    open the .pps again. I reinstalled PowerPoint 97 but still can't get .pps
    Can anyone out there tell me what to do. I have Outlook Express for my
    email.
    Peigi Penney, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Peigi Penney

    old jon Guest

    "Peigi Penney" <> wrote in message
    news:FHxxe.7160$...
    >I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 with Windows XP. The first time I had trouble
    >with opening .pps attachments I was told to install PowerPoint 97. I did
    >and it worked fine. Once I tried PowerPoint 2003 but it didn't work so I
    >deleted it and reinstalled 97 and again all was fine. Suddenly I can't
    >open the .pps again. I reinstalled PowerPoint 97 but still can't get .pps
    >Can anyone out there tell me what to do. I have Outlook Express for my
    >email.

    Go to this site and have a read
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ppsopen.htm
    best wishes..OJ
    old jon, Jul 2, 2005

  3. Peigi Penney

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 10:40:37 -0400, Peigi Penney wrote:

    >I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 with Windows XP. The first time I had trouble
    >with opening .pps attachments I was told to install PowerPoint 97. I did

    What sort of trouble, just opening them?

    ..PPS is Microsoft PowerPoint Show, these work with PP97? If they do is
    it v97 PPS files you are using and not 2003 versions?

    >and it worked fine. Once I tried PowerPoint 2003 but it didn't work so I
    >deleted it and reinstalled 97 and again all was fine. Suddenly I can't

    Office 2003 didn't work PP2003 or opening .pps files.

    >open the .pps again. I reinstalled PowerPoint 97 but still can't get .pps
    >Can anyone out there tell me what to do. I have Outlook Express for my
    >email.

    Maybe it's launching PPS from OE, there are things you haven't said.

    Not the nicest of email clients.

    Find out what application is associated with .pps files

    Open Windows Explorer , Tools / Folder Options , File Types

    Find the .PPS entry, if one exists. To change the application c
    click 'Change' to edit the entry click 'Advanced'

    The advanced settings let you edit the new / open / print commands.

    For example - Action 'open' launches pps in OpenOffice on my system
    using

    "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.3\program\soffice.exe" -o "%1"

    If you only want to view the files goto the MS Office downloads and get
    the office file viewer. Although you have 2 versions of Office so
    shouldn't need a viewer only.

    You have tried www.google.com and found stuff like this?

    Unable to open .PPS attachments directly from Outlook Express?
    PPS file that came as a mail attachment in Outlook Express, you may see
    the Open /
    Cancel ... Create an association in the Folder Options control panel ...
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ppsopen.htm - 11k - 30 Jun 2005 - Cached -
    Similar pages

    Me
    why?, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Peigi Penney

    Fred is back Guest

    Peigi Penney <> wrote:

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 with Windows XP.

    Cool, get me one!

    > The first time I had trouble with opening .PPS attachments I was
    > told to install PowerPoint 97.

    Classic attribution problems again.

    > I did and it worked fine.

    Why did you and it worked fine?

    > Once I tried PowerPoint 2003 but it didn't work so I deleted it and
    > reinstalled 97 and again all was fine.

    Try again.

    > Suddenly I can't open the .PPS again.

    I can't open the .pps again either.

    > I reinstalled PowerPoint 97 but still can't get .PPS Can anyone out
    > there tell me what to do.

    Don't you know what to do?

    > I have Outlook Express for my email.

    Wow, who hasn't.
    Fred is back, Jul 2, 2005
  5. Peigi Penney

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Fred is back" wrote in message

    >> I have Outlook Express for my email.

    > Wow, who hasn't.

    Me. I'm using Outlook 2003.
    Dave Lear, Jul 2, 2005
  6. Peigi Penney

    Dave Lear Guest

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 with Windows XP. The first time I had
    > trouble with opening .pps attachments I was told to install PowerPoint
    > 97. I did and it worked fine. Once I tried PowerPoint 2003 but it
    > didn't work so I deleted it and reinstalled 97 and again all was fine.
    > Suddenly I can't open the .pps again. I reinstalled PowerPoint 97
    > but still can't get .pps Can anyone out there tell me what to do. I have
    > Outlook Express for my email.

    If you don't have Microsoft Office installed then you can get the latest
    viewers (which allow you to view / print, but not edit, files) here...

