    Ooo Writer document, where you can define custom tab positions etc. And use
    the format brush to quickly transfer settings from one paragraph to a bunch
    of others.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 3, 2008

  2. On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 00:03:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >I was looking at a way to automatically generate simple formatted text that
    >could be imported into OpenOffice.org 3 Writer, where I could tidy it up
    >and do some manual editing before printing it out.
    >
    >Turns out that Ooo can open HTML documents, which are easy to generate from,
    >e.g. a Python script. On the downside, there is no support for tabs and
    >rulers in such documents. Indeed, tab characters are stripped on input.
    >However, if you write the HTML entity reference " ", this is converted
    >to a tab on input and not stripped. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature
    >in Ooo. :)
    >
    >It is then easy to copy and paste text from the HTML document into a proper
    >Ooo Writer document, where you can define custom tab positions etc. And use
    >the format brush to quickly transfer settings from one paragraph to a bunch
    >of others.

    Considered using TeX/LaTeX?
    David Goodwin, Dec 3, 2008

  3. In message <>, David Goodwin wrote:

    > Considered using TeX/LaTeX?

    No.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 3, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "David Goodwin" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 00:03:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>I was looking at a way to automatically generate simple formatted text
    >>that
    >>could be imported into OpenOffice.org 3 Writer, where I could tidy it up
    >>and do some manual editing before printing it out.
    >>
    >>Turns out that Ooo can open HTML documents, which are easy to generate
    >>from,
    >>e.g. a Python script. On the downside, there is no support for tabs and
    >>rulers in such documents. Indeed, tab characters are stripped on input.
    >>However, if you write the HTML entity reference " ", this is converted
    >>to a tab on input and not stripped. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature
    >>in Ooo. :)
    >>
    >>It is then easy to copy and paste text from the HTML document into a
    >>proper
    >>Ooo Writer document, where you can define custom tab positions etc. And
    >>use
    >>the format brush to quickly transfer settings from one paragraph to a
    >>bunch
    >>of others.

    > Considered using TeX/LaTeX?

    All these hoops to jump through!

    That would explain the never-ending popularity of Microsoft Word, which
    handles the task effortlessly. No problem with tabs or any other formatting.
    It's really a shame that OO is still so klunky to work with after all this
    time. But, seriously, the days when TeX/LaTeX could be considered even
    remotely useful for producing anything besides math equations is long gone.
    impossible, Dec 4, 2008
  5. On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 01:32:37 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"David Goodwin" <> wrote in message
    >> Considered using TeX/LaTeX?

    >All these hoops to jump through!
    >
    >That would explain the never-ending popularity of Microsoft Word, which
    >handles the task effortlessly. No problem with tabs or any other formatting.
    >It's really a shame that OO is still so klunky to work with after all this
    >time. But, seriously, the days when TeX/LaTeX could be considered even
    >remotely useful for producing anything besides math equations is long gone.

    LaTeX still works just as well as it did 10 years ago and the
    requirements of its target audience probably havent changed a whole
    lot.

    As for the original topic, it might be possible to just make a script
    output in LaTeX allowing all the HTML, copying and pasting, etc, to be
    eliminated. Any manual editing that is still required could be done in
    a text editor, OOo Writer (which can import TeX files) or perhaps LyX.

    Certainly if I ever needed to produce printable formatted text from a
    script I would probably just do it that way. Could even automate the
    printing if needed by sending the PostScript output directly to a
    laser printer.
    David Goodwin, Dec 4, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    > On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 01:32:37 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"David Goodwin" <> wrote in message
    >>> Considered using TeX/LaTeX?

    >>All these hoops to jump through!
    >>
    >>That would explain the never-ending popularity of Microsoft Word, which
    >>handles the task effortlessly. No problem with tabs or any other
    >>formatting.
    >>It's really a shame that OO is still so klunky to work with after all this
    >>time. But, seriously, the days when TeX/LaTeX could be considered even
    >>remotely useful for producing anything besides math equations is long
    >>gone.

    > LaTeX still works just as well as it did 10 years ago and the
    > requirements of its target audience probably havent changed a whole
    > lot.
    >
    > As for the original topic, it might be possible to just make a script
    > output in LaTeX allowing all the HTML, copying and pasting, etc, to be
    > eliminated. Any manual editing that is still required could be done in
    > a text editor, OOo Writer (which can import TeX files) or perhaps LyX.
    >
    > Certainly if I ever needed to produce printable formatted text from a
    > script I would probably just do it that way. Could even automate the
    > printing if needed by sending the PostScript output directly to a
    > laser printer.

    Or else just open the darn thing in Word and be done with it.
    impossible, Dec 4, 2008
  7. In message <>, David Goodwin wrote:

    > Could even automate the printing if needed by sending the PostScript
    > output directly to a laser printer.

    I've done that. Or use Poppler to generate PDF.

    The reason I wanted to generate an Ooo Writer document was to allow for
    manual modifications before final printing.

    I also experimented with running a Python script from within Ooo Writer,
    making callbacks through the PyUNO interface to directly manipulate the
    document. That did work, but it didn't seem easy to put up a dialog asking
    the user for input, so I decided to stick with HTML interchange for now.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 4, 2008