Opening Outlook weblinks in Firefox, not IE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dashie, Jan 4, 2007.

  1. dashie

    dashie Guest

    A friend has asked me if I can hekp solve this behaviour.
    I got her to switch to Firefox for browsing - a long overdue switch,
    but there ya go. Now, whenever she opens a link in an email, it still
    opens in IE.

    Yes, we have made FF the default browser.

    Any tips as to forcing XP to use FF? I have located this thread
    [http://groups.google.co.uk/group/24...k=gst&q=outlook open links in FireFox&rnum=3]
    in this group. It doesn't answer the question.

    Cheers in advance.

    John

    --
    Lying, the telling of beautiful untrue things, is the proper aim of
    Art. - Oscar Wilde

    dashie, Jan 4, 2007

  2. dashie

    dashie Guest

    I've also seen this which implies that it is not fixable:
    "After IE55 is installed, Outlook Express will send all hyperlinks to
    Internet Explorer, regardless of your default browser settings.
    *Outlook email messages are handled differently*, depending on the
    format of the email message. If the email message is formatted using
    plain or rich text, then hyperlinks are handled by the default browser,
    as expected. However, *for emails formatted as HTML, hyperlinks are
    ALWAYS handled by Internet Explorer*, regardless of the default browser
    setting."
    http://www.netcaptor.com/article/91/

    dashie, Jan 4, 2007

  3. dashie wrote:

    > I've also seen this which implies that it is not fixable: "After IE55
    > is installed, Outlook Express will send all hyperlinks to Internet
    > Explorer, regardless of your default browser settings. *Outlook email
    > messages are handled differently*, depending on the format of the
    > email message. If the email message is formatted using plain or rich
    > text, then hyperlinks are handled by the default browser, as
    > expected. However, *for emails formatted as HTML, hyperlinks are
    > ALWAYS handled by Internet Explorer*, regardless of the default
    > browser setting."
    > http://www.netcaptor.com/article/91/

    "Update: See this Microsoft Knowledge Base article which acknowledges
    the bug. It appears to have been fixed for IE6."

    You don't mention the version of Windows. Why not upgrade to IE6, which
    has been out for about six years now? Though still buggy and insecure,
    it is a lot better than any flavor of v.5.

    Change to a modern email client, such as Thunderbird...
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 4, 2007
  4. dashie

    dashie Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    ::snip::

    > You don't mention the version of Windows. Why not upgrade to IE6, which
    > has been out for about six years now? Though still buggy and insecure,
    > it is a lot better than any flavor of v.5.

    That's pretty obvious.

    WE DON'T WANT TO USE IE.

    WE WANT TO USE FIREFOX.

    If you cannot read, nor answer the question, please don't bother
    replying.

    TIA.

    dashie, Jan 4, 2007
  5. dashie wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >::snip::
    >
    >> You don't mention the version of Windows. Why not upgrade to IE6, which
    >> has been out for about six years now? Though still buggy and insecure,
    >> it is a lot better than any flavor of v.5.
    >>

    > That's pretty obvious.

    Glad you agree.

    > WE DON'T WANT TO USE IE.

    So don't.

    > WE WANT TO USE FIREFOX.

    Great decision.

    > If you cannot read, nor answer the question, please don't bother
    > replying.

    I read very well, thank you.

    The page you cited answered your own question, which I reaffirmed. It
    says the bug of OE always opening IE was *fixed* in IE6. Remember, you
    will also get OE6 along with IE6.

    SO IF YOU INSTALL IE6, YOUR OE WILL THEN OPEN LINKS IN YOUR DEFAULT
    BROWSER.

    Please try to follow along.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 4, 2007
  6. dashie

    Max Wachtel Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > dashie wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> ::snip::
    >>
    >>> You don't mention the version of Windows. Why not upgrade to IE6, which
    >>> has been out for about six years now? Though still buggy and insecure,
    >>> it is a lot better than any flavor of v.5.
    >>>

    >> That's pretty obvious.

    > Glad you agree.
    >
    >> WE DON'T WANT TO USE IE.

    > So don't.
    >
    >> WE WANT TO USE FIREFOX.

    > Great decision.
    >
    >> If you cannot read, nor answer the question, please don't bother
    >> replying.

