    solution bookmarked, must have had a senior moment.
    --
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Jan 12, 2008

  2. grumpyoldhori

    Justin Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:
    > Could I have a word of advice about hooking my wife's
    > older machine up to her Chimei CMV lcd monitor.
    >
    > Keeps telling me the computer is out of range, had the
    > solution bookmarked, must have had a senior moment.

    Reduce refesh rate on video card. Most LCDs can only handle 60-75Hz
    Justin, Jan 12, 2008

  3. In article <478892f0$>, Justin did write:

    > Reduce refesh rate on video card. Most LCDs can only handle 60-75Hz

    I don't think vertical refresh really matters for LCD. Leave it at 60 Hz.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2008
  4. On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:30:18 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> Reduce refesh rate on video card. Most LCDs can only handle 60-75Hz

    > I don't think vertical refresh really matters for LCD.

    That is because LC displays are so slow to respond.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 12, 2008
  5. grumpyoldhori

    Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:35:39 +1300, grumpyoldhori <> wrote:

    >Could I have a word of advice about hooking my wife's
    >older machine up to her Chimei CMV lcd monitor.
    >
    > Keeps telling me the computer is out of range, had the
    > solution bookmarked, must have had a senior moment.

    Connect back to the CRT Monitor and set the screed mode to match one of the LCD modes, don't forget
    the 60hz or 75hz frame rate normal for LCD monitors.
    , Jan 12, 2008
  6. grumpyoldhori

    Guest

    On 12 Jan 2008 23:46:56 +1300, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:30:18 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>> Reduce refesh rate on video card. Most LCDs can only handle 60-75Hz

    >> I don't think vertical refresh really matters for LCD.

    >That is because LC displays are so slow to respond.

    Crap CRT have to be scanned LCD do not..
    , Jan 12, 2008
  7. wrote:

    > Connect back to the CRT Monitor and set the screed mode  to match one of
    > the LCD modes, don't forget the  60hz or 75hz frame rate normal for LCD
    > monitors.

    Thank you gentlemen that got it.
    --
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Jan 12, 2008
  8. grumpyoldhori

    sam Guest

    wrote:

    >>> I don't think vertical refresh really matters for LCD.

    >> That is because LC displays are so slow to respond.

    > Crap CRT have to be scanned LCD do not..

    Yeah, you got it.
    David never will.
    sam, Jan 12, 2008
  9. In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:30:18 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>> Reduce refesh rate on video card. Most LCDs can only handle 60-75Hz

    >> I don't think vertical refresh really matters for LCD.

    > That is because LC displays are so slow to respond.

    No, it's because they don't scan.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 13, 2008
  10. On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:25:53 +1300, noone wrote:

    >>> I don't think vertical refresh really matters for LCD.

    >>That is because LC displays are so slow to respond.

    > Crap CRT have to be scanned LCD do not..

    I wasn't referring to the fact that an electron beam has to scan across
    the cathode ray tube. I was referring to the slowness of how Liquid
    Crystal Diodes respond to changes of state.

    The reason why they do not have high refresh rates for LCD displays is
    because those devices physically cannot have refresh rates that high -
    that is, unless there has been some good improvements in LCD technology
    recently.

    Also, LCDs cannot display as wide a range of colours as can CRT displays
    - again unless there has been some good improvement in LCD technology
    recently.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 13, 2008
  11. On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:13:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> I don't think vertical refresh really matters for LCD.

    >> That is because LC displays are so slow to respond.

    > No, it's because they don't scan.

    I know they don't scan an electron beam.

    But the display has to refresh/change if there is to be any alteration in
    what is being displayed. The Liquid Crystal Diodes are the limitation on
    how quickly such a display can change state.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 13, 2008
  12. In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    >>> That is because LC displays are so slow to respond.

    >> No, it's because they don't scan.

    > But the display has to refresh/change if there is to be any alteration in
    > what is being displayed. The Liquid Crystal Diodes are the limitation on
    > how quickly such a display can change state.

    Current displays have response times of 8ms or less. That's 125fps or more.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 13, 2008
  13. On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:28:51 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> But the display has to refresh/change if there is to be any alteration
    >> in what is being displayed. The Liquid Crystal Diodes are the
    >> limitation on how quickly such a display can change state.

    > Current displays have response times of 8ms or less. That's 125fps or
    > more.

    Well that's a good improvement in refresh rate. I wasn't aware of such an
    improvement.

    Has the gamut of colours likewise improved? Or is it sill worse than what
    you can get from a CRT?

    And, if the new LCD displays have such fast refresh rates, why can't they
    take higher than 75fps?

