    --
    Check out my web site at:

    www.home.earthlink.net/~dmign/index.htm
    antradman, May 22, 2008

  2. antradman

    Paul Guest

    antradman wrote:
    > Hi;
    > Linda new here but I hope someone can help me. I am running Windows HP and I
    > recently went from dial up to DL. and since the change my connection is
    > Verizon Yahoo. All seems to be well there. Some times I prefer to run
    > Internet Explorer. When I go to a site like Shopgoodwill.com there are some
    > photos that are thumbnails and you need to click on them to open the large
    > view. When I do this in IE I just get a bong and a fist but the photo won't
    > open. When I use Verizon Yahoo it works fine. I went through the procedure
    > of opening tools, going to security and clicking allow active content to run
    > on my computer but that doesn't,t help. Any ideas as to to what is wrong and
    > how I can fix it?
    >
    > antradman, DON

    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=3648970

    They appear to use Adobe Flash. Adobe makes two plugins for
    browsers. You can see them on this test page. One is
    "Adobe Shockwave Player" and the other is "Adobe Flash Player".
    The test page has two rectangular areas, and if you had both
    plugins installed, they would both render some sort of animation.
    If you did not have a plugin installed, the area would remain
    blank, and you might see some text explaining why it is blank.

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

    If I use explorer to view that page, it will even try to download
    the plugin for Shockwave immediately. Just click cancel, if you
    aren't ready to install Shockwave yet.

    I expect you'd find the installation of the Flash option (the
    lower rectangle), to be a bit more useful. Since some news sites
    and Youtube use Flash for playing video content, it comes in
    handy for that sort of thing.

    You can get the Flash Player here (for lower rectangle, viewing pics on Shopgoodwill)

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

    You can see, more people have the Flash Player installed, in this graph.

    http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/shockwaveplayer/

    This is the download page for the plugin that renders the upper rectangle
    of the test page at Adobe. It should automatically detect the
    browser and OS, used to access the web site, and select the
    right software. Note, that tools like this, tend to install their
    software on *all* the Internet browsers on your computer - you
    may not be able to control just specific browsers (like Internet
    Explorer) will get the software. I don't like that myself, and
    I had to clean up after the installer on my computer. I only
    run the plugins on Internet Explorer (which I don't use very
    much) and I don't have them installed in Firefox.

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/

    So try installing the plugins, and see if your symptoms are
    different.

    You don't have to try this page, but this is another way to
    test the Shockwave (upper rectangle on the test page). This
    web site has an educational-type simulation of a catapult,
    where students can try to hit a target with the catapult.
    It uses Shockwave for the animations. Also, a nice feature
    from running this page, is if there is a problem with
    Shockwave, there may be an error window with an error in
    it. That makes it easier to figure out what is wrong, if
    there is a failure in the software. The error window appears
    *underneath* your browser window, so you have to slide the
    browser window to the side, to see if there is an error
    dialog hiding underneath. It is pretty tricky :)

    http://www.forgefx.com/casestudies/prenticehall/ph/catapult/catapult.htm

    Paul
    Paul, May 22, 2008

  3. You have Pop Ups blocked. You can turn this off, OR you can hold the Control
    Key when you click the link.

    Jeff Strickland, May 22, 2008
  4. antradman

    antradman Guest

    I want to thank all that replied and suggested solutions. I installed Flash
    and that didn't help. I have pop-up blocker turned off but still no help
    but..........
    Jeff I tried your suggestion about holding the control key and that worked
    great! Again, thanks everybody.

    One ha,ha. The first word in my post should have been Kinda not Linda.Just
    a senior moment.

    DON

    antradman, May 22, 2008
  5. What's happening is that Verizon Yahoo has installed an internet security
    suite that includes (amonhg other things) a Pop Up Blocker. You can turn
    this feature on or off depending on how annoying it is to you to have what
    you feel is otherwise normal stuff blocked all of the time. I don't recall
    if you can train it to block some pop ups but allow others.

    It you are running other spyware, adware, and anti virus, you may conisder
    not using them if the Verizon Internet Security Suite is installed.

    Jeff Strickland, May 22, 2008