    > I read very well, thank you.
    >
    > The page you cited answered your own question, which I reaffirmed. It
    > says the bug of OE always opening IE was *fixed* in IE6. Remember, you
    > will also get OE6 along with IE6.
    >
    > SO IF YOU INSTALL IE6, YOUR OE WILL THEN OPEN LINKS IN YOUR DEFAULT
    > BROWSER.
    >
    > Please try to follow along.

    Perhaps dashie can only understand words with two syllables or less.

    Let me try.

    dashie-
    UPDATE OF IE WILL FIX YOUR PROBLEM.

    max
    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages:

    Max Wachtel, Jan 4, 2007
  7. Max Wachtel wrote:

    > Perhaps dashie can only understand words with two syllables or less.

    <lol!>

    My apologies for including a few three syllable words. (Whoops! There's
    a few more.)

    Let's try: "I'm sorry for using big words."

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 5, 2007
  8. dashie

    dashie Guest

    Sorry.

    You seem to be saying something counter-intuitive.

    In order to stop Outlook opening hyperlinks automatically in IE,
    instead of the default browser, I need to update the browser I don't
    want to use (IE)?

    Isn't that odd?

    dashie, Jan 5, 2007
  9. dashie

    dashie Guest

    "I read very well, thank you.

    The page you cited answered your own question, which I reaffirmed. It
    says the bug of OE always opening IE was *fixed* in IE6. Remember, you
    will also get OE6 along with IE6.

    SO IF YOU INSTALL IE6, YOUR OE WILL THEN OPEN LINKS IN YOUR DEFAULT
    BROWSER.

    Please try to follow along. "

    Thanks for misreading again. And the supercilious attitude (look it up)

    We are not talking about OE

    We are talking about Outlook, a different program altogether.

    Please do reply if you have an answer.

    dashie, Jan 5, 2007
  10. dashie

    dashie Guest

    Sorry, maybe you weren't aware that OE & Outlook were different
    programs?

    dashie, Jan 5, 2007
  11. dashie

    dashie Guest

    "Playing Nice on Usenet"

    hehehe. Yeh. Playing nice, and being helpful.

    Can you spell p-r-a-t?

    dashie, Jan 5, 2007
  12. dashie wrote:

    > Sorry, maybe you weren't aware that OE & Outlook were different
    > programs?

    They are????? Oh my gawd!

    Maybe you weren't aware that 90% of the people with questions like yours
    type "Outlook" and really mean Outlook Express. It's not your fault; I
    blame Mr. Gates for using the same word.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 5, 2007
  13. dashie

    Senti Guest

    dashie wrote:
    > Sorry.
    >
    > You seem to be saying something counter-intuitive.
    >
    > In order to stop Outlook opening hyperlinks automatically in IE,
    > instead of the default browser, I need to update the browser I don't
    > want to use (IE)?
    >
    > Isn't that odd?

    No. And here's why:

    Microsoft changed the way that Outlook Express and Outlook handle
    default browser issues when they released IE 5.5.

    Prior to IE5.5, hyperlinks displayed in Outlook Express and Outlook
    emails where handled by the browser associated with the http protocol,
    generally listed under file type "URL: Hypertext Transfer Protocol".
    This meant that the default browser would handle these links.

    After IE5.5 is installed, Outlook Express will send all hyperlinks to
    Internet Explorer, regardless of your default browser settings. (Here's
    the part that pertains to you...) Outlook email messages are handled
    differently, depending on the format of the email message. If the email
    message is formatted using plain or rich text, then hyperlinks are
    handled by the default browser, as expected. (Especially this next
    part...) However, for emails formatted as HTML, hyperlinks are ALWAYS
    handled by Internet Explorer, regardless of the default browser setting.

    So what Beauregard was pointing out was that when Microsoft released
    Internet Explorer 6, they corrected the bug that was causing that to
    happen. Did you try installing IE6 to see if it worked? If not go
    ahead and try it.

    Just because something may seem to be counter-intuitive does not mean it
    is wrong, it just means it's probably a Microsoft product. :)

    Senti, Jan 5, 2007
  14. dashie

    dashie Guest

    I am getting my friend to check her IE version when she gets home. I am
    fairly certain it is a version 6 or above (I even think its 7)

    Which puts me in the post 5.5 world - where Outlook sends all
    hyperlinks to IE.

    They did not correct a bug, unless you can show me how to make Outlook
    open all hyperlinks in the default browser - by your own admission,
    this seems to be impossible.

