OpenOffice can't find Java

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Miguel, Apr 25, 2007.

  1. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    Hi all...I've asked the following in ubuntuforums but have had no joy
    so I thought I might as well copy and paste it to nz.comp and see if
    anyone can help. Any suggestions welcome.......

    <copy and paste>
    Hi all...

    I'm using Open Office 2.0.4 and Java 1.6.0_01 under Xubuntu Edgy.

    The java install is working fine (verified at java.com) but Open
    Office won't recognise it.

    I've used Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Java to let OO know where the
    JRE is found but keep getting "The folder you selected does not
    contain a Java runtime environment" error message.

    I've used different depths of the path as suggested in the
    OpenOffice.org forums, for example
    /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01
    or
    /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/lib/i386
    or
    /usr/java
    but no luck.

    Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for. Isn't it
    normally libjava.so

    Any advice appreciated.

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Apr 25, 2007

  2. Miguel

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:45:02 -0700, Miguel wrote:

    > Hi all...I've asked the following in ubuntuforums but have had no joy so
    > I thought I might as well copy and paste it to nz.comp and see if anyone
    > can help. Any suggestions welcome.......
    >
    > <copy and paste>
    > Hi all...
    >
    > I'm using Open Office 2.0.4 and Java 1.6.0_01 under Xubuntu Edgy.
    >
    > The java install is working fine (verified at java.com) but Open Office
    > won't recognise it.
    >
    > I've used Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Java to let OO know where the JRE
    > is found but keep getting "The folder you selected does not contain a
    > Java runtime environment" error message.
    >
    > I've used different depths of the path as suggested in the
    > OpenOffice.org forums, for example
    > /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01
    > or
    > /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/lib/i386
    > or
    > /usr/java
    > but no luck.
    >
    > Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for. Isn't it
    > normally libjava.so
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.

    Wild guess. Version 1.5. When it comes to libs, programmes are fussy.

    Have you loaded both using synaptic/apt-get?
    Gordon, Apr 25, 2007

  3. Miguel

    Enkidu Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:45:02 -0700, Miguel wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all...I've asked the following in ubuntuforums but have had no joy so
    >> I thought I might as well copy and paste it to nz.comp and see if anyone
    >> can help. Any suggestions welcome.......
    >>
    >> <copy and paste>
    >> Hi all...
    >>
    >> I'm using Open Office 2.0.4 and Java 1.6.0_01 under Xubuntu Edgy.
    >>
    >> The java install is working fine (verified at java.com) but Open Office
    >> won't recognise it.
    >>
    >> I've used Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Java to let OO know where the JRE
    >> is found but keep getting "The folder you selected does not contain a
    >> Java runtime environment" error message.
    >>
    >> I've used different depths of the path as suggested in the
    >> OpenOffice.org forums, for example
    >> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01
    >> or
    >> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/lib/i386
    >> or
    >> /usr/java
    >> but no luck.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for. Isn't it
    >> normally libjava.so
    >>
    >> Any advice appreciated.

    > Wild guess. Version 1.5. When it comes to libs, programmes are fussy.
    >
    > Have you loaded both using synaptic/apt-get?

    Nope, I get the same problem and I've tried version 1.4.2 up to 1.5.x. I
    must have another go at solving it sometime.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 25, 2007
  4. On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:45:02 -0700, Miguel wrote:

    > Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for.

    OOo uses Java 5, not Java 6.

    My recommendation would be for you to uninstall Java 6 and then install
    Java 5.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    bath and a short dress to get into."
    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 25, 2007
  5. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:45:02 -0700, Miguel wrote:

    > Hi all...I've asked the following in ubuntuforums but have had no joy
    > so I thought I might as well copy and paste it to nz.comp and see if
    > anyone can help. Any suggestions welcome.......
    >
    > <copy and paste>
    > Hi all...
    >
    > I'm using Open Office 2.0.4 and Java 1.6.0_01 under Xubuntu Edgy.
    >
    > The java install is working fine (verified at java.com) but Open
    > Office won't recognise it.
    >
    > I've used Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Java to let OO know where the
    > JRE is found but keep getting "The folder you selected does not
    > contain a Java runtime environment" error message.
    >
    > I've used different depths of the path as suggested in the
    > OpenOffice.org forums, for example
    > /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01
    > or
    > /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/lib/i386
    > or
    > /usr/java
    > but no luck.
    >
    > Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for. Isn't it
    > normally libjava.so
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    For the record, I was earlier using Java 1.5.0_11 with no luck.

    Java.com told me to update to 1.6 so I did
    A straight ~18MB download and install from the website
    Not through apt-get or synaptic
    Verification worked fine.
    Opera, SeaMonkey and Firefox all find java no problem.

    Any other suggestions....

