Opera Browser

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by UM, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. UM

    UM Guest

    Today I tried the Opera Web browser, and I must say
    I'm fully convinced and have switched from IE to Opera.

    In IE (and OE, and nearly all "software" of Microsoft)
    nearly every click on any link starts some external plugins/
    DLLs/OCX etc. etc. to collect data, and which nowadays
    have become the most dangerous things for virus
    installations/distributions and spyware backdoors.
    My concern was especially the security issues plus privacy.
    It is a shameful practice by some (too many!) companies
    on the net to collect horrible sum of data from each
    surfer secretly and hiddenly by the above mentioned
    methods. I've analyzed what network traffic and program
    modules each click on a web page (even locally stored
    HTMLs! ) hiddenly do. You won't believe it if you haven't
    analyzed it yourself! I can only say: be very very cautious
    when you click on any link in this WWW jungle of nowadys!

    In Opera these threats are minimal as far as I could see it;
    I guess maybe 1% compared to Microsoft's IE.

    Regarding privacy: just read Opera's privacy policy plus
    their partner's Google's; they are fair and user friendly.

    BTW, Opera is an example for a modern software: everything
    is flexible, resizeable, individually configurable, modular, ...

    And, I'm planning also to replace my Win2K with Linux.
    BTW, I'm "Microsoft Certified System Egineer" :), so I
    really know of what I'm talking of... :)

    UM
    UM, Feb 9, 2004

  2. UM

    Leythos Guest

    In article <c095ld$7o8$07$-online.com>, 520001085531-0001@t-
    online.de says...
    > In Opera these threats are minimal as far as I could see it;
    > I guess maybe 1% compared to Microsoft's IE.

    These threats are minimal, only if you don't use the added functionality
    that is provided with IE as a client for applications. Opera is not a
    replacement for IE, but for people that only play on the web, it does
    well most of the time.

    > BTW, Opera is an example for a modern software: everything
    > is flexible, resizeable, individually configurable, modular, ...
    >
    > And, I'm planning also to replace my Win2K with Linux.
    > BTW, I'm "Microsoft Certified System Egineer" :), so I
    > really know of what I'm talking of... :)

    If you were a MCSE you would not be trolling like this. Each browser has
    it's purpose, as does each OS. Some shops will want IE since it allows
    perfect integration with OWA and other custom apps they've built on .Net
    servers. Some shops don't care and have the staff to support mixed
    platforms.

    What people, and designers (even MCSE's) have to learn is that there is
    no "one best" solution for every installation. Sometimes it's related to
    ROI, sometimes it's related to comfort, sometimes it's related to
    marketing hype. In a few cases, a OS and platform as selected based on
    the actual customer needs an impact on the customer.

    As an example, for businesses, I would never install Linux on the
    desktop, but servers, most of them, could be Linux based.

    For home users, the non-MCSE ones, I would never install Linux. Most
    people, home users, are not technical enough to be productive with a
    linux install, and most of them have already started on the MS platform.
    For the technical home user I would suggest dual systems - one MS XP
    Prof and one RH 9, to give them the best of both worlds.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Feb 9, 2004

  3. UM

    Leythos Guest

    In article <1103_1076372940@Loud_Belch>, says...
    > The last time I used IE I had to crash out of it when I discovered
    > it was downloading some plug-in without my permission. That
    > is totally unacceptable. IE remains installed on my machine,
    > but seldom clicked!

    You can disable all of those Nasty things and run in secure mode when
    playing around on the web, and then put the sites you trust in the
    Trusted Zone and you get full use of IE without the headaches when on
    play/spam sites.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Feb 10, 2004
  4. UM

