win task manager).

    > > http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    > > http://www.pcreview.co.uk/startup/
    > > http://www.castlecops.com/StartupList.html
    > > http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp

    > Thanks, Plato. If one more person offered "msconfig.exe" as a permanent fix
    > to keeping processes from running I was going to puke. Using a diagnostics
    > tool (as a bandaid) instead of resolving the issue (healing the problem) is
    > just plain dumb.

    I just used msconfig today to temporarily turn off ZA [3 entries],
    NetPerSec, TClock2, and SecondCopy 2000 so I play around with fixing my
    default browser. Long story short, there was nothing wrong with NS7x.

    My kid had set my pc to use a proxy server to test his latest creation,
    ie http://www.kissmyip.com/, and forgot to turn it off. I was in a
    panic. Pages loading up real slow, incorrect IP address, etc. I thought
    my pc was toasted for a while. I was so relieved when he fixed it.
    Funny, I now need a 15 year old to fix MY pc :)

    Yes, I did teach him to test his stuff on different pcs and browsers,
    especially browsers he doesn't use, to make sure his damm stuff works.
    Cant complain.
    Plato, Jan 29, 2006
  17. jb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43dd0dc1$0$4903$,
    Plato spewed forth:

    >>> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    >>> http://www.pcreview.co.uk/startup/
    >>> http://www.castlecops.com/StartupList.html
    >>> http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp

    >> Thanks, Plato. If one more person offered "msconfig.exe" as a
    >> permanent fix to keeping processes from running I was going to puke.
    >> Using a diagnostics tool (as a bandaid) instead of resolving the
    >> issue (healing the problem) is just plain dumb.

    > I just used msconfig today to temporarily turn off ZA [3 entries],
    > NetPerSec, TClock2, and SecondCopy 2000 so I play around with fixing
    > my default browser. Long story short, there was nothing wrong with
    > NS7x.

    Perfect example of using msconfig to diagnose a problem.

    > My kid had set my pc to use a proxy server to test his latest
    > creation, ie http://www.kissmyip.com/, and forgot to turn it off. I
    > was in a panic. Pages loading up real slow, incorrect IP address,
    > etc. I thought my pc was toasted for a while. I was so relieved when
    > he fixed it. Funny, I now need a 15 year old to fix MY pc :)
    >
    > Yes, I did teach him to test his stuff on different pcs and browsers,
    > especially browsers he doesn't use, to make sure his damm stuff works.
    > Cant complain.

    Well, maybe a little. Kinda like Dad and his tools: if you borrow them you'd
    better put them back. If he tests his setup on your PC, he should put it
    back like he found it. But you're right - it is good that he's looking at
    his work from more than just one direction.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 29, 2006
  18. jb

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > > Yes, I did teach him to test his stuff on different pcs and browsers,
    > > especially browsers he doesn't use, to make sure his damm stuff works.
    > > Cant complain.

    > Well, maybe a little. Kinda like Dad and his tools: if you borrow them you'd
    > better put them back. If he tests his setup on your PC, he should put it
    > back like he found it. But you're right - it is good that he's looking at
    > his work from more than just one direction.

    Most of the time I do get my real house/plumbing/standard/such tools
    back. I just cant keep a pen on my desk :)
    Plato, Jan 29, 2006
  19. jb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43dd1f95$0$506$,
    Plato spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes, I did teach him to test his stuff on different pcs and
    >>> browsers, especially browsers he doesn't use, to make sure his damm
    >>> stuff works. Cant complain.

    >> Well, maybe a little. Kinda like Dad and his tools: if you borrow
    >> them you'd better put them back. If he tests his setup on your PC,
    >> he should put it back like he found it. But you're right - it is
    >> good that he's looking at his work from more than just one direction.

    > Most of the time I do get my real house/plumbing/standard/such tools
    > back. I just cant keep a pen on my desk :)

    LOL! I have the opposite problem at work - I keep taking other peoples pens
    (just the generic ones - anything nice I know better <g>)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 29, 2006
  20. jb wrote:

    Hi All,

    >I know that this may have been posted many times before, but Google and
    >search are blank on this one....
    >
    >I am using WIN XP sp2, etc. and at this time have about 60+ processes
    >running at one time (access via win task manager).
    >
    >now I have another computer (2) that is minimally installed with programs
    >and it has about 30 or so.
    >
    >I manually removed all those that were not on the other computer(2) from my
    >main computer (1) and wa-la - a MUCH faster machine.(seemed smoother too??)
    >
    >now the question, where are these program(start up thingers) located?
    >
    >is there a permanent way to remove them?
    >any bad effects that I am not seeing now?
    >and the little icons in the lower left corner will dissipater???
    >
    >any help is appreciated
    >
    >thanks in advance = john b - Wisconsin cheesehead -

    What about machines worries you?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006