    Regards
    Miguel (using Aioe instead of google groups just for a change)
    Miguel, Apr 25, 2007
  6. Miguel

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:45:02 -0700, Miguel wrote:

    > Hi all...I've asked the following in ubuntuforums but have had no joy so I
    > thought I might as well copy and paste it to nz.comp and see if anyone can
    > help. Any suggestions welcome.......
    >
    > <copy and paste>
    > Hi all...
    >
    > I'm using Open Office 2.0.4 and Java 1.6.0_01 under Xubuntu Edgy.
    >
    > The java install is working fine (verified at java.com) but Open Office
    > won't recognise it.
    >
    > I've used Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Java to let OO know where the JRE
    > is found but keep getting "The folder you selected does not contain a Java
    > runtime environment" error message.
    >
    > I've used different depths of the path as suggested in the OpenOffice.org
    > forums, for example
    > /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01
    > or
    > /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/lib/i386
    > or
    > /usr/java
    > but no luck.
    >
    > Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for. Isn't it
    > normally libjava.so
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    I am not a OOo user but some Java apps look for an environment variable
    defining the path to where the Java runtime is installed,
    e.g.
    JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre
    JAVA_ROOT=/usr/lib/jvm/jre

    Check with the 'set' command.

    Murray.
    Murray Symon, Apr 25, 2007
  7. Miguel

    Enkidu Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:45:02 -0700, Miguel wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for.

    > OOo uses Java 5, not Java 6.
    >
    > My recommendation would be for you to uninstall Java 6 and then install
    > Java 5.

    Where on earth did you get that from? The official install doc says that
    the version of Java must be 1.4.2 or above. Nothing about version 6.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 25, 2007
  8. On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:17:59 +1200, Miguel wrote:

    > Any other suggestions....

    Have you tried uninstalling Office, removing all remaining config files (if
    any) in any directories created when Office was installed, and then
    reinstalling?

    Also, which version of Java was it? And which compiled version of Office
    was it?

    I personally am using Sun Java, and Office that I downloaded from
    http://download.openoffice.org/

    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 25, 2007
  9. Miguel

    Shane Guest

    Miguel wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:45:02 -0700, Miguel wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all...I've asked the following in ubuntuforums but have had no joy
    >> so I thought I might as well copy and paste it to nz.comp and see if
    >> anyone can help. Any suggestions welcome.......
    >>
    >> <copy and paste>
    >> Hi all...
    >>
    >> I'm using Open Office 2.0.4 and Java 1.6.0_01 under Xubuntu Edgy.
    >>
    >> The java install is working fine (verified at java.com) but Open
    >> Office won't recognise it.
    >>
    >> I've used Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Java to let OO know where the
    >> JRE is found but keep getting "The folder you selected does not
    >> contain a Java runtime environment" error message.
    >>
    >> I've used different depths of the path as suggested in the
    >> OpenOffice.org forums, for example
    >> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01
    >> or
    >> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/lib/i386
    >> or
    >> /usr/java
    >> but no luck.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for. Isn't it
    >> normally libjava.so
    >>
    >> Any advice appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Miguel

    > For the record, I was earlier using Java 1.5.0_11 with no luck.
    >
    > Java.com told me to update to 1.6 so I did
    > A straight ~18MB download and install from the website
    > Not through apt-get or synaptic
    > Verification worked fine.
    > Opera, SeaMonkey and Firefox all find java no problem.
    >
    > Any other suggestions....
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel (using Aioe instead of google groups just for a change)

    shane@shane-laptop:~$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode, sharing)

    I installed my java 1.6 via backports ;-)

    I checked OO and it is using 1.6.0 and has the choice to use 1.5.0_08
    And the location is /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-16.0.00/jre

    See if that path is any help, if not have a look at installing 1.6 via
    backports

    --
    Q: What's yellow and equivalent to the Axiom of Choice?
    A: Zorn's Lemon.
    Shane, Apr 25, 2007
  10. Miguel

    Enkidu Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:45:02 -0700, Miguel wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all...I've asked the following in ubuntuforums but have had no joy
    >> so I thought I might as well copy and paste it to nz.comp and see if
    >> anyone can help. Any suggestions welcome.......
    >>
    >> <copy and paste>
    >> Hi all...
    >>
    >> I'm using Open Office 2.0.4 and Java 1.6.0_01 under Xubuntu Edgy.
    >>
    >> The java install is working fine (verified at java.com) but Open
    >> Office won't recognise it.
    >>
    >> I've used Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Java to let OO know where the
    >> JRE is found but keep getting "The folder you selected does not
    >> contain a Java runtime environment" error message.
    >>
    >> I've used different depths of the path as suggested in the
    >> OpenOffice.org forums, for example
    >> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01
    >> or
    >> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/lib/i386
    >> or
    >> /usr/java
    >> but no luck.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for. Isn't it
    >> normally libjava.so
    >>
    >> Any advice appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Miguel

    > For the record, I was earlier using Java 1.5.0_11 with no luck.
    >
    > Java.com told me to update to 1.6 so I did
    > A straight ~18MB download and install from the website
    > Not through apt-get or synaptic
    > Verification worked fine.
    > Opera, SeaMonkey and Firefox all find java no problem.