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 13, 2008
  14. In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:28:51 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>> But the display has to refresh/change if there is to be any alteration
    >>> in what is being displayed. The Liquid Crystal Diodes are the
    >>> limitation on how quickly such a display can change state.

    >> Current displays have response times of 8ms or less. That's 125fps or
    >> more.

    > Well that's a good improvement in refresh rate.

    No it's not. "Refresh rate" is irrelevant to CRTs, because they
    don't "refresh".
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 13, 2008
  15. grumpyoldhori

    Murray Symon Guest

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:28:51 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>> But the display has to refresh/change if there is to be any alteration
    >>> in what is being displayed. The Liquid Crystal Diodes are the
    >>> limitation on how quickly such a display can change state.

    >> Current displays have response times of 8ms or less. That's 125fps or
    >> more.

    > Well that's a good improvement in refresh rate. I wasn't aware of such an
    > improvement.

    [snip]

    > And, if the new LCD displays have such fast refresh rates, why can't they
    > take higher than 75fps?

    The concept is irrelevant, as the technology is completely different.
    Murray Symon, Jan 13, 2008
  16. On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:15:07 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

    >> And, if the new LCD displays have such fast refresh rates, why can't
    >> they take higher than 75fps?
    >>

    > The concept is irrelevant, as the technology is completely different.

    In what way is it irrelevant to display higher frame rates?

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 13, 2008
  17. On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:55:41 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Current displays have response times of 8ms or less. That's 125fps or
    >>> more.

    >> Well that's a good improvement in refresh rate.

    > No it's not. "Refresh rate" is irrelevant to CRTs, because they don't
    > "refresh".

    well, what tells any given pixel what and when to change what it is
    doing? And what do you call it if it is not refreshing the information
    being displayed by that LCD?

    BTW, I *know* the technology is different. I *know* it is based on Liquie
    Crystal diodes, and not based on phosphors coating a surface that are
    needing to be re-excited by a stream of electrons.

    Somewhere inside the monitor there WILL be something that gets refreshed
    on a regular basis with new/updated information from the video card.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 13, 2008
  18. In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    >>> Well that's a good improvement in refresh rate.

    >> No it's not. "Refresh rate" is irrelevant to CRTs, because they don't
    >> "refresh".

    > well, what tells any given pixel what and when to change what it is
    > doing? And what do you call it if it is not refreshing the information
    > being displayed by that LCD?

    "Refreshing" is a concept specific to CRT technology, where it has to keep
    drawing on the screen with the electron beam, even if the image isn't
    changing, otherwise it will disappear.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 13, 2008
  19. grumpyoldhori

    Guest

    On 13 Jan 2008 14:14:04 +1300, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <> wrote:

    >>>That is because LC displays are so slow to respond.

    >> Crap CRT have to be scanned LCD do not..

    >I wasn't referring to the fact that an electron beam has to scan across
    >the cathode ray tube. I was referring to the slowness of how Liquid
    >Crystal Diodes respond to changes of state.
    >
    >The reason why they do not have high refresh rates for LCD displays is
    >because those devices physically cannot have refresh rates that high -
    >that is, unless there has been some good improvements in LCD technology
    >recently.
    >
    >Also, LCDs cannot display as wide a range of colours as can CRT displays
    >- again unless there has been some good improvement in LCD technology
    >recently.

    The Sony LCD TV's have more colour's than a CRT..

    You do not need Fast refresh rate as LCD screens work in a different way so no need for fast
    refresh rates, Plus your eyes do not need fast refresh rates, but with monitors they do to improve
    flicker affects.

    Please don't forget that a Movie is some 35 frames per sec..
    , Jan 13, 2008
  20. grumpyoldhori

    Guest

    On 13 Jan 2008 14:42:52 +1300, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <> wrote:

    >>> That is because LC displays are so slow to respond.

    >> No, it's because they don't scan.

    >I know they don't scan an electron beam.
    >
    >But the display has to refresh/change if there is to be any alteration in
    >what is being displayed. The Liquid Crystal Diodes are the limitation on
    >how quickly such a display can change state.

    So 2Ms is = to 500Hz refresh rate. is that not fast enough, ? the average LCD Monitors are
    about 8ms so that equals to some 125 Hz refresh rate..

    In Fact LCD monitors are so Fast that they use Pixel switching ( Dithering) to get 16 mil colors
    when the monitor only has 262K colour's..

    So if the monitor specs show 16.2 Mil Colour's is using Dithering to make those colors for the
    262K colour LCD panel..

    Dithering.

    http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDColor.htm

    http://www.behardware.com/articles/498-8/lcd-screens-in-a-nutshell.html