    Tell me how that is a solution to the problem I described in the post -
    where I want all hyperlinks (not just plain text or rich text, but HTML
    links too) to be sent to FF by default?

    Max?
    Bo?

    You still there?

    Cheers,

    dashie.

    dashie, Jan 5, 2007
  15. dashie

    dashie Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > dashie wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry, maybe you weren't aware that OE & Outlook were different
    > > programs?

    > They are????? Oh my gawd!
    >
    > Maybe you weren't aware that 90% of the people with questions like yours
    > type "Outlook" and really mean Outlook Express. It's not your fault; I
    > blame Mr. Gates for using the same word.

    It's irrelevant whether I knew what 90% of other users call their
    programs - *you* assumed that I meant OE when I said Outlook, and
    didn't ask for clarification. That's why you got it wrong.
    Also - this tickled me:
    It's not *my* fault that *you* misunderstood my clearly phrased
    question? How gracious of you.

    Now, do you know whether I can solve the issue, or were you just
    rushing in where angels fear to tread?

    dashie, Jan 5, 2007
  16. dashie wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Maybe you weren't aware that 90% of the people with questions like
    >> yours type "Outlook" and really mean Outlook Express. It's not your
    >> fault; I blame Mr. Gates for using the same word.
    >>

    > It's irrelevant whether I knew what 90% of other users call their
    > programs - *you* assumed that I meant OE when I said Outlook, and
    > didn't ask for clarification. That's why you got it wrong.
    > Also - this tickled me:

    What tickles me is your initial post. Says Outlook in the subject line.
    Goes on to discuss Outlook Express, and cites a link to a solution of a
    problem with Outlook Express v 5.5. Does not say anywhere user has
    Outlook 97, Outlook 2000, or Outlook 2003, and in a later post you
    finally reveal the user's version of IE by stating "I am fairly certain
    it is a version 6 or above (I even think its 7)".

    Had you said that in the beginning, I or no one else would have told you
    to upgrade to version 6, as recommended by the link _you_ cited.

    > It's not *my* fault that *you* misunderstood my clearly phrased
    > question? How gracious of you.

    Clearly phrased? Due to your omission of details, we are guilty of
    misunderstanding? How gracious of you!

    > Now, do you know whether I can solve the issue, or were you just
    > rushing in where angels fear to tread?

    No, I'm finished with you. Go ask in a Microsoft group.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 5, 2007
  17. dashie

    dashie Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > What tickles me is your initial post. Says Outlook in the subject line.
    > Goes on to discuss Outlook Express,

    Nope. The quote is:
    "I've also seen this which _implies_ that it is not fixable:
    "After IE55 is installed, Outlook Express will send all hyperlinks to
    Internet Explorer, regardless of your default browser settings.

    [Note the following emphasis, in the original, to draw the careful
    readers attention to the relevant section]
    *Outlook email messages are handled differently*, depending on the
    format of the email message. If the email message is formatted using
    plain or rich text, then hyperlinks are handled by the default browser,
    as expected. However, *for emails formatted as HTML, hyperlinks are
    ALWAYS handled by Internet Explorer*, regardless of the default browser
    setting." "

    and cites a link to a solution of a
    > problem with Outlook Express v 5.5.

    Not exactly. Solution refers to both OE & Outlook. Read more carefully.

    Does not say anywhere user has
    > Outlook 97, Outlook 2000, or Outlook 2003,

    That's correct. Of course, if you thought it was necessary information,
    you would have asked. Did you?

    > and in a later post you
    > finally reveal the user's version of IE by stating "I am fairly certain
    > it is a version 6 or above (I even think its 7)".

    Yep. IE is not the essential problem - remember?

    > Had you said that in the beginning, I or no one else would have told you
    > to upgrade to version 6, as recommended by the link _you_ cited.

    Still not reading very carefully there. The upgrade to IE6 would make
    sense - even to me - if OE was the origin of the hyperlinks. It isn't.

    > > It's not *my* fault that *you* misunderstood my clearly phrased
    > > question? How gracious of you.

    > Clearly phrased? Due to your omission of details, we are guilty of
    > misunderstanding? How gracious of you!

    I did not omit details. You assumed my friend uses it just for email
    (Outlook does a lot more than that)

    > > Now, do you know whether I can solve the issue, or were you just
    > > rushing in where angels fear to tread?

    > No, I'm finished with you. Go ask in a Microsoft group.

    Ah. At last - clarity. You don't know how to fix this. Thanks for the
    admission.

