Opening files from within WORD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Colin, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Colin

    Colin Guest

    G'day everyone,
    a wierd problem as described by a friend.

    This gentlemen is a teacher and prepares documents on his work PC and takes
    them home to work on his own machine.

    If he open the documents by "double clicking" on them from an Explorer
    window , then the documents are opened in Word correctly ..

    If however he tries to open them from WITHIN WORD, i.e. by using

    FILE -> Open
    then the documents are not opened correctly and just appear as in line text,
    all formatting is lost.

    --
    Regards Colin

    Colin, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Colin

    Steve Yates Guest

    "Colin" <> wrote in message news:<bo9ad7$1ch45l$-berlin.de>...
    > G'day everyone,
    > a wierd problem as described by a friend.
    >
    > This gentlemen is a teacher and prepares documents on his work PC and takes
    > them home to work on his own machine.
    >
    > If he open the documents by "double clicking" on them from an Explorer
    > window , then the documents are opened in Word correctly ..
    >

    > If however he tries to open them from WITHIN WORD, i.e. by using
    >
    > FILE -> Open
    > then the documents are not opened correctly and just appear as in line text,
    > all formatting is lost.

    I had the same problem recently. Have him look at the "Files of type" selector
    in the Open dialog. Make sure it says "Word Documents". I had changed mine
    to "Recover Text from Any File" after Word crashed and destroyed one of my
    documents. Word remembered this setting, and continued to open files this way.

    It drove me crazy for a week, because I was only working on one file on this
    computer and I though the document was corrupt.

    Steve

    Steve Yates, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Colin

    Colin Guest

    Thanks Steve, I'll let him know to try..
    Let you know how it goes..
    Colin

    Colin, Nov 6, 2003