    Your comments would be appreciated.
    Thank You in advance.
    SMR

    Sharon Russell, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Sharon Russell

    Pauline Guest

    I downloaded Open Office last week, and it was absolutely free. I don't
    know about ordering a disk with it on, you may have to pay then. It took me
    4 hours to download on dial up, and had to use a download manager, as get
    cut off every 2 hours via my ISP. It seems very good, and is well worth the
    download, and works just as well as Office. The spreadsheet allows you to
    save as workbooks, with multiple sheets in it - unlike Works, and a
    presentation program.

    In my opinion, go ahead and get it. Pauline

    "Sharon Russell" <> wrote in message
    > Anybody using these products?
    > I hear that they can be had for "free" except for approx. $20 for shipping
    > and handling!
    > You always hear there is no such thing as "free"!
    > I understand they are supposed to be as good as Word,Excel,PowerPoint and

    be

    Pauline, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Sharon Russell wrote:
    > Anybody using these products?
    > I hear that they can be had for "free" except for approx. $20 for shipping
    > and handling!
    > You always hear there is no such thing as "free"!
    > I understand they are supposed to be as good as Word,Excel,PowerPoint and be
    > compatible with them.

    Hi,
    you can doenload it for free here:

    http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

    (Sun offers you a package, which is based on Open Office that costs
    about 50$ here
    http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/)

    The comaptibilty to the Microsoft Products is quite good,
    especially to Word.
    The Presentation tool of OO is not as flexible as PowerPoint,
    but I advise you to just check it out,
    its just a 50Meg or so donwload!

    I use it since some time and I am fond of it.
    Especially if you need a godd Math Formula Editor, OO is great!

    Regards,
    Dani

    --
    Dani Oderbolz
    Jagowstrasse 13

    Dani Oderbolz, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Sharon Russell

    mAineAc Guest

    Sharon Russell wrote:
    > Anybody using these products?
    > I hear that they can be had for "free" except for approx. $20 for shipping
    > and handling!
    > You always hear there is no such thing as "free"!
    > I understand they are supposed to be as good as Word,Excel,PowerPoint and be
    > compatible with them.
    >
    > Your comments would be appreciated.
    > Thank You in advance.
    > SMR

    Open Office is an open source program. It is absolutely free as you
    can download an compile and change the code yourself if you wanted. It
    is also quite compatable with Microsoft Office documents. The biggest
    problem is trying to run macros because the programming for that is
    visual basic and is proprietary. You can write macros with Open Office
    though. This is a great piece of software. I personally think that Open
    Office is much easier to use if you haven't used Microsoft Office
    already because some things might not be where you expect, but I think
    that it is easier to learn overall. There is a closed source version of
    this software called Star Office that is distributed by Sun Microsystems
    that has a database and a few more tidbits. Even this software is much
    cheaper than MS office. They even have a free student version.

    mAineAc

    mAineAc, Sep 3, 2004
  5. Sharon Russell

    Alan G Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:19:20 GMT, "Sharon Russell"
    <> wrote:

    >Anybody using these products?
    >I hear that they can be had for "free" except for approx. $20 for shipping
    >and handling!

    You can download them for free from open office org

    >You always hear there is no such thing as "free"!
    >I understand they are supposed to be as good as Word,Excel,PowerPoint and be
    >compatible with them.

    I use open office on a Linux system and routinely edit files created
    in ms office and vice versa. The only problem I've come across is some
    Word templates that will not open in OO and documents containing
    visual basic modules/macros.

    Alan G, Sep 3, 2004
  6. Sharon Russell wrote:

    > Anybody using these products?

    Yes. I am one of that large group.

    > I hear that they can be had for "free" except for approx. $20 for shipping
    > and handling!

    They can be downloaded. No shipping and handling fee for that.

    > You always hear there is no such thing as "free"!

    You've been listening to MS.

    > I understand they are supposed to be as good as Word,Excel,PowerPoint and be
    > compatible with them.

    > Your comments would be appreciated.

    They work fine here. They don't crash. They don't crash my OS. Life
    is good.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Stateful Adaptive Packet Destruction Enterprise-Class Gigabit
    Intrusion Prevention System: http://snipurl.com/8j5d

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 3, 2004
  7. Sharon Russell

    EricP Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Anybody using these products?
    >I hear that they can be had for "free" except for approx. $20 for shipping
    >and handling!
    >You always hear there is no such thing as "free"!
    >I understand they are supposed to be as good as Word,Excel,PowerPoint and be
    >compatible with them.
    >
    >Your comments would be appreciated.
    >Thank You in advance.
    >SMR

    I use this all the time. MS Office is only loaded when my wife makes
    me, so she can use it. It is then quickly unloaded when she has
    finished.

    It is unbelievably good for a free product.

    EricP, Sep 3, 2004
  8. Sharon Russell wrote:
    > Anybody using these products?

    HELL, yes.. Under Win98se, FreeBSD, MacOS X....

    > I hear that they can be had for "free" except for approx. $20 for shipping
    > and handling!

    If you need the CD Shipped, yes. Otherwise download it for free. (It's
    about 200MB, so you might want to burn it to CD after to be safe.)

    > You always hear there is no such thing as "free"!

    Yup.. You also hear the expression, "There's an exception to every rule"
    - See the term LINUX or FreeBSD.

    > I understand they are supposed to be as good as Word,Excel,PowerPoint and be
    > compatible with them.

    Again, can I say better? There's almost no problem with saving files in
    an unrecognized format... Unless you REALLY try to screw it up.

    > Your comments would be appreciated.

    Well, that makes minimally 4 ppl saying they use it, and love it... What
    else you want to know, other than maybe the URL to grab a copy...
    www.openoffice.org

    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Sep 5, 2004
  9. Sharon Russell

    Guest

    > Well, that makes minimally 4 ppl saying they use it, and love it...
    > What else you want to know, other than maybe the URL to grab a copy...
    > www.openoffice.org

    Further question - is there an address to which I can send a check and
    receive a StarOffice CD? I have only a telephone line connection,
    and my last two download attempts have been 1. Slow (like filling a
    swimming pool with a garden hose) and 2. Unsuccessful (my ISP
    allows only 2 hours without a keystoke registered before disconnecting -
    Open Office takes longer to download).

    , Sep 6, 2004