OpenSSH on Windows Syntax question.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by perr, Jan 18, 2008.

  1. perr

    perr Guest

    Hi all,
    This is my first posting and I have a newbie question please bear with
    me. I have successfully installed OpenSSH(on my second domain
    controller) and now I am trying to add a user to the passwd file. The
    environment is a Windows 2003R2 domain with two domain controllers and
    the user is a domain user. The network is working fine and the two
    servers have no problems talking to each other.
    The two problems I have are,
    1. The user I am trying to add is a Windows domain user
    2. The username has a space in between the first name and last name.
    The syntax I used is as following from the command line
    C:\Program Files\OpenSSH\bin>mkpasswd -d -u test user >> ..\etc\passwd

    After a few seconds........ I get the below,

    mkpasswd: [2453] Could not find domain controller for this domain.

    I am pretty much aware that this is a syntax problem but I cant seem to
    find any answers especially with regards to this on the net. Thanks in
    advance

    cheers

    Ravin P

    View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=37034
    http://www.wirelessforums.org

    perr, Jan 18, 2008

  2. perr

    Todd H. Guest

    perr <> writes:

    > Hi all,
    > This is my first posting and I have a newbie question please bear with
    > me. I have successfully installed OpenSSH(on my second domain
    > controller) and now I am trying to add a user to the passwd file. The
    > environment is a Windows 2003R2 domain with two domain controllers and
    > the user is a domain user. The network is working fine and the two
    > servers have no problems talking to each other.
    > The two problems I have are,
    > 1. The user I am trying to add is a Windows domain user
    > 2. The username has a space in between the first name and last name.
    > The syntax I used is as following from the command line
    > C:\Program Files\OpenSSH\bin>mkpasswd -d -u test user >> ..\etc\passwd
    >
    > After a few seconds........ I get the below,
    >
    > mkpasswd: [2453] Could not find domain controller for this domain.
    >
    > I am pretty much aware that this is a syntax problem but I cant seem to
    > find any answers especially with regards to this on the net. Thanks in
    > advance

    Hi Ravin,

    To deal with the space (ugh) in the username, either wrap the argument
    in double or single quotes "like this" or 'like this' or prepend a
    backslash to the space to "escape" the space so the command processor
    doesn't see it as an argument separator:
    like\ this

    This is not an ssh trick, it's a general command processor/shell
    dealio.

    There is an ssh newsgroup that'll be more focused to your concerns for
    follow on questions, for what it's worth: comp.security.ssh

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/