    --
    dashie

    dashie, Jan 5, 2007
  18. dashie

    Senti Guest

    dashie wrote:
    > I am getting my friend to check her IE version when she gets home. I am
    > fairly certain it is a version 6 or above (I even think its 7)
    >
    > Which puts me in the post 5.5 world - where Outlook sends all
    > hyperlinks to IE.
    >
    > They did not correct a bug, unless you can show me how to make Outlook
    > open all hyperlinks in the default browser - by your own admission,
    > this seems to be impossible.
    >
    > Tell me how that is a solution to the problem I described in the post -
    > where I want all hyperlinks (not just plain text or rich text, but HTML
    > links too) to be sent to FF by default?
    >
    > Max?
    > Bo?
    >
    > You still there?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > dashie.

    Where did I say it was impossible?? What I did was quote the article
    *you* linked to and tried to direct your attention to what Beauregard
    was trying to point out. And that is this:

    In the link that YOU provided, it says AT THE TOP that the bug was fixed
    in IE6.

    Nowhere did I say it was impossible to do what you're trying to do. If
    you read the rest of what I posted, then you have an easy way of testing
    to see if your friend is being affected by the bug. According to the
    link YOU provided, Outlook handles links in a PLAIN TEXT email properly
    by opening them in the default browser, but links in an HTML email
    improperly, forcing them to open in IE regardless of the default browser
    setting.

    So have you tried sending a plain text email with a link to your friend?
    If she clicks the link and it opens in the default browser, then she's
    probably affected by the bug, in which case upgrading to IE 6 should fix
    the problem. If that same link opens in IE instead of the default
    browser, then your friend most likely has a different issue.

    But unless you at least *try* the troubleshooting steps provided, we
    won't know if that's what's happening or not, will we?

    Typically, when you ask people for assistance, it's because you don't
    know the answer. So when they offer advice, why would you dismiss it
    out of hand without even trying it? Especially after they explain why
    they think it will work? Asking someone for advice when you're stumped
    and then dismissing it without any real reason is counter-intuitive.

    Senti, Jan 6, 2007
  19. dashie

    Senti Guest

    dashie wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> What tickles me is your initial post. Says Outlook in the subject line.
    >> Goes on to discuss Outlook Express,

    > Nope. The quote is:
    > "I've also seen this which _implies_ that it is not fixable:
    > "After IE55 is installed, Outlook Express will send all hyperlinks to
    > Internet Explorer, regardless of your default browser settings.
    >
    > [Note the following emphasis, in the original, to draw the careful
    > readers attention to the relevant section]
    > *Outlook email messages are handled differently*, depending on the
    > format of the email message. If the email message is formatted using
    > plain or rich text, then hyperlinks are handled by the default browser,
    > as expected. However, *for emails formatted as HTML, hyperlinks are
    > ALWAYS handled by Internet Explorer*, regardless of the default browser
    > setting." "

    And at the top of the same article, it has an update which says the
    issue was corrected in IE6. Which _implies_ that you should update to
    IE 6 to correct the issue.

    > and cites a link to a solution of a
    >> problem with Outlook Express v 5.5.

    > Not exactly. Solution refers to both OE & Outlook. Read more carefully.
    >
    > Does not say anywhere user has
    >> Outlook 97, Outlook 2000, or Outlook 2003,

    > That's correct. Of course, if you thought it was necessary information,
    > you would have asked. Did you?

    When asking for advice, it behooves the requester to include all
    relevant information. When talking about software, the version of the
    software is *always* relevant. I mean, if someone came to you and said
    "I have a problem" and left it at that, how annoyed would you be if you
    had to draw any relevant information from them?

    >> and in a later post you
    >> finally reveal the user's version of IE by stating "I am fairly certain
    >> it is a version 6 or above (I even think its 7)".

    > Yep. IE is not the essential problem - remember?

    According to the article you posted, it just may be. Until we know FOR
    SURE what version of IE and Outlook your friend is using, it is
    impossible to rule IE out as being the essential problem.

    >> Had you said that in the beginning, I or no one else would have told you
    >> to upgrade to version 6, as recommended by the link _you_ cited.

    > Still not reading very carefully there. The upgrade to IE6 would make
    > sense - even to me - if OE was the origin of the hyperlinks. It isn't.