    Kerodo Guest

    UM wrote:
    > Today I tried the Opera Web browser, and I must say
    > I'm fully convinced and have switched from IE to Opera.
    >
    > In IE (and OE, and nearly all "software" of Microsoft)
    > nearly every click on any link starts some external plugins/
    > DLLs/OCX etc. etc. to collect data, and which nowadays
    > have become the most dangerous things for virus
    > installations/distributions and spyware backdoors.
    > My concern was especially the security issues plus privacy.
    > It is a shameful practice by some (too many!) companies
    > on the net to collect horrible sum of data from each
    > surfer secretly and hiddenly by the above mentioned
    > methods. I've analyzed what network traffic and program
    > modules each click on a web page (even locally stored
    > HTMLs! ) hiddenly do. You won't believe it if you haven't
    > analyzed it yourself! I can only say: be very very cautious
    > when you click on any link in this WWW jungle of nowadys!
    >
    > In Opera these threats are minimal as far as I could see it;
    > I guess maybe 1% compared to Microsoft's IE.
    >
    > Regarding privacy: just read Opera's privacy policy plus
    > their partner's Google's; they are fair and user friendly.
    >
    > BTW, Opera is an example for a modern software: everything
    > is flexible, resizeable, individually configurable, modular, ...
    >
    > And, I'm planning also to replace my Win2K with Linux.
    > BTW, I'm "Microsoft Certified System Egineer" :), so I
    > really know of what I'm talking of... :)
    >
    > UM

    Go here and run all tests... http://bcheck.scanit.be

    Opera fails some of the security tests.. Mozilla or the newly named
    Firefox would probably be a better choice...
    Kerodo, Feb 10, 2004
  5. UM

    Zebulon Blah Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:32:50 +0100, "UM" <> wrote:
    > Today I tried the Opera Web browser, and I must say
    > I'm fully convinced and have switched from IE to Opera.

    Before you totally abandon IE, you should know that there are
    quite a few web sites out there that will only run properly on
    IE. Opera will occasionally object, usually by freezing up, so
    if you want to see that web site you MUST use IE. My
    policy nowadays is to stay away from IE-only sites unless
    there is no other choice.

    Most government / university / travel websites work fine on Opera,
    it's only the heavily commercial sites with lots of flashy
    whizz-bangs that spook Opera.

    Zebulon Blah, Feb 10, 2004
  6. UM

    philo Guest

    "UM" <> wrote in message
    > Today I tried the Opera Web browser, and I must say
    > I'm fully convinced and have switched from IE to Opera.

    I checked your headers
    you're not using Opera
    philo, Feb 10, 2004
  7. "UM" <> wrote in message news:c095ld$7o8$07$-online.com...

    [snip]

    > And, I'm planning also to replace my Win2K with Linux.
    > BTW, I'm "Microsoft Certified System Egineer" :), so I
    > really know of what I'm talking of... :)

    Another Microsoft Certified System egg-in-ear. ;o)

    Why don't you go dual boot? W2K is imo the best
    OS to ever come from Microsoft.

    ....maybe that's not saying much, but Linux can co-exist with
    other OSes - so why not.
    FromTheRafters, Feb 10, 2004
  8. UM

    UM Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "UM" <> wrote in message
    > > Today I tried the Opera Web browser, and I must say
    > > I'm fully convinced and have switched from IE to Opera.

    > I checked your headers
    > you're not using Opera

    Sure I do use the Opera Browser. But you mean Mail and News,
    yes this I'm going to switch too.
    UM, Feb 10, 2004
  9. UM

    ÿówiè Guest

    UM said in alt.privacy.spyware...
    > Today I tried the Opera Web browser, and I must say
    > I'm fully convinced and have switched from IE to Opera.
    >
    > In IE (and OE, and nearly all "software" of Microsoft)
    > nearly every click on any link starts some external plugins/
    > DLLs/OCX etc. etc. to collect data, and which nowadays
    > have become the most dangerous things for virus
    > installations/distributions and spyware backdoors.
    > My concern was especially the security issues plus privacy.
    > It is a shameful practice by some (too many!) companies
    > on the net to collect horrible sum of data from each
    > surfer secretly and hiddenly by the above mentioned
    > methods. I've analyzed what network traffic and program
    > modules each click on a web page (even locally stored
    > HTMLs! ) hiddenly do. You won't believe it if you haven't
    > analyzed it yourself! I can only say: be very very cautious
    > when you click on any link in this WWW jungle of nowadys!
    >
    > In Opera these threats are minimal as far as I could see it;
    > I guess maybe 1% compared to Microsoft's IE.
    >
    > Regarding privacy: just read Opera's privacy policy plus
    > their partner's Google's; they are fair and user friendly.
    >
    > BTW, Opera is an example for a modern software: everything
    > is flexible, resizeable, individually configurable, modular, ...

