  1. Some are accusing the Ooo interface designers of aping Microsoft's ribbon
    interface, and furthermore opining that it's a step backwards
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3649>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 6, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:h5dea1$sko$...
    > Some are accusing the Ooo interface designers of aping Microsoft's
    > ribbon
    > interface, and furthermore opining that it's a step backwards
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3649>.

    Hard to see how they *aren't* just copying MS design and always have -
    do you have a problem with that?

    Definitely a big backward step from my perspective if they move to a
    ribbon approach though.

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min probably much longer).

    Alan, Aug 6, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 7, 8:47 am, "Alan" <> wrote:
    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > messagenews:h5dea1$sko$...
    >
    > > Some are accusing the Ooo interface designers of aping Microsoft's
    > > ribbon
    > > interface, and furthermore opining that it's a step backwards
    > > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3649>.

    > Hard to see how they *aren't* just copying MS design and always have -
    > do you have a problem with that?
    >
    > Definitely a big backward step from my perspective if they move to a
    > ribbon approach though.
    >
    > Alan.

    Agreed on both points. Office 2007 is unusable. What on earth were
    they thinking?

    JohnO, Aug 6, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    PeeCee Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    On Aug 7, 8:47 am, "Alan" <> wrote:
    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > messagenews:h5dea1$sko$...
    >
    > > Some are accusing the Ooo interface designers of aping Microsoft's
    > > ribbon
    > > interface, and furthermore opining that it's a step backwards
    > > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3649>.

    > Hard to see how they *aren't* just copying MS design and always have -
    > do you have a problem with that?
    >
    > Definitely a big backward step from my perspective if they move to a
    > ribbon approach though.
    >
    > Alan.

    Agreed on both points. Office 2007 is unusable. What on earth were
    they thinking?

    They were building it for the lowest common denominator.
    duh <insert country of choice> users!

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 7, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 7, 8:47 am, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >> messagenews:h5dea1$sko$...
    >>
    >> > Some are accusing the Ooo interface designers of aping
    >> > Microsoft's
    >> > ribbon
    >> > interface, and furthermore opining that it's a step backwards
    >> > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3649>.

    >> Hard to see how they *aren't* just copying MS design and always
    >> have -
    >> do you have a problem with that?
    >>
    >> Definitely a big backward step from my perspective if they move to
    >> ribbon approach though.
    >>
    >> Alan.
    >>

    > Agreed on both points. Office 2007 is unusable. What on earth were
    > they thinking?
    >

    > They were building it for the lowest common denominator.
    > duh <insert country of choice> users!
    >
    > Paul.

    I agree.

    I believe that the issue is that they listen to community feedback too
    much, but that tends to come from the newbies who ask for things that
    are already there.

    Therefore, their changes are driven towards people who don't use the
    software, rather than people who do.

    Why on earth they don't offer the choice of ribbon and menus I cannot
    fathom.

    Alan, Aug 9, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Aug 23, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 05:37:57 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Agreed on both points. Office 2007 is unusable. What on earth were they
    > thinking?

    They were thinking of the average dumb office worker who can't use most of the features in an average office
    productivity suite.

    Carnations, Aug 23, 2009