    And you're the one not reading carefully. Go back to the MS Knowledge
    base article that was in the link YOU provided and click the link that
    says "View products that this article applies to." There are TWO
    programs listed, IE 5.5 and Outlook 2000. No mention of OE in there.

    >>> It's not *my* fault that *you* misunderstood my clearly phrased
    >>> question? How gracious of you.

    >> Clearly phrased? Due to your omission of details, we are guilty of
    >> misunderstanding? How gracious of you!

    > I did not omit details. You assumed my friend uses it just for email
    > (Outlook does a lot more than that)

    Yes you did omit details. As I mentioned above, when talking about
    software, the version is ALWAYS essential. What if your friend came to
    you and said "Windows won't allow me to install World of Warcraft."
    Wouldn't it help to know they're actually trying to install it on
    Windows 3.1?

    >>> Now, do you know whether I can solve the issue, or were you just
    >>> rushing in where angels fear to tread?

    >> No, I'm finished with you. Go ask in a Microsoft group.

    > Ah. At last - clarity. You don't know how to fix this. Thanks for the
    > admission.

    Now you're just being childish. Unless your IQ is lower than a stalk of
    celery's, then there's no way you'd mistake that for an admission. So
    are you stupider than celery or are you childish?

    Senti, Jan 6, 2007
  20. dashie

    dashie Guest

    Senti wrote:
    > > Senti wrote:
    > > (Here's the part that pertains to you...) Outlook email messages are
    > > handled
    > >> differently, depending on the format of the email message. If the email
    > >> message is formatted using plain or rich text, then hyperlinks are
    > >> handled by the default browser, as expected. (Especially this next
    > >> part...) However, for emails formatted as HTML, hyperlinks are ALWAYS
    > >> handled by Internet Explorer, regardless of the default browser setting.

    That's the bit which makes me think that the problem is incurable. I
    don't want links, plain text or html, to go to IE. Ever.

    > >> So what Beauregard was pointing out was that when Microsoft released
    > >> Internet Explorer 6, they corrected the bug that was causing that to
    > >> happen. Did you try installing IE6 to see if it worked? If not go
    > >> ahead and try it.

    Yes. We have had IE7 for some time. I realise there is a close
    relationship between IE & OE. We don't use OE, just Outlook. That was
    stated at the beginning.

    > >> Just because something may seem to be counter-intuitive does not mean it
    > >> is wrong, it just means it's probably a Microsoft product. :)

    Thanks, I get that. Really I do.

    > Where did I say it was impossible?? What I did was quote the article
    > *you* linked to and tried to direct your attention to what Beauregard
    > was trying to point out. And that is this:
    >
    > In the link that YOU provided, it says AT THE TOP that the bug was fixed
    > in IE6.

    For Outlook EXPRESS.

    > Nowhere did I say it was impossible to do what you're trying to do. If
    > you read the rest of what I posted, then you have an easy way of testing
    > to see if your friend is being affected by the bug. According to the
    > link YOU provided, Outlook handles links in a PLAIN TEXT email properly
    > by opening them in the default browser, but links in an HTML email
    > improperly, forcing them to open in IE regardless of the default browser
    > setting.
    >
    > So have you tried sending a plain text email with a link to your friend?

    I'm waiting for her to finish work, log in and reply. But unless
    OUTLOOK has this same problem, I doubt that we have the answer here.

    > If she clicks the link and it opens in the default browser, then she's
    > probably affected by the bug, in which case upgrading to IE 6 should fix
    > the problem.

    WHY? IE & OUTLOOK are not that closely related.

    If that same link opens in IE instead of the default
    > browser, then your friend most likely has a different issue.

    Yes, and I doubt it is unique to her. Is this the first time an Outlook
    home user has wanted to use FF as default, and discovered this
    behaviour (I dont think it's a bug, as such)?
    > But unless you at least *try* the troubleshooting steps provided, we
    > won't know if that's what's happening or not, will we?
    >
    > Typically, when you ask people for assistance, it's because you don't
    > know the answer. So when they offer advice, why would you dismiss it
    > out of hand without even trying it?

    Have you ever asked a question, like 'how do you fix the shower?' and
    the repeated reply comes - 'go and have a bath?

    Especially after they explain why
    > they think it will work?

    No, really, a bath will get you just as clean!

    Asking someone for advice when you're stumped
    > and then dismissing it without any real reason is counter-intuitive.

    Just put the plug in the plughole!

    dashie, Jan 6, 2007