Opera to Firefox bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Mason A. Clark, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. How do I import Opera bookmarks to Firefox?

    Mason C
    Mason A. Clark, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Mason A. Clark wrote:
    > How do I import Opera bookmarks to Firefox?
    >
    > Mason C

    Have you tried Bookmarks>>Manage Bookmarks>>Edit>>Import, and checking
    the Opera button? I've never actually done it so I can't swear to its
    efficacy.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Mason A. Clark

    Guest

    There is no mention of Opera in my Firefox Import list, but I dont
    have Opera installed, so I dont know if it is possible or not.
    However, I imagine you got IE on your computer, even if you dont use
    it. I am not familiar with Opera, but will Opera export bookmarks to
    IE? If so, export to IE, than Import them to Firefox.
    I briefly tried Opera a few years ago, and did not like it at all, so
    it got removed after a short time. Firefox is all I use now, other
    than an occasional use of IE when I find a webpage that loads weird.

    PS. I get a kick out of Opera. They claim to be the fastest browser.
    I found them to be the slowest of every Browser I have ever used, and
    I have tried many.

    Mark

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:50:01 GMT, Mason A. Clark
    <> wrote:

    >How do I import Opera bookmarks to Firefox?
    >
    > Mason C
    , Nov 17, 2004
  4. wrote:
    > There is no mention of Opera in my Firefox Import list, but I dont
    > have Opera installed, so I dont know if it is possible or not.
    > However, I imagine you got IE on your computer, even if you dont use
    > it. I am not familiar with Opera, but will Opera export bookmarks to
    > IE? If so, export to IE, than Import them to Firefox.
    > I briefly tried Opera a few years ago, and did not like it at all, so
    > it got removed after a short time. Firefox is all I use now, other
    > than an occasional use of IE when I find a webpage that loads weird.
    >
    > PS. I get a kick out of Opera. They claim to be the fastest browser.
    > I found them to be the slowest of every Browser I have ever used, and
    > I have tried many.
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:50:01 GMT, Mason A. Clark
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>How do I import Opera bookmarks to Firefox?
    >>
    >> Mason C

    do have Opera on my machine, and it does show in the import list. FF
    must have autodetected that it was installed when FF was installed.

    Even if the Opera option isn't there, there should be no need to export
    to IE. Just export the Opera bookmarks to a file, then import that file
    to FF.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 17, 2004
  5. On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:32:24 -0600, wrote:

    >PS. I get a kick out of Opera. They claim to be the fastest browser.
    >I found them to be the slowest of every Browser I have ever used, and
    >I have tried many.

    I need to comment. I find Opera fast and having some
    features that are very desirable -- some that Firefox
    does not have. Quick and many options, including,
    e.g. minimum font, screen zoom, quick toggle between
    user and author mode. That said, I have both and will
    be evaluating. As we all should?

    Mason c
    Mason A. Clark, Nov 17, 2004
  6. On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:40:44 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> There is no mention of Opera in my Firefox Import list, but I dont
    >> have Opera installed, so I dont know if it is possible or not.
    >> However, I imagine you got IE on your computer, even if you dont use
    >> it. I am not familiar with Opera, but will Opera export bookmarks to
    >> IE? If so, export to IE, than Import them to Firefox.
    >> I briefly tried Opera a few years ago, and did not like it at all, so
    >> it got removed after a short time. Firefox is all I use now, other
    >> than an occasional use of IE when I find a webpage that loads weird.
    >>
    >> PS. I get a kick out of Opera. They claim to be the fastest browser.
    >> I found them to be the slowest of every Browser I have ever used, and
    >> I have tried many.
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>
    >> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:50:01 GMT, Mason A. Clark
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>How do I import Opera bookmarks to Firefox?
    >>>
    >>> Mason C

    > do have Opera on my machine, and it does show in the import list. FF
    >must have autodetected that it was installed when FF was installed.
    >
    >Even if the Opera option isn't there, there should be no need to export
    >to IE. Just export the Opera bookmarks to a file, then import that file
    >to FF.

    Apparently my Firefox did not detect Opera.

    Mason C
    Mason A. Clark, Nov 17, 2004
  7. Mason A. Clark

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    :: BRIAN ::, Nov 18, 2004
  8. On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:50:01 GMT, Mason A. Clark
    <> wrote:

    >How do I import Opera bookmarks to Firefox?
    >
    > Mason C

    Thanks for the suggestions. I've obeyed them all.

    Nothing works. I can make an operax.html file but
    putting it somewhere doesn't work. I can replace
    the supposed firefox bookmark.html to no avail.

    Anyone here got any genuine avails?

    (I *suspect* that I have gotten advice from
    people who know how it should be done but
    haven't actually done it.)