    Excel 2003 Viewer
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...F4-996C-4569-B547-75EDBD03AAF0&displaylang=en

    PowerPoint Viewer 2003
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...27-43ab-4f24-90b7-a94784af71a4&displaylang=en

    Visio 2003 Viewer
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5c-fed1-46cf-bd53-da23635ab2df&displaylang=en

    Word Viewer 2003
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...87-8732-48d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&displaylang=en
    Dave Lear, Jul 2, 2005
  7. Peigi Penney

    Gort Guest

    Peigi Penney wrote:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 with Windows XP. The first time I had trouble
    > with opening .pps attachments I was told to install PowerPoint 97. I did
    > and it worked fine. Once I tried PowerPoint 2003 but it didn't work so I
    > deleted it and reinstalled 97 and again all was fine. Suddenly I can't
    > open the .pps again. I reinstalled PowerPoint 97 but still can't get .pps
    > Can anyone out there tell me what to do. I have Outlook Express for my
    > email.
    >
    > Open Office works for me. A Google search will tell you all about it,

    including that it's free.

    inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
    how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.
    Gort, Jul 4, 2005
  8. Peigi Penney

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Gort" <> wrote in message
    > Peigi Penney wrote:
    >> I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 with Windows XP. The first time I had
    >> trouble with opening .pps attachments I was told to install PowerPoint
    >> 97. I did and it worked fine. Once I tried PowerPoint 2003 but it
    >> didn't work so I deleted it and reinstalled 97 and again all was fine.
    >> Suddenly I can't open the .pps again. I reinstalled PowerPoint 97 but
    >> still can't get .pps Can anyone out there tell me what to do. I have
    >> Outlook Express for my email. Open Office works for me. A Google search
    >> will tell you all about it,

    > including that it's free.

    Yup! I'm cleaning up about half a dozen scrap systems here, and I'm going to
    donate them somewhere. So I'm putting Open Office and Grisoft's free AVG
    antivirus on them. Free is good. I like free <g>

    But I have read that there are some compatibility issues with Open Office
    and genuine PowerPoint files. I haven't got any PPS files to try them
    myself.
    Toolman Tim, Jul 4, 2005
  9. Peigi Penney

    old jon Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Gort" <> wrote in message
    >> Peigi Penney wrote:
    >>> I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 with Windows XP. The first time I had
    >>> trouble with opening .pps attachments I was told to install PowerPoint
    >>> 97. I did and it worked fine. Once I tried PowerPoint 2003 but it
    >>> didn't work so I deleted it and reinstalled 97 and again all was fine.
    >>> Suddenly I can't open the .pps again. I reinstalled PowerPoint 97 but
    >>> still can't get .pps Can anyone out there tell me what to do. I have
    >>> Outlook Express for my email. Open Office works for me. A Google search
    >>> will tell you all about it,

    >> including that it's free.
    >>

    > Yup! I'm cleaning up about half a dozen scrap systems here, and I'm going
    > to donate them somewhere. So I'm putting Open Office and Grisoft's free
    > AVG antivirus on them. Free is good. I like free <g>
    >
    > But I have read that there are some compatibility issues with Open Office
    > and genuine PowerPoint files. I haven't got any PPS files to try them
    > myself.

    Any Donator is good enough for me Tim. If you like freeeeeee make sure you
    keep an eye on
    alt.comp.freeware.
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Jul 4, 2005
  10. Peigi Penney

    Guest

    Just a quick, dumb thought; Did you check the file association for
    ..pps files. In uninstall/reinstall this may have gotten "horsed up."
    -technical term

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 17:34:21 GMT, "old jon"
    <> wrote:

    >"Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gort" <> wrote in message
    >>> including that it's free.
    >>>

    >> Yup! I'm cleaning up about half a dozen scrap systems here, and I'm going
    >> to donate them somewhere. So I'm putting Open Office and Grisoft's free
    >> AVG antivirus on them. Free is good. I like free <g>
    >>
    >> But I have read that there are some compatibility issues with Open Office
    >> and genuine PowerPoint files. I haven't got any PPS files to try them
    >> myself.
    >>

    >Any Donator is good enough for me Tim. If you like freeeeeee make sure you
    >keep an eye on
    >alt.comp.freeware.
    >bw..OJ

    , Jul 5, 2005