    Tried Mozilla Firebird? It offers the security advantages you mentioned
    above and it's free. I used Opera on and off for years (versions 2.x
    through 7.x) but finally abandoned it a few months ago when Firebird
    became sufficiently stable to use in the real world.

    Also, Opera 7 seemed to have a memory leak. After a couple of hours of
    continuous use it ate up all available memory and crashed.

    If Opera were released in a free 'light' version without the pathetic
    mail and news clients & Java I might look at it again.

    --
    Rev. yowie - ULC 1999 - JRA #1

    'I doesn't have "to make sense" Yowie!'
    -Pastor Frank
    ÿówiè, Feb 10, 2004
  10. UM

    UM Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1103_1076372940@Loud_Belch>, says...
    > > The last time I used IE I had to crash out of it when I discovered
    > > it was downloading some plug-in without my permission. That
    > > is totally unacceptable. IE remains installed on my machine,
    > > but seldom clicked!

    > You can disable all of those Nasty things and run in secure mode when
    > playing around on the web, and then put the sites you trust in the
    > Trusted Zone and you get full use of IE without the headaches when on
    > play/spam sites.

    It is not the point. The point is security and what gets collected
    and sent to outside and v.v. hiddenly without your permission
    and knowledge. It is espionage what these gangsters are doing.
    The justice and the lawmakers seem too sleep.

    My practical advice to you is: just do it yourself and analyze
    the result for example with a good personal firewall software
    or packet capture tool. You will be surprized what traffic is
    generated, which sites are contacted (besides DNS), and
    which data is collected with _EACH CLICK_ on a link (either
    left or right click). Simply said: every click you do is recorded
    and sent to some collecting sites. Don't get me wrong: it is
    not simply the link adress what they collect, your environment
    and personal data gets sent out too, and data put on your
    machine, useful (of course for them), and unuseful things like
    viruses, trojans, spyware etc.! This all happens just between
    the click and right before the new page gets displayed.
    Then you will also understand why the World Wide Wait Web
    has become so slow... :)

    Using IE (and generally all MS Web applications) is the
    highest security risk on net one can ever imagine. Trust me!

    The best would be going back to Gopher :)

    UM
    UM, Feb 10, 2004
  11. UM

    Jack Purvis Guest

    If you like Opera then try out Mozilla Firebird. It's better and
    faster and it's free!

    Jack Purvis, Feb 10, 2004
  12. UM

    ÿówiè Guest

    UM said in alt.privacy.spyware...
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "UM" <> wrote in message
    > > > Today I tried the Opera Web browser, and I must say
    > > > I'm fully convinced and have switched from IE to Opera.

    > > I checked your headers
    > > you're not using Opera

    > Sure I do use the Opera Browser. But you mean Mail and News,
    > yes this I'm going to switch too.

    Nothing but frustration there. The mail/news stuff in Opera sucks.

    Calypso or Pegasus for mail - Gravity for Usenet. All free.

    ÿówiè, Feb 10, 2004
  13. UM

    Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 16:28:02 -0800, Kerodo
    <> wrote:

    >UM wrote:
    >> Today I tried the Opera Web browser, and I must say
    >> I'm fully convinced and have switched from IE to Opera.
    >>

    >Go here and run all tests... http://bcheck.scanit.be

    I got a 403 'forbidden' at this site.
    , Feb 10, 2004
  14. UM

    koorb Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:44:00 +1100, Jack Purvis
    <> wrote:

    >If you like Opera then try out Mozilla Firebird. It's better and
    >faster and it's free!

    True, but it's now called FireFox.
    koorb, Feb 10, 2004
  15. UM

    Clive Guest

    "UM" <> wrote in message
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "UM" <> wrote in message
    > > > Today I tried the Opera Web browser, and I must say
    > > > I'm fully convinced and have switched from IE to Opera.

    > > I checked your headers
    > > you're not using Opera

    > Sure I do use the Opera Browser. But you mean Mail and News,
    > yes this I'm going to switch too.

    I use to use Opera. then went back to IE. If you intend to use to email News
    options in Opera and you've been using Microsoft email/news products; be
    ready for a long learning curve.

