    However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
    that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control panel.
    I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

    eugene, Oct 22, 2007

  2. "eugene" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
    >However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
    >that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control panel.
    >I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

    Its sounds like you're a total rookie. Consider an intro course at your
    favorite local continuing education provider or maybe reading something like
    "Computers for Dummies"

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Oct 22, 2007

  3. eugene

    eugene Guest

    "Douglas C. Neidermeyer" <> wrote in message
    > "eugene" <> wrote in message
    >>I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
    >>However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
    >>that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control
    >>panel. I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

    > Its sounds like you're a total rookie. Consider an intro course at your
    > favorite local continuing education provider or maybe reading something
    > like "Computers for Dummies"

    Listen smartarse.........I asked a very simple question........if you don't
    know how to help, shove your petty remarks where the sun don't shine! I am
    not a rookie by any means. These attachments are marked DOC as I said. I am
    using a new PC and the only Word program it has is Works Word Processor and
    it won't open files labelled "DOC". So smarty pants, just cos you think you
    know it all, don't condescend and patronise people asking for
    help.............feckin' asshole!

    eugene, Oct 22, 2007
  4. eugene

    lee h Guest

    eugene wrote:
    > I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
    > However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am
    > told that I need to create an association in the Set Associations
    > control panel. I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

    Try ABIWORD, a free download.

    lee

    lee h, Oct 22, 2007
  5. eugene

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:02:16 +0100, "eugene" <> wrote:

    >"Douglas C. Neidermeyer" <> wrote in message
    >> "eugene" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
    >>>However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
    >>>that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control
    >>>panel. I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

    >> Its sounds like you're a total rookie. Consider an intro course at your
    >> favorite local continuing education provider or maybe reading something
    >> like "Computers for Dummies"
    >>

    >Listen smartarse.........I asked a very simple question........if you don't
    >know how to help, shove your petty remarks where the sun don't shine! I am
    >not a rookie by any means. These attachments are marked DOC as I said. I am
    >using a new PC and the only Word program it has is Works Word Processor and
    >it won't open files labelled "DOC". So smarty pants, just cos you think you
    >know it all, don't condescend and patronise people asking for
    >help.............feckin' asshole!

    Download and install Open Office. It will open .doc files, and it's free.

    --
    "... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
    -- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98

    Mara, Oct 22, 2007
  6. eugene

    james Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in message

    > "Douglas C. Neidermeyer" <> wrote in message
    >> "eugene" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
    >>>However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
    >>>that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control
    >>>panel. I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

    >> Its sounds like you're a total rookie. Consider an intro course at your
    >> favorite local continuing education provider or maybe reading something
    >> like "Computers for Dummies"
    >>

    > Listen smartarse.........I asked a very simple question........if you
    > don't know how to help, shove your petty remarks where the sun don't
    > shine! I am not a rookie by any means. These attachments are marked DOC as
    > I said. I am using a new PC and the only Word program it has is Works Word
    > Processor and it won't open files labelled "DOC". So smarty pants, just
    > cos you think you know it all, don't condescend and patronise people
    > asking for help.............feckin' asshole!

    Well said
    Didn't know the answer to your problem , so just ran his mouth
    Jim

    james, Oct 22, 2007
  7. eugene

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Here is the link to Open Office http://download.openoffice.org/

    pcbutts1, Oct 22, 2007
  8. eugene

    Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote:

    >I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
    >However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
    >that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control panel.
    >I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

    No need to download anything,

    Start | Run <type in>
    ASSOC .doc=wordpad.exe
    <enter>

    This will set wordpad to open a DOC file.

    You will lose formatting of the DOC (nothing fancy, just text)

    --

    clockwise or anti-clockwise?
    www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html

    , Oct 22, 2007
  9. eugene

    eugene Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "eugene" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
    >>However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
    >>that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control
    >>panel.
    >>I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

    > No need to download anything,
    >
    > Start | Run <type in>
    > ASSOC .doc=wordpad.exe
    > <enter>
    >
    > This will set wordpad to open a DOC file.
    >
    > You will lose formatting of the DOC (nothing fancy, just text)
    >
    > --
    >
    > clockwise or anti-clockwise?
    > www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html

    Thanks everybody who offered assistance. I did download OpenOffice and got
    the documents opened and read. Too late for Pennywise's suggestion but I'll
    keep it in mind.

    eugene, Oct 23, 2007
  10. eugene

    Les Hemmings Guest

    eugene wrote:
    >>> I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read
    >>> them. However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't
    >>> open. >>

    > Listen smartarse

    <<Snip newbie bollocks>>

    If you have no idea what a .doc file is your a newbie. If you can't put
    ".doc file type" into Google your a newbie. And if you rise to the bait on
    Usenet your a newbie too!