    Mason C
    Mason A. Clark, Nov 18, 2004
  9. Mason A. Clark

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    (On 11/18/2004 4:35 PM) Mason A. Clark wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:50:01 GMT, Mason A. Clark
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>How do I import Opera bookmarks to Firefox?
    >>
    >> Mason C

    > Thanks for the suggestions. I've obeyed them all.
    >
    > Nothing works. I can make an operax.html file but
    > putting it somewhere doesn't work. I can replace
    > the supposed firefox bookmark.html to no avail.
    >
    > Anyone here got any genuine avails?
    >
    > (I *suspect* that I have gotten advice from
    > people who know how it should be done but
    > haven't actually done it.)
    >
    > Mason C

    I've actually imported Opera bookmarks before. It was a while ago, so I
    installed Opera again and tried it again just for the hell of it (and
    then quickly uninstalled it because I hate it).

    In the past I needed to use Bookmark Converter, but I successfully
    imported the Opera bookmarks this time with just Firefox's import
    function. I opened the Bookmark Manager, then File >> Import >> Opera.
    And then Firefox put all the Opera bookmarks in a folder called "From
    Opera".

    I also tried using Bookmark Converter today, and it still works too.

    Opera BM:
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/images/temp/operamanager.png

    Firefox BM:
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/images/temp/ffmanager.png

    --
    Brian
    :: BRIAN ::, Nov 19, 2004
  10. On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:40:49 -0500, :: BRIAN :: <user@127.0.1.1> wrote:

    >(On 11/18/2004 4:35 PM) Mason A. Clark wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:50:01 GMT, Mason A. Clark
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>How do I import Opera bookmarks to Firefox?
    >>>
    >>> Mason C

    >> Thanks for the suggestions. I've obeyed them all.
    >>
    >> Nothing works. I can make an operax.html file but
    >> putting it somewhere doesn't work. I can replace
    >> the supposed firefox bookmark.html to no avail.
    >>
    >> Anyone here got any genuine avails?
    >>
    >> (I *suspect* that I have gotten advice from
    >> people who know how it should be done but
    >> haven't actually done it.)
    >>
    >> Mason C

    >I've actually imported Opera bookmarks before. It was a while ago, so I
    >installed Opera again and tried it again just for the hell of it (and
    >then quickly uninstalled it because I hate it).
    >
    >In the past I needed to use Bookmark Converter, but I successfully
    >imported the Opera bookmarks this time with just Firefox's import
    >function. I opened the Bookmark Manager, then File >> Import >> Opera.
    > And then Firefox put all the Opera bookmarks in a folder called "From
    >Opera".
    >
    >I also tried using Bookmark Converter today, and it still works too.
    >
    >Opera BM:
    >http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/images/temp/operamanager.png
    >
    >Firefox BM:
    >http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/images/temp/ffmanager.png

    Thank you for Brian. I believe you. But my
    "Firefox version 1.0 Preview Release" recently downloaded
    simply does not recognize the existence of Opera.
    It does recognize MSIE, Netscape 4,6,7 and Mozilla.
    And offers to load from "File".

    I removed and reinstalled Firefox to no avail.

    I tried Bookmark Converter up down and sideways to
    no avail.

    There is an "Opera6.html" which is my Opera bookmarks.
    I've tried putting it whereever to no avail.

    I'm all out of avails.

    Thanks anyway.

    Mason c

    P.S. I love Opera. I can't imagine why you hate it.
    Mason A. Clark, Nov 19, 2004
  11. Mason A. Clark wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:40:49 -0500, :: BRIAN :: <user@127.0.1.1> wrote:
    >

    >>(On 11/18/2004 4:35 PM) Mason A. Clark wrote:

    >>>Thanks for the suggestions. I've obeyed them all.
    >>>
    >>>Nothing works. I can make an operax.html file but
    >>>putting it somewhere doesn't work. I can replace
    >>>the supposed firefox bookmark.html to no avail.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone here got any genuine avails?
    >>>
    >>>(I *suspect* that I have gotten advice from
    >>>people who know how it should be done but
    >>>haven't actually done it.)
    >>>
    >>> Mason C

    >>I've actually imported Opera bookmarks before. It was a while ago, so I
    >>installed Opera again and tried it again just for the hell of it (and
    >>then quickly uninstalled it because I hate it).
    >>
    >>In the past I needed to use Bookmark Converter, but I successfully
    >>imported the Opera bookmarks this time with just Firefox's import
    >>function. I opened the Bookmark Manager, then File >> Import >> Opera.
    >> And then Firefox put all the Opera bookmarks in a folder called "From
    >>Opera".
    >>
    >>I also tried using Bookmark Converter today, and it still works too.
    >>
    >>Opera BM:
    >>http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/images/temp/operamanager.png
    >>
    >>Firefox BM:
    >>http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/images/temp/ffmanager.png

    > Thank you for Brian. I believe you. But my
    > "Firefox version 1.0 Preview Release" recently downloaded
    > simply does not recognize the existence of Opera.
    > It does recognize MSIE, Netscape 4,6,7 and Mozilla.
    > And offers to load from "File".
    >
    > I removed and reinstalled Firefox to no avail.
    >
    > I tried Bookmark Converter up down and sideways to
    > no avail.
    >
    > There is an "Opera6.html" which is my Opera bookmarks.
    > I've tried putting it whereever to no avail.
    >
    > I'm all out of avails.
    >
    > Thanks anyway.
    >
    > Mason c
    >
    > P.S. I love Opera. I can't imagine why you hate it.

