  1. When I open "My Computer", I get a slow moving flashlight image, and it takes
    several minutes before I see partition icons. I'm not sure what triggrered
    this delay. This is a relatively fresh install.
    =?Utf-8?B?amVmZmFyZWlk?=, Jul 15, 2007

  2. If you have SATA (and / or RAID) HD's and no IDE's, then you should disable
    the IDE channel in the BIOS that serves the HD's (not theCD/DVD's!)

    Over all, it's a good idea to disable everything in the BIOS that you are
    not utilizing.

    Don't know if this will help, but it will speed things up if left to the
    defaults initially.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 15, 2007

  3. > If you have SATA (and / or RAID) HD's and no IDE's, then you should disable
    > the IDE channel in the BIOS that serves the HD's (not theCD/DVD's!)

    I have both, but it's not related to that. If I click on start run "c:\" or
    any other partition, I get an instant response. It's only slow when opening
    up the "My Computer" window. The issue is not related to hard drives or the
    dvd-rom.

    I only use X64 for Visual Studio 2005 64 bit projects, and backup of my
    32-bit XP Pro partition.

    I think I've narrowed it down to 3 things:

    1. Backup, (compare), quick format, restore, (compare) of the OS partition.
    2. HP X64 driver installaion for a HP C6180 all in one printer.
    3. One or more Microsoft updates.

    The only effect step 1 has is that the short file names of directories may
    change, but previously this only affected some icons that used short file
    name paths.
    =?Utf-8?B?amVmZmFyZWlk?=, Jul 15, 2007
  4. The slowness could be an indication that it is searching for something -
    this could be a driver issue. What backup software are you using? Is it
    native 64bit?
    HP's drivers I think are quite good but the installation can be a bit
    involved, if you suspect that remove it completely and re-install and don't
    connect the printer to your machine untill the installation tells you to.

    You wouldn't expect any delay when accessing partitions, the thing is that
    SATA is an extension to IDE/ATA and if the connectors are active and not
    used you might expect a delay when accessing general machine related info
    that concerns these resources. It probably wouldn't affect everyone.

    Personally, I've had no trouble with any updates, so cannot comment on that.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 15, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?amVmZmFyZWlk?=

    John Barnes Guest

    What changes to, say, security settings, file or simple file sharing, BIOS
    updates, did you make about the time this started to happen. If you
    temporarily disconnect non essential drives does it change? Personally I
    don't see how 1-3 could be involved. Most all of us keep up to date with
    Microsoft updates and probably most have installed SP2.
    You could delete the driver if you have the ability to restore it, which I
    assume you do since you say it is a recent installation and you installed it
    before.

    John Barnes, Jul 16, 2007
  6. Hi:
    Also make sure you don't have CD/DVD in the drive(s) when opening My Computer.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 16, 2007
  7. > I think I've narrowed it down to 3 things:
    > 1. Backup, (compare), quick format, restore, (compare) of the OS partition.
    > 2. HP X64 driver installaion for a HP C6180 all in one printer.
    > 3. One or more Microsoft updates.

    It was item 2, HP X64 drivers causing this problem. Installation goes fine,
    but once I turn on the printer and it goes through the "new hardware found"
    steps, the issue with "My Computer" occurs. It takes about 4 mintues for "My
    Computer" to open.

    I restored to a previous backup that doesn't have the HP drivers and it's
    working fine.

    Regarding item 1, the backup and restore, I have a second OS and hard drive
    that I use to backup the X64 partition. I was using xcopy or drag and drop to
    a folder, but since then I've created a file/directory copy program that also
    copies the short names and all date / time stamp info.
    =?Utf-8?B?amVmZmFyZWlk?=, Jul 17, 2007
  8. Did you follow HP driver installation procedure exactly?
    I think that you have to:
    1.- Unplug the printer
    2.- Start software installation and wait till it prompts you to install the
    printer.
    3.- Plug the printer when prompted
    4.- Finish software installation.
    There is a very detailed instruction package in HP's web site.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 17, 2007
  9. > Did you follow HP driver installation procedure exactly?

    Yes and that failed ...

    > I think that you have to:
    > 1.- Unplug the printer
    > 2.- Start software installation and wait till it prompts you to install the
    > printer.
    > 3.- Plug the printer when prompted
    > 4.- Finish software installation.
    > There is a very detailed instruction package in HP's web site.

    Step 3, if plugged in when prompted, then as the drivers are installed, the
    virus like dialog box "NT/Authority is shutting down system in 60 seconds"
    appears. Note that this is being done on a fresh install, with Java removed
    (since it has a virus weakness).

    So the steps are start and complete software installation with printer off
    (the CP6180 won't appear unless it's on). At thsi point everything is OK.
    System can be rebooted, and still no problems.

    Next step, turn on printer. Drivers will auto-install, a few "new hardward
    detected" balloons appear, and now the system is hosed up. Clicking on "My
    Computer" after this point results in a 4 minute wait before the icons appear.

    This is a dual boot system. The printer and drivers for 32-bit XP Pro work
    just fine. The downloaded drivers for XP X64 are the problem.

    The only thing I use X64 for is some 64 bit development (Visual Studio
    2005), and to back up the 32 bit XP Pro partition (I copy that volume to a
    directory on another drive).
    =?Utf-8?B?amVmZmFyZWlk?=, Jul 18, 2007