    Prof. I've looked on Google to see if any 'normal' progs will open them but
    no luck.

    Rob Graham

    Rob Graham, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Rob Graham

    LarryLamb Guest

    "Rob Graham" <> wrote in message
    news:bqqhd1$24skr5$-berlin.de...
    > Can anyone advise me on how to open a .dat file? I'm using W98SE and WXP
    > Prof. I've looked on Google to see if any 'normal' progs will open them but
    > no luck.
    >
    > Rob Graham

    Try WinSpy at: www.acesoft.net/winspy/ it's freeware and works with most
    versions of Windows and most browsers.

    What it reveals will probably shock you.

    LarryLamb, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Rob Graham

    Guest

    On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:03:32 -0000, "Rob Graham"
    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone advise me on how to open a .dat file? I'm using W98SE and WXP
    >Prof. I've looked on Google to see if any 'normal' progs will open them but
    >no luck.
    >
    >Rob Graham

    Take your pick from the list below, not sure which one is best for
    your particular needs.

    http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=hex editor&tg=dl-2001

    , Dec 5, 2003
  4. Rob Graham

    Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 20:08:01 GMT, "LarryLamb"
    <> wrote:

    >"Rob Graham" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone advise me on how to open a .dat file? I'm using W98SE and WXP
    >> Prof. I've looked on Google to see if any 'normal' progs will open them but
    >> no luck.
    >>
    >> Rob Graham
    >>

    > Try WinSpy at: www.acesoft.net/winspy/ it's freeware and works with most
    >versions of Windows and most browsers.
    >
    >What it reveals will probably shock you.

    Do all Phoenix bios identifier strings start with the sequence BI14R4,
    BI24r4 etc?

    , Dec 5, 2003
  5. Rob Graham

    Rob Graham Guest

    Thanks guys.

    Rob

    Rob Graham, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Rob Graham

    Michael-NC Guest

    Open it with Excel.

    Michael-NC, Dec 6, 2003
  7. Rob Graham

    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone advise me on how to open a .dat file? I'm using W98SE and WXP
    >Prof. I've looked on Google to see if any 'normal' progs will open them but
    >no luck.
    >
    >Rob Graham

    In my work a .dat file is usually an ascii data file - a database.
    Typically composed of records in rows and data fields in columns. I
    might import it into a statistical analysis program, or maybe excel or
    access. Typically, I have to parse out the columns into the
    appropriate fields. For example, Record Number might be in the first 8
    columns, but I have to know how to define my fields by looking at a
    data layout dictionary.

    There are a variety of utilities for viewing and editing the contents,
    some free, some with minimal charge. Sometimes I can peek inside with
    wordpad or notepad (if the file is small) by setting the font to
    Courier New (fixed character width). Word can look at it, but you have
    to use Courier and the rows of data will wrap, making it hard to read.
    Also, if the database if very large, it will blow your word
    processor's mind.

    Also, Wordstar can look at it in non-document mode.

    Dat is also used for other things. For example, an address-keeping
    utility might store the data in a small dat file.

    I have also seen other things that use the dat suffix, but they seem
    to be something else again.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Dec 6, 2003