    Maybe this is the problem. Your using FF1.0PR, and I'm on FF1.0 final.
    In my version, Opera is an option for importing bookmarks.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 19, 2004
  12. Mason A. Clark

    Brian Guest

    (On 11/19/2004 12:52 PM) Mason A. Clark wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:40:49 -0500, :: BRIAN :: <user@127.0.1.1> wrote:
    >

    >>(On 11/18/2004 4:35 PM) Mason A. Clark wrote:

    >>>Thanks for the suggestions. I've obeyed them all.
    >>>
    >>>Nothing works. I can make an operax.html file but
    >>>putting it somewhere doesn't work. I can replace
    >>>the supposed firefox bookmark.html to no avail.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone here got any genuine avails?
    >>>
    >>>(I *suspect* that I have gotten advice from
    >>>people who know how it should be done but
    >>>haven't actually done it.)
    >>>
    >>> Mason C

    >>I've actually imported Opera bookmarks before. It was a while ago, so I
    >>installed Opera again and tried it again just for the hell of it (and
    >>then quickly uninstalled it because I hate it).
    >>
    >>In the past I needed to use Bookmark Converter, but I successfully
    >>imported the Opera bookmarks this time with just Firefox's import
    >>function. I opened the Bookmark Manager, then File >> Import >> Opera.
    >> And then Firefox put all the Opera bookmarks in a folder called "From
    >>Opera".
    >>
    >>I also tried using Bookmark Converter today, and it still works too.
    >>
    >>Opera BM:
    >>http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/images/temp/operamanager.png
    >>
    >>Firefox BM:
    >>http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/images/temp/ffmanager.png

    > Thank you for Brian. I believe you. But my
    > "Firefox version 1.0 Preview Release" recently downloaded
    > simply does not recognize the existence of Opera.
    > It does recognize MSIE, Netscape 4,6,7 and Mozilla.
    > And offers to load from "File".
    >
    > I removed and reinstalled Firefox to no avail.

    I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Maybe it is a problem with
    the 0.10 PR version; the Opera import works with version 1.0.

    > I tried Bookmark Converter up down and sideways to
    > no avail.

    Open Opera and export your bookmarks; Open Bookmark Converter, select
    Opera and browse for the .adr file you just exported; select Firefox for
    the Bookmark Target and point to a save location for bookmark.html; open
    FF >> BM >> Import from File >> Point to bookmark.html file you just
    saved Bookmark Converter.

    > There is an "Opera6.html" which is my Opera bookmarks.
    > I've tried putting it whereever to no avail.

    Opera doesn't export its bookmarks in a .html file; they are in a .adr file.

    > P.S. I love Opera. I can't imagine why you hate it.

    Maybe I'm too used to the way Mozilla and FF work... but I can't stand
    Opera. It's too cluttered for me... too much stuff. And it doesn't
    work correctly with my work email, which I access from Outlook Web Access.

    --
    Brian

    Email Info--
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    Brian, Nov 20, 2004
  13. On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:52:39 -0500, Brian <home@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    --- clipped to the essence ---

    >XX Open Opera and export your bookmarks; Open Bookmark Converter, select
    >XX Opera and browse for the .adr file you just exported; select Firefox for
    >XX the Bookmark Target and point to a save location for bookmark.html; open
    >XX FF >> BM >> Import from File >> Point to bookmark.html file you just
    >XX saved Bookmark Converter.
    >
    >Opera doesn't export its bookmarks in a .html file; they are in a .adr file.
    >
    >> P.S. I love Opera. I can't imagine why you hate it.

    >Maybe I'm too used to the way Mozilla and FF work... but I can't stand
    >Opera. It's too cluttered for me... too much stuff. And it doesn't
    >work correctly with my work email, which I access from Outlook Web Access.

    Wow! It worked. The ">XX ..." instructions.

    Thank you Brian. I love you. My family loves you.
    And Opera... well not sure... maybe Firefox loves you.

    Opera may seem cluttered with its many options but once
    you learn them you can make Opera do whatever you want.
    However Opera does *not* work on certain sites, especially
    certain bank sites -- why I want Firefox (and trashing MSIE).

    (I use only Eudora for mail and Agent for usenet.)

    Thanks again all of you,

    Mason C http://masonc.home.netcom.com
    Mason A. Clark, Nov 20, 2004