    Ignore Lennier, as I believe he is talking out of his backside again.

    Does OO find your JREs? Does a list of them appear if you open OO, go to
    Tools->Options, and select Java under OpenOffice.Org?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 25, 2007
  11. On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:42:59 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:

    > I am not a OOo user but some Java apps look for an environment variable
    > defining the path to where the Java runtime is installed, e.g.
    > JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre
    > JAVA_ROOT=/usr/lib/jvm/jre
    >
    > Check with the 'set' command.
    >
    > Murray.

    Also, IIRC, OO uses 32bit java, not 64bit.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 25, 2007
  12. On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:47:14 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    >>> Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for.

    >> OOo uses Java 5, not Java 6.
    >>
    >> My recommendation would be for you to uninstall Java 6 and then install
    >> Java 5.
    >>

    > Where on earth did you get that from? The official install doc says that
    > the version of Java must be 1.4.2 or above. Nothing about version 6.

    Yeah - and that is what I too found out when I checked on Openoffice.org
    about 3 hours ago. And so I happily stand corrected. I must have been
    thinking about some other application that uses Java - such as Azureus.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 25, 2007
  13. Miguel

    Enkidu Guest

    Murray Symon wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:45:02 -0700, Miguel wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all...I've asked the following in ubuntuforums but have had no joy so I
    >> thought I might as well copy and paste it to nz.comp and see if anyone can
    >> help. Any suggestions welcome.......
    >>
    >> <copy and paste>
    >> Hi all...
    >>
    >> I'm using Open Office 2.0.4 and Java 1.6.0_01 under Xubuntu Edgy.
    >>
    >> The java install is working fine (verified at java.com) but Open Office
    >> won't recognise it.
    >>
    >> I've used Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Java to let OO know where the JRE
    >> is found but keep getting "The folder you selected does not contain a Java
    >> runtime environment" error message.
    >>
    >> I've used different depths of the path as suggested in the OpenOffice.org
    >> forums, for example
    >> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01
    >> or
    >> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/lib/i386
    >> or
    >> /usr/java
    >> but no luck.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for. Isn't it
    >> normally libjava.so
    >>
    >> Any advice appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Miguel

    > I am not a OOo user but some Java apps look for an environment variable
    > defining the path to where the Java runtime is installed,
    > e.g.
    > JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre
    > JAVA_ROOT=/usr/lib/jvm/jre
    >
    > Check with the 'set' command.

    Well, OO has a dialog that a) detects all the JREs and b) allows you to
    select one, so that shouldn't be necessary, but it is worth a look. My
    OOBase stopped working between Breezy and Edgy.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 25, 2007
  14. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    Re: SOLVED - OpenOffice can't find Java

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:05:27 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus wrote:

    > Have you tried uninstalling Office, removing all remaining config files (if
    > any) in any directories created when Office was installed, and then
    > reinstalling?

    Hi again all...Had a look in Synaptic to see what would be involved in
    re-installing OpenOffice as DM suggested and, lo and behold, there was a
    file called OpenOffice.org-java-common. Making the wild assumption that
    this was related to the OpenOffice.org common java files I installed it
    then re-started OpenOffice.

    One 16 MB download later OpenOffice auto-detected both of my Java installs
    (1.5 and 1.6) and also a FreeSoftwareFoundation 1.4.2 which I think is a
    Xubuntu default component.....oh well. Live and learn.

    Many thanks to all who replied. Off to ubuntuforums to reply to my
    original post in case someone else has the same problem in the future.

    Regards
    Miguel
    (again posting from aioe.org cos google groups doesn't seem to be working)
    Miguel, Apr 26, 2007
  15. Miguel

    Enkidu Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:05:27 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried uninstalling Office, removing all remaining config files (if
    >> any) in any directories created when Office was installed, and then
    >> reinstalling?
    >>

    > Hi again all...Had a look in Synaptic to see what would be involved in
    > re-installing OpenOffice as DM suggested and, lo and behold, there was a
    > file called OpenOffice.org-java-common. Making the wild assumption that
    > this was related to the OpenOffice.org common java files I installed it
    > then re-started OpenOffice.
    >
    > One 16 MB download later OpenOffice auto-detected both of my Java installs
    > (1.5 and 1.6) and also a FreeSoftwareFoundation 1.4.2 which I think is a
    > Xubuntu default component.....oh well. Live and learn.
    >
    > Many thanks to all who replied. Off to ubuntuforums to reply to my
    > original post in case someone else has the same problem in the future.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel
    > (again posting from aioe.org cos google groups doesn't seem to be working)

    Yeah, but does it work? I have that package installed and see the JRE in
    the Java panel, but it doesn't... actually... work...