    Les

    --
    Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

    "These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
    bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
    think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

    Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

    Les Hemmings, Oct 23, 2007
  11. eugene

    Les Hemmings Guest

    Les Hemmings wrote:

    > If you have no idea what a .doc file is your a newbie. If you can't
    > put ".doc file type" into Google your a newbie. And if you rise to
    > the bait on Usenet your a newbie too!
    >
    > Les

    Forgot to add... we were all newbies once too, but in not denying the fact
    we learnt a hell of a lot more.

    Les (Newbie at heart still.. I learn more that way!)

    Les Hemmings, Oct 23, 2007
  12. eugene

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:30:27 +0100, "eugene" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >Thanks everybody who offered assistance. I did download OpenOffice and got
    >the documents opened and read. Too late for Pennywise's suggestion but I'll
    >keep it in mind.

    It's handy to have, since it's compatible with M$ Office.

    Mara, Oct 23, 2007
  13. eugene

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > It's handy to have, since it's compatible with M$ Office.

    Partly.

    --

    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
    that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
    look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.

    Leythos, Oct 23, 2007
  14. eugene

    Tony Guest

    A DOC file is an abbreviation for DOCTOR file. You have to take it to your
    local doctor only he can read this file. He puts in his authorization code then
    the message magically appears.

    Tony, Oct 23, 2007
  15. eugene

    Tony Guest

    Boy oh boy is your DOCtor going to give you shit when he finds out you read
    something only he was authorized to read. You better make an appointment and
    tell him the whole thing. If you're lucky he won't get rid of you as a patient.

    Regards Tony... Making better usenet for everyone everyday

    Tony, Oct 23, 2007
  16. eugene

    Tony Guest

    Disregard these other people they're trying to stiff you. While open office
    opened it that's cheating... this was a file that only a DOCTOR has
    authorization to read.

    Tony, Oct 23, 2007
  17. eugene

    Gordon Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in message

    > not a rookie by any means.

    Well you obviously are

    > These attachments are marked DOC as I said. I am using a new PC and the
    > only Word program it has is Works Word Processor

    And if you'd told us that in your FIRST post (not a rookie?) then if you
    have Works SUITE which has word in it, save one attachment to your HDD,
    right-click on it and choose "Open With". make sure the box "Always use etc
    etc" at the bottom is checked.
    If you have just plain WORKS then AFAIK it won't open word files.
    Try Open Office.....(better than Works anyway and is free)

    Gordon, Oct 23, 2007
  18. Tony wrote:

    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

    I'll dispute that statement...

    And how about fixing your line-length in those ludicrous lines of
    dashes? Try a max of around 72 characters. Better yet, learn to use a
    real sig. Like below:

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 23, 2007
  19. "eugene" <> wrote in message

    > "Douglas C. Neidermeyer" <> wrote in message
    >> "eugene" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have received two attachments in an e mail and I need to read them.
    >>>However, they are DOC files (whatever that is) and won't open. I am told
    >>>that I need to create an association in the Set Associations control
    >>>panel. I don't know what this means. Any suggestions?

    >> Its sounds like you're a total rookie. Consider an intro course at your
    >> favorite local continuing education provider or maybe reading something
    >> like "Computers for Dummies"
    >>

    > Listen smartarse.........I asked a very simple question........if you
    > don't know how to help, shove your petty remarks where the sun don't
    > shine! I am not a rookie by any means. These attachments are marked DOC as
    > I said. I am using a new PC and the only Word program it has is Works Word
    > Processor and it won't open files labelled "DOC". So smarty pants, just
    > cos you think you know it all, don't condescend and patronise people
    > asking for help.............feckin' asshole!

    Listen sophomore, if you don't know what a DOC file is, can't find your way
    to the Control Panel and can't figure out what to do once someone leads you
    there on a leash, you're a bald-faced rookie. And while you're at it, can
    the profanity. Children even less mature than you read these posts......

    Douglas C, Neidermeyer,
    Sergeant at Arms

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Oct 23, 2007
  20. eugene