OpenSER ? why ?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Steve, Aug 27, 2008.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi,

    I always wonder what is the benefit to use VoIP proxy server like OpenSER ?
    - what is the benefit of it ? ( I am not sure to see this )
    Why not to use a simple Asterisk server can do the job ?

    I can see on thir website : ( http://opensips.org )
    OpenSIPS (Open SIP Server) is a mature Open Source implementation of a
    SIP server. OpenSIPS is more than a SIP proxy/router as it includes
    application-level functionalities. OpenSIPS, as a SIP server, is the
    core component of any SIP-based VoIP solution. With a very flexible and
    customizable routing engine, OpenSIPS 'unifies voice, video, IM and
    presence services in a highly efficient way, thanks to its scalable
    (modular) design.

    - Should it be the solution of all the problems, that we can have with
    Router, NAT etc.... ?

    Thanks for your help

    Steve, Aug 27, 2008

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Andy Burns wrote:
    > On 27/08/2008 10:58, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> I always wonder what is the benefit to use VoIP proxy server like
    >> OpenSER ?
    >> Why not to use a simple Asterisk server can do the job ?

    > Asterisk is not a SIP proxy, if for example you receive an VoIP inbound
    > call, and want to divert it to a VoIP extension, all the RTP traffic
    > will pass through asterisk for the duration of the call.
    >
    > I believe openSER can setup the call during the SIP negotiation phase so
    > that the calling party directly contacts the diverted extension once the
    > call is answered and RTP data starts flowing.
    >
    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk SIP not-proxy
    >
    > However if you used openSER you wouldn't have the DTMF/IVR processing
    > that asterisk would give you, as you wouldn't be "hearing" the RTP
    > traffic at all ..

    Thanks for your reply.

    I just had a look on Voip-Info. They also mentioned some other SIP proxies.

    Do you mean, that with SIP proxy, we can more easily manage RTP packages ??
    What is the benefit ? ( I can manage RTP packages , for an optimisation
    I prioritized the ports difnined into my RTP.conf .... )

    Steve, Aug 28, 2008

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Andy Burns wrote:
    >> On 27/08/2008 10:58, Steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> I always wonder what is the benefit to use VoIP proxy server like
    >>> OpenSER ?
    >>> Why not to use a simple Asterisk server can do the job ?

    >> Asterisk is not a SIP proxy, if for example you receive an VoIP inbound
    >> call, and want to divert it to a VoIP extension, all the RTP traffic
    >> will pass through asterisk for the duration of the call.
    >>
    >> I believe openSER can setup the call during the SIP negotiation phase so
    >> that the calling party directly contacts the diverted extension once the
    >> call is answered and RTP data starts flowing.
    >>
    >> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk SIP not-proxy
    >>
    >> However if you used openSER you wouldn't have the DTMF/IVR processing
    >> that asterisk would give you, as you wouldn't be "hearing" the RTP
    >> traffic at all ..
    >>

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I just had a look on Voip-Info. They also mentioned some other SIP proxies.
    >
    > Do you mean, that with SIP proxy, we can more easily manage RTP packages ??
    > What is the benefit ? ( I can manage RTP packages , for an optimisation
    > I prioritized the ports difnined into my RTP.conf .... )

    Just a precision...

    Yes, you are right. THe communicaiton will go through Asterisk IF the
    Asterisk server are behind a NAT. If not, The RTP packets, can go
    directly through the other SIP phone without going to Asterisk first

    - Can I have OpenSER WIHTOUT Asterisk ???? ( If I can register to
    OpenSER, no need to register to Asterisk ?!!?

    Steve, Aug 28, 2008
  4. Steve

    Tim Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > - Can I have OpenSER WIHTOUT Asterisk ???? ( If I can register to
    > OpenSER, no need to register to Asterisk ?!!?

    Yes.

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 29, 2008
  5. Steve

    alexd Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:21:34 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

    > Asterisk is not a SIP proxy, if for example you receive an VoIP inbound
    > call, and want to divert it to a VoIP extension, all the RTP traffic
    > will pass through asterisk for the duration of the call.

    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk SIP not-proxy

    Oddly enough, that link you've posted doesn't mention that this behaviour
    is configurable:

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk sip canreinvite

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:29:21 up 49 days, 1:07, 2 users, load average: 0.16, 0.08, 0.06

    alexd, Aug 29, 2008