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 26, 2007
  16. Miguel

    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:38:37 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Yeah, but does it work? I have that package installed and see the JRE in
    > the Java panel, but it doesn't... actually... work...
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Hi Cliff....Works fine now, thanks for asking. I initially needed java cos
    some of the wizards wouldn't work without it. They all work fine now.

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Apr 26, 2007
  17. Miguel

    Enkidu Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:38:37 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, but does it work? I have that package installed and see the JRE in
    >> the Java panel, but it doesn't... actually... work...
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Hi Cliff....Works fine now, thanks for asking. I initially needed java cos
    > some of the wizards wouldn't work without it. They all work fine now.

    Bugger! Mine still doesn't work. Just discovered that some Java apps
    don't either. Java command line does though.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 27, 2007
  18. Miguel

    bok Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    >> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:45:02 -0700, Miguel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know which file in particular OO is looking for.

    >> OOo uses Java 5, not Java 6.
    >>
    >> My recommendation would be for you to uninstall Java 6 and then install
    >> Java 5.
    >>

    > Where on earth did you get that from? The official install doc says that
    > the version of Java must be 1.4.2 or above. Nothing about version 6.

    Since version 1.5 there has been two Java version numbering schemes,
    which can be confusing.

    Java SE Version 5 has an internal build number of the form 1.5.x and a
    version 6 JRE is identified by a 1.6.n internal version number.

    When referring to major language features or extensions, developers tend
    to refer to Java version 5 or 6.

    Whereas the 1.m.n numbers are used to identify the specific version of a
    Java Runtime Environment (JRE) (or JDK).
    bok, Apr 27, 2007
  19. Re: SOLVED - OpenOffice can't find Java

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:57:44 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Bugger! Mine still doesn't work. Just discovered that some Java apps don't
    > either. Java command line does though.

    Are you using a 64bit OS? Many Java apps expect a 32bit version of the JRE.

    OOffice expects a 32bit version of the JRE.

    If you're using an RPM based distro open a console window CD to the
    directory that the JRE RPM is located in and then use the following command
    to install the 32bit version of Sun's JRE:

    rpm -i --relocate /usr/java=/usr/java32 jre-6u1-linux-i586.rpm

    And use the following to install the 64bit version of Sun's JRE:

    rpm -i jre-6u1-linux-amd64.rpm

    That will enable both versions to be installed.

    You will then most likely need to point OOffice to the 32bit Java binaries
    using the option in >tools>options>java.

    Ensure the "Use a Java runtime environment" has an "x" in it. Wait a
    couple of minutes - that window may initially appear to not be responding.
    If no JRE are showing as being already installed, then click "add" and
    WAIT until the dialogue window opens. That may take a little while.

    If you want to use audio or video in Impress to create "powerpoint"
    displays then you will also need to install the following:

    jmf-2_1_1e-linux-i586.bin . Do that by moving it into the directory where
    you want it installed, CHMODing it to make it executable and then running
    it (./)

    If you want to add Java multimedia support then in OOffice click
    >tools>options.java>Class Path>Add Archive. Navagate to into the directory
    >here you put the jmf-2_1_1e, then go into ~/lib and add the following
    >libaries: JMF.jar, mediaplayer.jar, and multiplayer.jar.

    That should get the Java requirements of OOffice sorted out.

    I hope that's helpful.

    Cheers

    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 28, 2007
  20. Miguel

    Enkidu Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:57:44 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Bugger! Mine still doesn't work. Just discovered that some Java
    >> apps don't either. Java command line does though.

    > Are you using a 64bit OS? Many Java apps expect a 32bit version of
    > the JRE.

    I have been running Java apps that use the 32bit and the 64bit JREs/JDKs
    for ages.

    > OOffice expects a 32bit version of the JRE.

    That's bollocks OO is a 64bit executable (on my machine) and will and
    has happily used a 64bit JRE.

    > Ensure the "Use a Java runtime environment" has an "x" in it. Wait a
    > couple of minutes - that window may initially appear to not be
    > responding. If no JRE are showing as being already installed, then
    > click "add" and WAIT until the dialogue window opens. That may take a
    > little while.

    Lennier, as I said before, I've used OO for ages and I know how to
    associate a JRE with it. When I do the above, all three of my JREs
    appear and there is always on selected. However if I try to use one of
    the Java based facilities it complains that no JRE is installed.

    > I hope that's helpful.

    You do talk a load of bollocks, Lennier.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 28, 2007