    Another major thing (which I don't like) are thing like anti spam and anti
    virus software. Most work fine with Microsoft products i.e. Outlook, ect,
    etc.

    Make sure any anti virus packages you use for your current email program
    will work with Opera and it's M2 mail system.

    I was determined to like and use Opera and gave it a good long try, but the
    lack of support and availability of third party products for it drove me
    back to IE, Outlook ,etc

    Clive
    Clive, Feb 10, 2004
  16. UM

    Dazz Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:32:50 +0100, "UM"
    <> wrote:

    <snipped>

    >And, I'm planning also to replace my Win2K with Linux.
    >BTW, I'm "Microsoft Certified System Egineer" :), so I
    >really know of what I'm talking of... :)

    Really?

    That's funny, because most (but not all) MCSE's I've come across don't
    know shit. :)

    Dazz

    Dazz, Feb 10, 2004
  17. UM

    Clive Guest

    "Clive" <> wrote in message

    > "UM" <> wrote in message
    > > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "UM" <> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > > I checked your headers
    > > > you're not using Opera

    > > Sure I do use the Opera Browser. But you mean Mail and News,
    > > yes this I'm going to switch too.
    > >

    > I use to use Opera. then went back to IE. If you intend to use to email

    News
    > options in Opera and you've been using Microsoft email/news products; be
    > ready for a long learning curve.
    >
    > Another major thing (which I don't like) are thing like anti spam and anti
    > virus software. Most work fine with Microsoft products i.e. Outlook, ect,
    > etc.
    >
    > Make sure any anti virus packages you use for your current email program
    > will work with Opera and it's M2 mail system.
    >
    > I was determined to like and use Opera and gave it a good long try, but

    the
    > lack of support and availability of third party products for it drove me
    > back to IE, Outlook ,etc
    >
    > Clive

    Another thing I forgot, if you use any online banking then check Opera, or
    any other browser will work. I tried Mozill 1.6 and it isn't supported by my
    bank

    CLive

    Clive, Feb 10, 2004
  18. Leythos <> wrote in news:MPG.1a91efb620a0ba1a98a176@news-
    server.columbus.rr.com:

    > In article <1103_1076372940@Loud_Belch>, says...
    >> The last time I used IE I had to crash out of it when I discovered
    >> it was downloading some plug-in without my permission. That
    >> is totally unacceptable. IE remains installed on my machine,
    >> but seldom clicked!

    > You can disable all of those Nasty things and run in secure mode when
    > playing around on the web, and then put the sites you trust in the
    > Trusted Zone and you get full use of IE without the headaches when on
    > play/spam sites.

    The trusted zone list asks for https\www. If I surf over the the same site
    and it has http\www am I in the trusted zone?
    General Specific, Feb 10, 2004
  19. UM

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Xns948B57D0B3CFDaaa@207.106.92.226>, says...
    > Leythos <> wrote in news:MPG.1a91efb620a0ba1a98a176@news-
    > server.columbus.rr.com:
    >
    > > In article <1103_1076372940@Loud_Belch>, says...
    > >> The last time I used IE I had to crash out of it when I discovered
    > >> it was downloading some plug-in without my permission. That
    > >> is totally unacceptable. IE remains installed on my machine,
    > >> but seldom clicked!

    > > You can disable all of those Nasty things and run in secure mode when
    > > playing around on the web, and then put the sites you trust in the
    > > Trusted Zone and you get full use of IE without the headaches when on
    > > play/spam sites.
    > >

    > The trusted zone list asks for https\www. If I surf over the the same site
    > and it has http\www am I in the trusted zone?

    If you uncheck the ensure SSL or certificate or something (lower left
    corner) it will allow you to use standard HTTP sites just fine. Just
    make sure that you are only entering sites that you should be trusting
    or you are going to be much worse off than before.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Feb 10, 2004
  20. UM

    Conor Guest

    In article <1103_1076372940@Loud_Belch>, says...

    > Before you totally abandon IE, you should know that there are
    > quite a few web sites out there that will only run properly on
    > IE.

    Seconded. My online banking being one of them. Opera is good but you
    still need IE for all those idiot sites.

    --
    Conor

    "The vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world.
    And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice."
    - George Bush
    Conor, Feb 10, 2004